A&H

New kit free... For L3 & L4 and above refs...

I thought caring about badges was something we'd left in the past!

The one thing I do care about is the knowledge that any embroidered badge or built-in badge looks far smarter than an iron-on, or something that's been velcro'd or sticky-taped onto a shirt. And whenever I choose to buy a new shirt, the old one becomes the spare. So currently, my "main" shirt has my local Step 5/6 league badge on, and my "spare" has my previous county badge on it, hasn't caused any huge fuss in the 2 seasons I've been down here!

The Referee Store
The amount of debate this has created is quite incredible. Even more so considering the predominantly negative reaction towards the badge itself.
FAMOA should have been retained this season with a jersey issued to all officiating at Level 4 up to Step 2.
Definitely think they've underestimated the cost and demand for more then one shirt, especially for officials who made the effort to reach Level 4

I thought caring about badges was something we'd left in the past!

The one thing I do care about is the knowledge that any embroidered badge or built-in badge looks far smarter than an iron-on, or something that's been velcro'd or sticky-taped onto a shirt. And whenever I choose to buy a new shirt, the old one becomes the spare. So currently, my "main" shirt has my local Step 5/6 league badge on, and my "spare" has my previous county badge on it, hasn't caused any huge fuss in the 2 seasons I've been down here!
I would kill to find a place that does reliable embroidered badges, especially county

Reply received today.

FAMOA badge no longer allowed for any referee in the middle on any game from step 6 upwards.
God that’s a bit of a curveball. You’d at least thing they’d have bedding in period rather than springing that on people 6 weeks before the season starts. Let’s hope they get those new kits sent out when they stated. Bar your email, I’ve not seen anything specifically saying ‘you cannot wear this in the middle’ so I suspect there will be a fair few referees getting caught out

God that’s a bit of a curveball. You’d at least thing they’d have bedding in period rather than springing that on people 6 weeks before the season starts. Let’s hope they get those new kits sent out when they stated. Bar your email, I’ve not seen anything specifically saying ‘you cannot wear this in the middle’ so I suspect there will be a fair few referees getting caught out
Yeah that is a bit annoying. Upgraded my kit/tracksuit towards the end of the season with FAMOA as I ref in different counties to my registration due to sitting on the border of 3 counties. Not a cheap do to change them all for this season.

Yeah that is a bit annoying. Upgraded my kit/tracksuit towards the end of the season with FAMOA as I ref in different counties to my registration due to sitting on the border of 3 counties. Not a cheap do to change them all for this season.
Tracksuits are fine, they fall under the 'training/leisure wear' umbrella.

Not really sure how I feel about this, aside from the fact the new badge looks like it was designed by a 4 year old at pre-school. And yes, I know the irony is they have probably paid a design company thousands to provide it 😂

L4s and above don't just do one game a week. When I was at L4 it wasn't uncommon to get a supply or contrib game on the Saturday, senior women's game on the Sunday, and then another supply or contrib game on the Monday or Tuesday. Likewise I would frequently have a supply middle on a Tuesday and contrib line the next day, or vice versa. So referees are going to need to have two or even three kits with this new badge.

There is also a lot of movement between L4 and L5. If the FA think that referees reclassified from L5 to L4 won't continue to carry on wearing the higher level badge they are deluded, or the shirts will end up on eBay and L5 and lower referees will buy them, the same as you see grass roots referees now wearing EA Sports and even Football League badges. In some regions step 6 leagues are refereed by L5s, so what badge do they wear? And in recent years a lot of step 5 games have been refereed by L5s due to shortage of L4s, so what do they wear? If they have a different badge to normal referees at that level will players pick up on this and realise they have a "rookie" referee.

It all feels a bit vain.

Just another thought on this whole saga. As the FA have changed the badge then they have to supply it. They could have sent out just the badge to everyone that is applicable for it... But also I think they have turned round to Nike and said - sales have dropped off - lets get a few more out of the door - say you give us x% per shirt etc...

There is also a lot of movement between L4 and L5. If the FA think that referees reclassified from L5 to L4 won't continue to carry on wearing the higher level badge they are deluded, or the shirts will end up on eBay and L5 and lower referees will buy them, the same as you see grass roots referees now wearing EA Sports and even Football League badges.
Think this is spot on and I would like a bit more comms on this because nothing makes me cringe harder than a county or sunday league game and the ref trots out in an EFL or EA sports top. Sorry if that's anyone here but please just stick with FAMOA or County badges for now...

All of these concerns and confusions should be addressed by the FA in a simple pdf FAQ send to all referees. Otherwise the jungle will continue.

Admittedly haven't read the thread... So apologies if answered.
Can I wear my 1 year old shirts in step 3/4/5 matches next year, without replacing the badge on it?

Admittedly haven't read the thread... So apologies if answered.
Can I wear my 1 year old shirts in step 3/4/5 matches next year, without replacing the badge on it?
No. Your need to use the new badge (from what I understand) - You can wear old tracksuits - a match shirt & training top will be supplied fo all L4 + referees

For those who are looking for the badges, the refstop are doing free shipping today for orders over £60. I bit the bullet and ordered a jacket and two badges to avoid the shipping costs. Still a joke it's £8 a badge but at least saved some shipping costs!

But this is the first indication of a possible delivery schedule..
I don't think it is. They are independent of each other. All this confirms is when paid for badges are to start being dispatched. FA kit is being badged for us and timescales are totally independent.
The timescales quoted for kit was end of July so we're close anyway

Back