A&H

Liverpool v Man U

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I'm not saying it wasn't dissent, but it wasn't as demonstrative as throwing your arm in the direction of the referee. And it was in the first half rather than 2nd half stoppage time, anyone thinking that won't have had an impact on his thinking process is at best naĂŻve.
I think this is poor example and a poor shout all round tbh

Salah offside in his own half, came back from offside and Oliver made UTd take FK back in their own half, from the point Salah came from.
Is it possible he was pouting back to show where the player was to be OS, and the players interpretted that as where the kick should be and he didn’t care since it was no where near the attacking third?

Nope sorry not for me many on here cover for poor decision but I will put bias aside and call that as what it was a poor lack of judgement.
I agree unnecessary from MO, game expects one caution. If he had run 20 yards to be in MO’s face then I am ok with it but he didn’t.

Particularly as it was an incorrect throw in decision which wasn’t that difficult to see. I think MO should be saying & calming him down, “Sorry I didn’t see the touch, but you can’t react like that”

In the 94th minute of a Derby deep in the attacking third

I get 1 yellow. Fine with that. But red is so over the top imo.
The 94th minute is far and away the best time to do it if you're going to.

Had it happened in the 2nd minute, the offence is exactly the same but then one team plays virtually the whole match with a player less and the decision becomes potentially a result changing one!!

The 94th minute is far and away the best time to do it if you're going to.

Had it happened in the 2nd minute, the offence is exactly the same but then one team plays virtually the whole match with a player less and the decision becomes potentially a result changing one!!
Well yes, but I'd prefer it not to happen at all

For as long as I've been on this forum (it seems like for ever!) posters have been rightly bemoaning the lack of strong example being set in regards to dissent, DTR, time wasting etc by our most senior officials in the highest profile games. Whilst there are, as ever, debates to be had about consistency and individual decisions, surely the biggest point here is that we should be massively celebrating and supporting the widespread and ongoing clampdown that is happening ... it certainly makes our lives easier when we then do our jobs properly. In the space of a month, our top two officials have now gone dissent YC, OFFINABUS rec card (Anthony Taylor - Lewis Dunk) and now today's dissent YC, dissent YC = RC in a game between two of the biggest clubs in the country. It's what we've been crying out for ......

I agree unnecessary from MO, game expects one caution. If he had run 20 yards to be in MO’s face then I am ok with it but he didn’t.

Particularly as it was an incorrect throw in decision which wasn’t that difficult to see. I think MO should be saying & calming him down, “Sorry I didn’t see the touch, but you can’t react like that”
I see. So cautioning a specific behavior means “now you’re free to do exactly what I just cautioned you for again, as the game doesn’t expect you to be cautioned again, so go wild”? I knew that applied to goalkeepers wasting time, but I didn’t know it applied to highly visible dissent.

For as long as I've been on this forum (it seems like for ever!) posters have been rightly bemoaning the lack of strong example being set in regards to dissent, DTR, time wasting etc by our most senior officials in the highest profile games. Whilst there are, as ever, debates to be had about consistency and individual decisions, surely the biggest point here is that we should be massively celebrating and supporting the widespread and ongoing clampdown that is happening ... it certainly makes our lives easier when we then do our jobs properly. In the space of a month, our top two officials have now gone dissent YC, OFFINABUS rec card (Anthony Taylor - Lewis Dunk) and now today's dissent YC, dissent YC = RC in a game between two of the biggest clubs in the country. It's what we've been crying out for ......
It's what happens when the members forget that this isn't a fans forum ... ;)

And this is where 'what the games expects' has become a problem. As officials have allowed players off with too much for too long, especially when it comes down to second cautions, it has become the norm. But in reality, it needs dealing with.

If players are stupid enough to commit an offence, get a caution and then basically repeat the offence; they're asking for trouble. We knew at the beginning of the season that they would get rougher on dissent, this is a prime example of it.

In reality, Nunez should have been done for a second yellow as well.

I see. So cautioning a specific behavior means “now you’re free to do exactly what I just cautioned you for again, as the game doesn’t expect you to be cautioned again, so go wild”? I knew that applied to goalkeepers wasting time, but I didn’t know it applied to highly visible dissent.
I‘m ok with that notion, but it has to be the right double dissent offence, I don't think this was it. Others may disagree, but if PGMOL are going to be consistent and follow this up we will see this replicated many times this season.

I‘m ok with that notion, but it has to be the right double dissent offence, I don't think this was it. Others may disagree, but if PGMOL are going to be consistent and follow this up we will see this replicated many times this season.
I'm completely the opposite. I think this was the perfect type of dissent as it was so visible. To a worldwide audience watching at home, I'd say it's easier to give a dissent caution for physical dissent than it is verbal.

Ideally they will be consistent with it. Although I wouldn't hold my breath.

Had this happened elsewhere in the world, no one would bat at eyelid. But England always tends to err on the side of caution (pardon the pun) and will basically downgrade a situation. As well as this scenario, SFP is another example of this.

It's the exact same visible action, repeated after the ref has shown the initial card. I'm not sure how much more "right" it could possibly be? We don't even need to know what was said and it's still clearly justifiable.

Strange that Dalot sees red when Haaland screaming in Simon Hooper’s face and making physical contact only earns him a yellow…

That old devil called inconsistency

If you get a caution for throwing your arm towards the referee, only to then do exactly the same gesture after you have been shown the yellow card, you have rocks for brains. It's like putting your hand on a hot BBQ, thinking wow that hurt, then doing exactly the same again 10 seconds later.

The Nunez one is a little different as it isn't as obviously dissent, an argument could be made that he is congratulation Stu Burt on a good decision. We all know he wasn't, but it makes it more subjective. Plus it wasn't in 2nd half stoppage time, and rightly or wrongly he would have been castigated after "he had ruined the game" for sending a team down to 10 players in the first half.
I'm sure no one thinks here thinks it would be right to castigate a referee for applying the law at any point in the game. Not even at Anfield.

(I'll take the YC for sarcasm.)

Strange that Dalot sees red when Haaland screaming in Simon Hooper’s face and making physical contact only earns him a yellow…

That old devil called inconsistency
Or maybe Howard Webb got the officials together and told them, “Yeah, that Haaland thing? We aren’t letting that happen again.”

We sometimes act like professional officials don’t ever course correct after something happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back