A&H

Champions League Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot about the goal line official. Had he been over on the side that makes sense he would have been in perfect view.
This is the problem. He practically has the same view as the AR. The keeper himself may well have blocked it, same as the AR. It's a blurry video, but it doesn't look like a big swing, which is why I'm thinking it was easy to miss.

The AAR for me remains stuck on that line. one foot on the park and he sees that
Far too static and either terrified by dictatorship to stay off the park, or just simply unwilling to make a major call.

Its like ARs who never go beyond half way, like it gaurded by an electric fence

Needs must, do what you need to get the calls right

The Referee Store
I used to fall out with his ilk on Sunday League, he’s a walking card, I knew a midfielder who was similar, obviously different level but same script. I watched him specifically from the side on one game and I saw the stuff at corners and the WUM stuff that as a Ref you may miss. Wasn’t may game but he had 2-3 cautionable things that got missed because he was clever at it!

I made that point earlier. Nobody is going to tell me this referee or officials do not know to watch Ramos like a hawk.
I prev said it was poor awareness by the officials on the Ramos Sallah battle
Now I have seen this too, it makes it diabolical. You cannot tolerate ref, Ar and AAR all leaving Ramos charging in on gk to go unwatched

Im a firm believer of go with your gut instinct, the moment I saw it I thought keeper howler.

Nothing since has changed my mind.

Whereas mine was foul......and still largely unchanged.......he deliberately stepped across the GK as he was in the act of releasing the ball......he was closer than 2m, which I know applies to throw in’s but is a useful distance to use as a reference for what the ‘spirit of the game’ views as a fair distance to use for such things, but I accept that others may interpret it differently to justify their decisions......

Clearly using frame by frame images you can see that Karius still has ‘control’ of the ball when Benzema starts his attempt to block the release (can’t be an ‘interception’ as the ball isn’t yet released) which is a foul.....not sure we can expect the human eye to make such distinctions in real time though.

Understand why it was allowed to stand, even if ultimately it is the wrong decision.

Hi
Three videos all of which are preventing release and should be penalised. Not even close to the Benzema situation

The AAR for me remains stuck on that line. one foot on the park and he sees that
Far too static and either terrified by dictatorship to stay off the park, or just simply unwilling to make a major call.

Can you elaborate on your view there?

Hi

Three videos all of which are preventing release and should be penalised. Not even close to the Benzema situation
You know that finding 3 dissimilar incidents isn't actually an argument either way on the Benzema one, right? ;-) lol

"Here are 3 completely different incidents that are fouls therefore the other one shouldn't be" skips a logical step or 17 :D:D

Can you elaborate on your view there?

You know that finding 3 dissimilar incidents isn't actually an argument either way on the Benzema one, right? ;-) lol

"Here are 3 completely different incidents that are fouls therefore the other one shouldn't be" skips a logical step or 17 :D:D

tech area say semi pro leagues, say, 10 yards down touchline. See and hear a lot or AR's shouting down the line rather than take a few steps over half way line to speak
Free kick awarded 5/6 yards in other half and opponent is maybe too close and about to be a nuisance? AR stands static and shouts or points, take a few yards onto park or beyond half way and be proactive
tackle 5/6 yards in other half down line which looks like it provokes retaliation, no point standing there stuck on the half way line watching it when a bit of awareness, 3 quick steps forward, and you can defuse it

You are allowed when the occasion permits to cross the half way line.
(and no, before someone suggests it, I dont mean running up and down to the other corner flag for 90 mins)

We penalise those and in the One example it is a foul as Benzema is then closer and as part of his action he is trying to stop the throw which is a foul. That is not what happened here.
In my example it is exactly what happened here, same distance (not closer), the only difference is he does it repetitively and the keeper doesn't release it because if he does release, it will get blocked.

The point of my example was, if Benzema does exactly the same thing thrice (and the keeper doesn't release), we think its an offence, but does it only once, the keeper releases and its blocked, are we saying its no offence?

Whereas mine was foul......and still largely unchanged.......he deliberately stepped across the GK as he was in the act of releasing the ball......he was closer than 2m, which I know applies to throw in’s but is a useful distance to use as a reference for what the ‘spirit of the game’ views as a fair distance to use for such things, but I accept that others may interpret it differently to justify their decisions......

