A&H

Almost there

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should point out throw (above) has replaced delivers in the 2016/17 LotG

The Referee Store
But, as others have said, usually the throw is just a simple method of restarting play and unless a player is gain an advantage by their method of throwing I am not too worried about the fine detail.
I think they quite clearly gain an advantage - there was a discussion recently where a poster was praised for giving a foul throw after it was taken behind the position the ball left play, under the logic that if it wasn't giving them an advantage, why would they have done it?

Same applies to a "poor technique" foul throw - releasing the ball in front of the face/chest allows it to be given to the feet of a player who is near them, wheras if they released above the head, that player would be forced to use chest/head and is more likely to lose possession as a result.

Taking a throw from the wrong position is a little different. Taking it 20 metres down field from where it should be does provide a clear advantage to the team taking the throw as it does not allow the opposition to set up properly.

Same applies to a "poor technique" foul throw - releasing the ball in front of the face/chest allows it to be given to the feet of a player who is near them, wheras if they released above the head, that player would be forced to use chest/head and is more likely to lose possession as a result.

So?
Where in the LOTG does it say that a throw-in shouldn't be easy for a player to control? Where does it say that it should be just a teensy-weensy bit more difficult than a pass with the foot or some thing. You think it's fair that a team who has just won a throw in should be "more likely to lose possession" (your words) with a certain technique being used?
There you go again mate, putting your own angle on it. All you're saying there is "Take the throw player, but mind, I want you to do it according to my preconceived ideas of how it should be done" or I'll award it to the other team. :rolleyes:
Like Padders said, it's a method of getting the ball back into play - not something for a referee to attach degrees of difficulty to. :)

I think they quite clearly gain an advantage - there was a discussion recently where a poster was praised for giving a foul throw after it was taken behind the position the ball left play, under the logic that if it wasn't giving them an advantage, why would they have done it?

Poor technique is not a contravention of the LOTG.....

The new wording may well cause more problems.....

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:
• face the field of play
•  have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the
touchline
•  throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point
where it left the field of play

Does that mean it now has to be released behind the head and travel over the head? So a throwing action that releases the ball above the head is now in contravention of the LOTG?

:confused:

Poor technique is not a contravention of the LOTG.....

The new wording may well cause more problems.....

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:
• face the field of play
•  have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the
touchline
•  throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point
where it left the field of play

Does that mean it now has to be released behind the head and travel over the head? So a throwing action that releases the ball above the head is now in contravention of the LOTG?

:confused:
To move to a different part of the law for a second (and acknowledging that I probably haven't always applied it or the other aspects to the letter--quite difficult in my experience of youth football), would/do you therefore categorise as a foul throw the action of players (usually long throwers) who run up and are almost parallel to the line when they release the ball, all else being legal? I wouldn't call that 'facing the field of play'.

To move to a different part of the law for a second (and acknowledging that I probably haven't always applied it or the other aspects to the letter--quite difficult in my experience of youth football), would/do you therefore categorise as a foul throw the action of players (usually long throwers) who run up and are almost parallel to the line when they release the ball, all else being legal? I wouldn't call that 'facing the field of play'.

I would regard everything between 91 degrees and 269 degrees as faceing the field of play because if they were parallel the ball would never come onto the pitch

So?
Where in the LOTG does it say that a throw-in shouldn't be easy for a player to control? Where does it say that it should be just a teensy-weensy bit more difficult than a pass with the foot or some thing. You think it's fair that a team who has just won a throw in should be "more likely to lose possession" (your words) with a certain technique being used?
There you go again mate, putting your own angle on it. All you're saying there is "Take the throw player, but mind, I want you to do it according to my preconceived ideas of how it should be done" or I'll award it to the other team. :rolleyes:
Like Padders said, it's a method of getting the ball back into play - not something for a referee to attach degrees of difficulty to. :)
OK chippy, no need to pounce on everything I post. I was explicitly answering another poster, who used the concept of "gaining an advantage" first, so I think you're deliberately misreading my post if you somehow think this is my agenda.

Working on the assumption that me and 99% of the footballing world are right and releasing a throw in front of the face is a foul throw, the question asked was "how does that give the thrower an advantage over a proper throw?". Which I answered.

I would regard everything between 91 degrees and 269 degrees as faceing the field of play because if they were parallel the ball would never come onto the pitch

combine these 2 (to acknowledge @SLI39's post and @HertsFinest pointing out that parallel would'nt quite be accurate) and add it to the player taking the throw level with where it left the FOP, but being 5 yards away from the touchline, the ball would not enter the FOP from where it left....
would that make it an invalid throw?

my patience is being tried here - can we not just have a nice, friendly debate and discussion without it dissolving into bitter argument. I certainly do not want to close a thread where the majority of forum users are behaving perfectly fine.

@Kes and @GraemeS - your bickering is spoiling the thread for those that can behave and want to have a discussion. Thread ban and a warning point should be expected if this carries on.

Just ignore each other if you cannot be civil to each other.

Thanks.

http://www.trollfootball.me/videos/view/n-casillas-foul-throw

i seem to remember this was given as a foul throw.... this is the sort of thing you're referring to @GraemeS ?

That's the point though Richard. Given as a foul throw or not - there's nothing that player does that contravenes the requirements of Law 15. Nothing at all. People have a preconceived idea of how they think a throw-in should look and call anything that doesn't a "foul throw". That's what makes the whole thing a joke. ;)

That's the point though Richard. Given as a foul throw or not - there's nothing that player does that contravenes the requirements of Law 15. Nothing at all. People have a preconceived idea of how they think a throw-in should look and call anything that doesn't a "foul throw". That's what makes the whole thing a joke. ;)
yup, i appreciate that and in fact theres a lot of clumsy looking, nay downright ugly, throws that i dont penalise because of my appreciation of that fact.
in that clip though it does look like Casillas drops the ball once it gets in front of his face, which is why i would agree with the ref on that occasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back