A&H

Open Age Pitch Boundary and throws

The Referee Store
How can you actively manage the situation I have quoted. Player retrieves ball, trots over and within a split second throws it.... only two options, blow for the throw to be retaken (or award to opposition - credibility?!) or allow game to continue. I am glad the question has raised some debate but am still no closer to being 100% one way or the other! Would hate to do this but I may mention to CAR and captains at coin toss "lines can you just help the players out and point them to the correct spot for throws and make sure it's within the boundary, cheers". If captains don't pass that on, I'm covered.
Like any throw taken from the wrong place - often you don't get the chance to. It will often happen too quickly. But that might not be the case. I was only pointing out that if you get the chance - ie you see them preparing to take the TI from the wrong place then stopping them before the throw is win-win. It helps you by not having to make a controversial decision - but if you don't get the chance to jump on it quick then so be it. Foul throw.

I have always believed the same as Brian, and actually made this point on here a while ago, so I emailed IFAB for a definitive answer. The question I asked involved a player trying to throw the ball to a team mate standing almost on the line without dropping it, something I see quite a lot, so if the player can move off the line it would help him to make a legal throw without dropping the ball.

I've just got the reply, as follows:

Dear Mark
Thank you very much for your e mail – this is a question we regularly get asked.
The Law requires the throw in to be taken at the point where the ball left the field of play and referees should apply this with a degree of sympathy (i.e. within a 1-2m) but the player should not be allowed to throw the ball from a long distance away from the line as this is against the spirit of the Law and may result in the player gaining an unfair advantage (e.g. the opponents not expecting the ball to be thrown from such a long distance)
I hope this helps

Best wishes
David Elleray
Technical Director
The International Football Association Board - IFAB

As has been said, the safest thing is to be proactive if possible and stop the player taking it from a long way from the line. If you cannot do this, I was wrong. It's a foul throw!

I wonder how many emails IFAB get from us lot on here trying to settle our disagreements and interpretations :rolleyes:

Nice to get a reasonably definitive answer.

I wonder how many emails IFAB get from us lot on here trying to settle our disagreements and interpretations :rolleyes:

Nice to get a reasonably definitive answer.
If they gave a definitive answer up front then there wouldn't be any confusion! I believe they do it like this to give some wiggle room on application. For example, if they say the throw must be within 2 yards of the touchline then if a player is 2.1 metres from the line then this could be a foul throw and players will be expecting us to pace it out - good luck with that! I have enough to do on the pitch, never mind off it as well! By leaving it up to interpretation it's down to the Referee on the day to make a judgement as to whether it's ok or not.

Had three throw ins taken from a small bank 3-4m behind the touch line last night. I had already given a foul throw so I wasn't ducking any decisions. The throws were all taken short and in defensive areas so there was no advantage gained. But I would definitely penalise a throw taken from a bank in a higher level game, or if it created an advantage.

In retrospect, I was fairly picky in this game and should have scotched it at the first one.

Had three throw ins taken from a small bank 3-4m behind the touch line last night. I had already given a foul throw so I wasn't ducking any decisions. The throws were all taken short and in defensive areas so there was no advantage gained. But I would definitely penalise a throw taken from a bank in a higher level game, or if it created an advantage.

In retrospect, I was fairly picky in this game and should have scotched it at the first one.

Wiggle away! I'd probably have done the same. However, the problems would come when the other team took a TI from the same place and it did create an advantage. A small bank creates a different angle because of the extra height, which could cause problems for the defence.
You've then got to explain the difference or let it go again. Either could cause issues with match control.

As we all know, players have the memory of a goldfish. They won't remember that you made allowances for a particular reason.

The laws of the game says the throw in must be taken from the point at which the ball pet the field of play, so I would say this is a retake. Obviously a couple of yards isn't gonna make a difference but he has gained an unlawful advantage by throwing from that far out, because the opposition were not expecting it. There's no difference if a player moves ten yards up or down the line as if he moves ten yards back from the pitch, if it enables him to take the throw quicker and gain an advantage then it must be penalized with a retake.

If incorrectly taken, then surely its throw to other side, NOT a re- take?

If incorrectly taken, then surely its throw to other side, NOT a re- take?
Forsooth you are right. However, for a first offence, if you are blowing because the thrower is 5m behind the line or on a bank, and the thrower is not obviously trying to gain an advantage, I think it is very harsh to give to the other side. Best thing, as learnt here, is to be proactive the first time - and instruct before the throw is taken.

(Which begs the question, after reading this thread yesterday, FFS why wasn't I proactive the first time last night...? I know... it's because I had already called the same team's captain to retake three goal kicks because he kept trying to take them quickly with ball outside the area/moving/receiver inside...)

Well I guess that settles it :cool:

Not really........use of the word "may" in "may result in an advantage...." leaves plenty of room to interpretation.

If they don#t gain an advantage, then play on.....if clearly the opponents weren't expecting it and an advantage occurs, penalise it.

:cool:

Back