A&H

Level 4 promotions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I'm all for bringing new talent through but 16/17 is far too young to be competent to ref the big boys, learn you craft, grow some hair on ye chin, grasp some experience, learn from colleagues and then maybe, just maybe, you may be ready to dip your toe.

I was never tested by my more experienced peers because I had no need or desire to go further up the ladder but had I not grown a pair over my 10-11 year career I would have royally fecked up many a game. I've seen lads (and older guys too) on adjacent pitches, dolled up with all the clobber, level this and level that, don't care. I've also heard the absolute grief that burley centre halves can bellow out and they just stand there..Cardable tackles flying in and they wave play on..... and do absolutely nothing!!! Scary that a 16/17 year old actually thinks its a good idea.... Its a bit like passing your driving test and getting in a Sports car, everybody knows you will soon run out of luck and talent!!!

that's so narrow minded......you don't just get given level 4.....you earn it! so regardless of age, every man and woman on that list deserves it!
there are young men and women 18> at the top of every sport, so why cant a young referee succeed?

Last edited:
Soem counties will allow a "double jump" 7-5. And with the increase in matches needed to be covered on the line and the middle increasing I would suggest 1 jump each season.

that's so narrow minded......you don't just get given level 4.....you earn it! so regardless of age, every man and woman on that list deserves it!
there are young men and women 18> at the top of every sport, so why cant a young referee succeed?

The issue is promotion too fast means they are not fully experienced to handle difficult matches. I have seen referees become L4 before they are ready (due to lack of numbers in the CFA), get into a couple of difficult matches, make mistakes (and marked accordingly) and give up refereeing completely.

These "chosen" kids are pushed by the RDO and have "smoke blown up their ****", never hearing poor comments about their refereeing.

We need encourage development but not to hinder the whole of the referee development. If they are good enough they will get to the top - but remember Stuart Atwells first attempt at EPL!

Why can't young men / women get cheap insurance on sports cars.... They are as qualified as others that have passed the test?? The reason is that statistically the more experienced you are the better equipped you are for the dangers ahead!

Sorry, (there are exceptions) but on the whole a 16/17 year old still in nappies isn't ready for the big wide world of open age football...do all the assessments and criteria tick boxes you like, run around all the cones you like, you aren't ready!!!

Why can't young men / women get cheap insurance on sports cars.... They are as qualified as others that have passed the test?? The reason is that statistically the more experienced you are the better equipped you are for the dangers ahead!

Sorry, (there are exceptions) but on the whole a 16/17 year old still in nappies isn't ready for the big wide world of open age football...do all the assessments and criteria tick boxes you like, run around all the cones you like, you aren't ready!!!

16/17 year olds are ready for open age football. To think otherwise is quite worrying.

Whether they are ready for senior football such as supply league middles, is another matter.

I was lucky enough to receive that e-mail as well. Congratulations to all on the list. I am also lucky enough to have refereed one supply league game as level 5 so I have got a sip of experience already - and feeling is great.

I once worked with a young L4 who admitted that he had never had a mass confrontation in a game.

I'm all for making your mistakes at a lower level and gaining the experience there, rather than when it matters more.

I think it is harsh to judge how someone will cope with the stresses of level 4 based solely on age.

I believe that nothing beats the experience gained from doing your time in the trenches, and that CFAs pushing people through simply because they are young can be counter productive as those who can't hack it may give up altogether when they realise that they aren't as good as they've been lead to believe.

However, having said that all of the academy guys I've worked with have been very good, often better than some of the more 'mature' level 5 and 6s that I've worked with. But, obviously I've not worked at supply league level, so I can't judge them by that metric.

I guess what I'm trying to say is let's leave the criticism until we say how many of those younger guys and girls stay at level 4 and how many drop back down to 5.

I think it is harsh to judge how someone will cope with the stresses of level 4 based solely on age.

I believe that nothing beats the experience gained from doing your time in the trenches, and that CFAs pushing people through simply because they are young can be counter productive as those who can't hack it may give up altogether when they realise that they aren't as good as they've been lead to believe.

However, having said that all of the academy guys I've worked with have been very good, often better than some of the more 'mature' level 5 and 6s that I've worked with. But, obviously I've not worked at supply league level, so I can't judge them by that metric.

I guess what I'm trying to say is let's leave the criticism until we say how many of those younger guys and girls stay at level 4 and how many drop back down to 5.
I think this is right. Academy refs are going to be monitored and observed far earlier in their careers and far more regularly as well. I had 2 years to develop bad habits before an observer turned up to tell me how I was doing and I'm now 4 years in and have still only had 6 observations with varying degrees of quality and insight.

I would not be surprised to find out that an academy ref with 4 years experience is far better than me with 4 years experience - and if we go back to 2 years ago just before my first observation, there would be no contest. Actual age is much less of a factor.

I think this is right. Academy refs are going to be monitored and observed far earlier in their careers and far more regularly as well. I had 2 years to develop bad habits before an observer turned up to tell me how I was doing and I'm now 4 years in and have still only had 6 observations with varying degrees of quality and insight.

I would not be surprised to find out that an academy ref with 4 years experience is far better than me with 4 years experience - and if we go back to 2 years ago just before my first observation, there would be no contest. Actual age is much less of a factor.

In terms of your point on experience, i think that would depend on what games are being done. Yes, an academy referee may have great positioning and looked very polished on the pitch. But can he manage mental Dave who plays centre back for the Red Lion? How will he deal with having 4 or 5 players crowding him when he has given a 91st minute penalty in a big game? Can he find the right words to diffuse situations? Do they know when to smile and have a laugh and when to switch it?

Experience on the pitch is everything and life experience plays a big part too, there is no rush. The best thing i ever did was have an extra year at level 5, it taught me so much and allowed to have a higher standard of games.

From a purely selfish point of view, when at L4 it is a competition to be at the top of the bandings. IF (and I mean IF) the new guys in my County aren't up to it, I will look good by comparison and will be in a higher band as a result.

At this level, only worry about your own game and not others.

From a purely selfish point of view, when at L4 it is a competition to be at the top of the bandings. IF (and I mean IF) the new guys in my County aren't up to it, I will look good by comparison and will be in a higher band as a result.

At this level, look after yourself because I guarantee the other referees are doing just that.

What's the criteria from going from 4 to 3? Top bandings for club and observer marks?

I was lucky enough to receive that e-mail as well. Congratulations to all on the list. I am also lucky enough to have refereed one supply league game as level 5 so I have got a sip of experience already - and feeling is great.

Congratulations mate, I too had a supply game middle in my season as a 5 and it was a great experience, realky gave me a drive to get my 4 and now to go and nail it

What's the criteria from going from 4 to 3? Top bandings for club and observer marks?
Normally AA (top 20% for both clubs and observers), but you can be this grade and not taken. Depends of FA requirements, your location and other factors like admin / availability, etc They can take AB (A for observers and B for clubs).

Normally AA (top 20% for both clubs and observers), but you can be this grade and not taken. Depends of FA requirements, your location and other factors like admin / availability, etc They can take AB (A for observers and B for clubs).
Some A/C went last season from 4 to 3 and there might be more this season. If there's spots to fill...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back