Clearly using frame by frame images you can see that Karius still has ‘control’ of the ball when Benzema starts his attempt to block the release (can’t be an ‘interception’ as the ball isn’t yet released) which is a foul.....not sure we can expect the human eye to make such distinctions in real time though.

Understand why it was allowed to stand, even if ultimately it is the wrong decision.

In your opinion.

In your opinion.
I must admit that i originally thought the goal was correctly allowed. No doubt in my mind. Having read through the thread, I've probably swung the other way. Problem is, this incident sets a precedent (like case law) and players all over the world will now expect any repeats to reach the same decision

I must admit that i originally thought the goal was correctly allowed. No doubt in my mind. Having read through the thread, I've probably swung the other way. Problem is, this incident sets a precedent (like case law) and players all over the world will now expect any repeats to reach the same decision

I totally get the against side of the debate & hand on heart to the letter of the law it’s probably right but I’ll stick with my gut & say Karius you plonker that’s a goal chaps.

As for us at grass roots damn we better get our story straight & rehearsed ready for next season because I’ve got a sneaky feeling this will show its ugly head from the word go!

Cheers Mr Benzema & Karius

I don't buy the "what football expects" argument to allow this goal. Surely what football expects is for a keeper to be able to release the ball unimpeded? The precedent of allowing players to harass a keeper while he's kicking/throwing a ball out is worrying, and I would certainly appreciate some official clarification before it inevitably comes up in pre-season!

I don't buy the "what football expects" argument to allow this goal. Surely what football expects is for a keeper to be able to release the ball unimpeded? The precedent of allowing players to harass a keeper while he's kicking/throwing a ball out is worrying, and I would certainly appreciate some official clarification before it inevitably comes up in pre-season!
Agreed, and I think the reason this goal is not being debated in the public is because other circumstances in the game. Its easy to blame Karius for it after what he did for the third goal not because this is what football expects. Had this been the only goal of the game in the 90th minute, there would be many debates about its validity in the wider footballing community with split opinions. Split opinions by definition negates "what football expects".

Just read 8 pages of making a mountain out of a molehill. It's a goal. If a keeper wants to be stupid enough to throw the ball that close to an attacker, let them. Benzema intercepted the obvious throw just like intercepting a quick free kick is allowed.

If a player is stupid enough to put his faces in front of an opponent's fist, let him. The opponent was just swinging his fist in the air, play on :D

If a player is stupid enough to put his faces in front of an opponent's fist, let him. The opponent was just swinging his fist in the air, play on :D

Karius threw the ball at Benezema's leg. If a player throws their head at someone's fist, I'm not sending the player off for a punch.

I totally get the against side of the debate & hand on heart to the letter of the law it’s probably right but I’ll stick with my gut & say Karius you plonker that’s a goal chaps.

As for us at grass roots damn we better get our story straight & rehearsed ready for next season because I’ve got a sneaky feeling this will show its ugly head from the word go!

Cheers Mr Benzema & Karius

So you’d happily make a decision that you know to be incorrect just because it feels good?

I really don’t think refereeing is going to get any easier for you.......

Karius threw the ball at Benezema's leg. If a player throws their head at someone's fist, I'm not sending the player off for a punch.

Especially if there fist is by there side :D

However the leg shouldn’t have been there because he shouldn’t have been challenging the GK as he had ‘control’ of the ball.....hence why it is a foul and disallowed goal.

I don't think the officials have much of a chance of seeing that. I've slowed it down frame by frame and can't be sure if it was an elbow or his shoulder. The AAR gets one look at full speed, looking straight through Karius and possibly the post as well (although I accept he could move to stop the post being in the way).

28vgk2f.jpg

So you’d happily make a decision that you know to be incorrect just because it feels good?

I really don’t think refereeing is going to get any easier for you.......

I’m not 100% convinced it wasn’t the correct call I’m saying I can see the for and against argument & the law is probably on the against side but I’m still gonna stick with my first look & gut instinct of goal.

But don’t worry if someone winds a player up in my game to the point he gets a slap for it I’ll still send the player off for VC, also if a players big toe is offside & the Lino sticks the flag up I’ll still blow for offside.

Thanks for the concern though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back