A&H

Drinks Breaks?

The Referee Store
the use of the word or instead of and suggests that time is allowed for drinks breaks, period. And a secondaey allowance is made for other medical breaks permitted by the competition rules.
I would tend to disagree. As you also said, it can be read either way but the more likely interpretation (IMHO) is that it applies to both parts of the sentence, especially when the explanation of the change on page 132 of the Laws refers to, "In particular, approved ‘drinks breaks’ "

Having said that, I'm not arguing that referees should refuse drinks breaks just because they're not mentioned in the competition rules, if the weather conditions are such that they are required for the health of the players. I think a "spirit of the game" argument would apply here. My original point was simply that since drinks breaks should be mentioned in the ROC, that would be a good place to start looking.

I would tend to disagree. As you also said, it can be read either way but the more likely interpretation (IMHO) is that it applies to both parts of the sentence, especially when the explanation of the change on page 132 of the Laws refers to, "In particular, approved ‘drinks breaks’ "

Having said that, I'm not arguing that referees should refuse drinks breaks just because they're not mentioned in the competition rules, if the weather conditions are such that they are required for the health of the players. I think a "spirit of the game" argument would apply here. My original point was simply that since drinks breaks should be mentioned in the ROC, that would be a good place to start looking.
Ah yes I see that now. I only looked at the law itself. One would assume that when the 17/18 is published we'll lose that section (it will be there but for the 17/18 changes).
And juts to clarify I am on the side if allowing drinks

So you gonna run risk of players on one side becoming ill due to the decision of players on the other side? You are the referee, you are responsible for the safety of the players, you make that call !!!

"oh sorry your number 7 passed out, the other team said he was not to get a drink"

aye ok.

I've never had one team agree to it and the other not. It just doesn't happen.

So you gonna run risk of players on one side becoming ill due to the decision of players on the other side? You are the referee, you are responsible for the safety of the players, you make that call !!!

"oh sorry your number 7 passed out, the other team said he was not to get a drink"

aye ok.

It's not a case of denying a player water, it's just a case of not having a designated stop in play for everybody to have a water. Most of the time players are running to the side of a pitch when an injury occurs or the goalkeeper is fetching the ball to go and have a drink.

I for one would happily have the break if both teams agree but if one doesn't I wont have the break.

Oooh trying to tie me in knots with double negatives.

Believe what you want. You have never attended any of my games. You don't know

Never even had a player go down with cramp and a team mate or indeed opponent gives him a stretch?
If you are the referee who force a 12 yo on the centre spot to be taken to the touchline in the pouring rain by the one club official who already has his hands full and is losing 7-0 with no subs, to be given a sponge or spray (regardless that we know these things dont cure malaria) then i am glad i have never seen you referee as i would be left shaking my head as to how officious and without regard for the spirit of the game you are.
I decree that a lot of what you post is to make you appear as some kind of moral guardian of the lotg, when in reality, had you practised half of what you preach, you yourself would be, or would have been, the Premierships top official.

Show me one public park referee who does not allow injured players to be treated on the pitch?

its called common sense. And it far outweighs the courtroom examination of a referee manual.
At the top levels players treated on the pitch all the time as well!

Never even had a player go down with cramp and a team mate or indeed opponent gives him a stretch?
If you are the referee who force a 12 yo on the centre spot to be taken to the touchline in the pouring rain by the one club official who already has his hands full and is losing 7-0 with no subs, to be given a sponge or spray (regardless that we know these things dont cure malaria) then i am glad i have never seen you referee as i would be left shaking my head as to how officious and without regard for the spirit of the game you are.
I decree that a lot of what you post is to make you appear as some kind of moral guardian of the lotg, when in reality, had you practised half of what you preach, you yourself would be, or would have been, the Premierships top official.
I'm really impressed you think so highly of me but again you demonstrate your lack of knowledge otherwise you'd know about the diagnosis of my heart condition which curtailed my training and fitness. You keep on going though, you seem to think you know a lot about me.

Mate I have no interest in who you are health wise, my only involvment with you is as a poster on a refereeing forum
Are you that important that any poster has to first check your medical condition before commenting on a post you may type
Am saying if you are an active referee, you will have at some point had a player at some level recieve treatment on the field. You are saying you have never has that. And that is more than ok. Nothing to do with personally who you are. Simply what you have typed.

AC_Invalid_Carriage_1976-712x490.jpg

Wakey to Saltaire!!!!.... I've heard Brian has set off, he'll be about 40 minutes!!! :eek:.... Its a race over 10 yards and a referee quiz? Best ref wins!!!

I am a member of another forum..the rules there are debate the post not the poster.
To jump on pointing the finger saying you did this you do that to a well respected poster who you know nothing about in terms of refereeing/observing abilities is narrow minded to say the least.
What is obvious is that Brian has 2700 posts on this forum and has been a member over 6 years. During this time he has built a reputation as someone who can be relied on for guidance and support in refereeing and is regularly tagged in posts he hasnt contributed to for his thoughts. That tells me his opinions are well thought of and respected. This doesnt just happen. Maybe when you've been around for as long you might get a similar rep but based on some of your posts to the forum thus far, I am doubtful.
So, my advice to you again is debate the topic, not the contributors.

The topic was/is drinks breaks. I then added in "treatment of injury on the park". "Brian" denies it has ever happened on his watch. My take on his post is that is doubtful at best. Its not HIM am debating, its his take that a player has at no time received treatment on games he has officiated at. Am allowed that element of doubt. Unless their are certain posters whose comments cannot be questioned for fear of expulsion. If that's the case, maybe they should be highlighted somewhere that whatever X Y and Z say, is gospel and cannot be called into question. Am not debating "him". Am debating his contribution to the post.

Did this early in September last year on a really hot day, both coaches were happy with it but this also left the parents bemused by the decision.....not the first time.

I am doing a grass roots festival in sunny suffolk so if the kids need to stop for a drinks break I will have no hesitation to stop. It is common sense.

Scottish cup final. National final. Six mins now Tierney been treated on pitch. But of course some folk on here claim it would never happen on their watch...

Scottish cup final. National final. Six mins now Tierney been treated on pitch. But of course some folk on here claim it would never happen on their watch...

I've only ever allowed one player to receive treatment on the pitch, and that was due to a suspected neck injury, so the match was abandoned (took the ambulance over an hour to turn up).

I will allow a player to receive an initial (quick) assessment on the pitch, after which they leave and either receive continuing treatment, or wait til I wave them back on.

What type of injury has he received, and if the result of a foul was the offender cautioned?

Back