A&H

Citee V Foxes

The Referee Store
Agreed; it's a good spot by Madley. He must have been hyper-aware after the Griezmann incident earlier in the week.
I do have a problem with the current law, though. I was criticised for trying to make a comparison with tennis, and I understand sports are different in countless ways, but for me the double touch law should specify deliberate touches.
The difficulty at the moment is that referees are probably missing minuscule offences of this type every week. I am trying to find a difference in kind, rather than degree, between the Griezmann and Mahrez penalties, but I'm not so certain now. Accidentally kicking it against your other foot should not be sanctioned in my view, and (while I am always happy to be educated) I'm not sure it's even what the laws mean by playing the ball twice anyway.

Even as a City fan I agree on the goal - Sterling makes a deliberate play for the ball, could also make the case he was interfering with an opponent (either the defender or obscuring Schmeichel's view).

As for the penalty, amazing spot. Not sure how I feel about the law as a whole though, my gut says it should be changed but equally if we're opening up a can of worms if we're then trying to ascertain intent.

Sterling offside, clearly made a movement towards the ball. Great spot on the penalty, but are we ignoring the fact that the foul by Clichy was outside the box?

Fernandinho really is a [moderator edit] person of dubious integrity
I'll be interested to see what action the FA take (chance'd be a fine thing)
Should be a 6 match ban plus another 2 for his previous 2 reds the man is an animal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed; it's a good spot by Madley. He must have been hyper-aware after the Griezmann incident earlier in the week.
I do have a problem with the current law, though. I was criticised for trying to make a comparison with tennis, and I understand sports are different in countless ways, but for me the double touch law should specify deliberate touches.
The difficulty at the moment is that referees are probably missing minuscule offences of this type every week. I am trying to find a difference in kind, rather than degree, between the Griezmann and Mahrez penalties, but I'm not so certain now. Accidentally kicking it against your other foot should not be sanctioned in my view, and (while I am always happy to be educated) I'm not sure it's even what the laws mean by playing the ball twice anyway.
Then players would practice making the second touch look accidental as they do with finding a foot to fall over to win a penalty

Sterling offside, clearly made a movement towards the ball. Great spot on the penalty, but are we ignoring the fact that the foul by Clichy was outside the box?
Should go to Specsavers if you believe that's outside the penalty area. They can help remove the blue tint from your glasses.

Sterling......obviously offside....but this is Bobby Madley so nothing is obvious.

Mahrez penalty......very definition of "Spirit of the game".......goal should have stood, although to the technical letter of the law Madley was correct......

Albrighton elbow.....yellow at the very least.........but again, this was the Bobby Madley show.

I'm not questioning your eyesight just the blue tinted glasses you use. Believe me the foul was inside the penalty area.

I have yet to see a single angle that shows that to be inside the area. Happy to proved wrong, as always, but it was not in the area.

Just seen the angle that the linesman had, which shows it to be on the line (albeit very close).

*retreats into the shadows feeling suitably embarassed* :oops:

Fernandinho really is a [moderator edit] person of dubious integrity.
I'll be interested to see what action the FA take (chance'd be a fine thing)
Should be a 6 match ban plus another 2 for his previous 2 reds the man is an animal.

Seriously? At least he hasn't claimed Albrighton headed his elbow (copyright Ibrahimovic). The only deliberate elbow in the game was to stop Sterling on a run, not penalised as Sterling kept running.

In any case, in terms of applying the interpretation on interfering, does Sterling being there "clearly impact on the ability of an opponent to play the ball”? Neither Schmeichel nor the defender nearest Sterling moved a muscle before the ball was in the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a neutral watching on MotD, it would have been better if the penalty had been retaken. The double-touch is unfair on the GK, as it changes the direction of the ball, whilst the free kick to Man City as a result of the double-touch was unfair to Leicester - rightly awarded a penalty, and the player slips as he takes the penalty. The spirit of the game would have been a retake, and the laws could be updated to include an ITOOTR.

Mahrez touched the ball twice, ergo its a free-kick.

Similar comments on here to those on MoTD and other fora, that it wasn't intentional so it should've been play on.

Right now its black and white, unlike another part of law where the whole "judgement" thing comes in...*cough* handball *cough* So many debates and discussions over that - at least the uncertainty is avoided here.

Back