A&H

Player Impeded by the Referee

The Don

Yet another of those interesting match incidents I witnessed for your deliberations.

A player had his progress slightly impeded when he bumped into the Referee who was in the same space as an incoming pass which caused the player to mis-control it. He remonstrated with the referee, who allowed play to continue.

While still arguing with the Referee, the player was suddenly aware that the ball was played back to him by a teammate. A defender intercepted it so the player sought to redress his ‘perceived grievance’ by launching an uncontrolled (my description) challenge at his opponent.

As you can imagine this caused a fracas which, once it had died down the, Referee issued a (deserved in my opinion) Red Card.

If the ball strikes a Referee, play is stopped and an uncontested dropped ball is awarded. Is there any allowance in The Laws which allows the Referee’s to take similar actions if they accidentally impede a player?

The Referee Store
Yet another of those interesting match incidents I witnessed for your deliberations.

A player had his progress slightly impeded when he bumped into the Referee who was in the same space as an incoming pass which caused the player to mis-control it. He remonstrated with the referee, who allowed play to continue.

While still arguing with the Referee, the player was suddenly aware that the ball was played back to him by a teammate. A defender intercepted it so the player sought to redress his ‘perceived grievance’ by launching an uncontrolled (my description) challenge at his opponent.

As you can imagine this caused a fracas which, once it had died down the, Referee issued a (deserved in my opinion) Red Card.

If the ball strikes a Referee, play is stopped and an uncontested dropped ball is awarded. Is there any allowance in The Laws which allows the Referee’s to take similar actions if they accidentally impede a player?
No. The referee is part of the field of play. Only if the ball hits the ref and it stays on field of play, and then either changes posession or starts a promising attack is play stopped and restarted with a dropped ball.
In all other cases play continues

Thanks for that. I thought the player was rather foolish to have a concerted moan at the Referee while the play was still going on. He suffered the consequences of his hot-headed action.
In a way I felt a bit sorry for the player because he lost possession when he might have controlled the ball but for the bump with the Referee. I just wondered if there was any 'Referee discretion' to award a dropped ball. However that doesn't excuse his follow-up behaviour on the innocent defender.

I’ve done it myself a few times, stepped across a player not knowing they are running down that path. Unfortunately we can’t see 360 degrees around us and sometimes that happens

Unfortunately the player got frustrated with the situation and the red mist descended. I wonder if IFAB might look at this and suggest a dropped ball in those circumstances. Although it's not an excuse but this incident led to a Red Card - not the fault of the Referee, I might add.

Very difficult one. Being observed, it's bad anyway cos you're gonna pick up a development point. Either way, I've seen it happen in the EPL and the Refs have stopped the game. Presumably, 'Spirit of the Game'. I think this is the right outcome if it impacts on the game and the Ref's positioning was to blame, even if its stretching the rules

In some games the play develops so quickly that even the best placed Referees sometimes get entangled with the play which is why I think the outcome should be a dropped ball. The game I was watching was an FA Vase match where the score was 1 - 0 so it was pretty tight and I'm sure Referee's realise that players' competitive tendencies run high (no excuse for fouls, of course). If a dropped ball could have been awarded, the Red Card incident wouldn't have happened. The Referee, incidentally, was one I would have been quite happy to play under.

In some games the play develops so quickly that even the best placed Referees sometimes get entangled with the play which is why I think the outcome should be a dropped ball. The game I was watching was an FA Vase match where the score was 1 - 0 so it was pretty tight and I'm sure Referee's realise that players' competitive tendencies run high (no excuse for fouls, of course). If a dropped ball could have been awarded, the Red Card incident wouldn't have happened. The Referee, incidentally, was one I would have been quite happy to play under.
I just don't fancy being the target of players trying to stop the game and get a dropped ball

I just don't fancy being the target of players trying to stop the game and get a dropped ball
I wasn't expecting a cynical approach. This doesn't happen in every single game. I wonder if you were the player involved whether your view might have been different.
If the Referee is deliberately targeted then the player would be sent off.

I don't really see why that would happen? Boot the ball at the ref and either he dodges in which case the ball could go anywhere or you hit and....get the game paused and the ball handed back to you. Might make players less inclined to try and avoid you, but I think suggesting ref would be deliberately targeted is unlikely.

Very difficult one. Being observed, it's bad anyway cos you're gonna pick up a development point. Either way, I've seen it happen in the EPL and the Refs have stopped the game. Presumably, 'Spirit of the Game'. I think this is the right outcome if it impacts on the game and the Ref's positioning was to blame, even if its stretching the rules
Don't entirely agree with the spirit etc. Players know where their teammates and opponents are during the game. They should also know where the referee is and avoid the path.

I know you may say the same about the ball but I think one is a lot more avoidable by players (and less avoidable by referee) than the other.

Don't entirely agree with the spirit etc. Players know where their teammates and opponents are during the game. They should also know where the referee is and avoid the path.

I know you may say the same about the ball but I think one is a lot more avoidable by players (and less avoidable by referee) than the other.
With respect, that’s a very unfair and biased assumption unless you apply it to yourself e.g. you should know where the ball is and “avoid the path”.

As one of your colleagues has already pointed out, he doesn’t have 360-degree vision, so neither do players.

Players, the ball and Referee’s are on the move during the game so accidental collisions can occur. All I am suggesting is that, to avoid player frustration as happened in the game I attended, could not a dropped ball be awarded in such (accidental) situations between the official and a player.

With respect, that’s a very unfair and biased assumption unless you apply it to yourself e.g. you should know where the ball is and “avoid the path”.

As one of your colleagues has already pointed out, he doesn’t have 360-degree vision, so neither do players.

Players, the ball and Referee’s are on the move during the game so accidental collisions can occur. All I am suggesting is that, to avoid player frustration as happened in the game I attended, could not a dropped ball be awarded in such (accidental) situations between the official and a player.
Are we still talking EPL level or at dog and ducks?

If the former then I stand by my assumption. Just need to look at some games and see the number of no look passes or one touch passes where there is absolutely no time to think or look for option.

Are we still talking EPL level or at dog and ducks?

If the former then I stand by my assumption. Just need to look at some games and see the number of no look passes or one touch passes where there is absolutely no time to think or look for option.
Football is played by the same Laws whatever the level and I am not so disrespectful to use your term.
As an aside, how many times have Referee's awarded a Freekick or Penalty Kick when a ball is driven at close range and hits an opponent on the arm without him being able to get out of the way?
I am merely talking about an accidental collision which, in this case, altered the course of the game. It could happen at any level.

I was and I thought you were very good. Cool, calm and correct throughout the game. I was a neutral spectator, by the way..
Did I describe the incident as you saw it? and do you think that you should be allowed to give a dropped ball in those circumstances?
The player, of course, was dealt with correctly.

Last edited:
You've described it pretty much exactly as I saw it. The bal has been switched to the fsr side and I've sprinted to get there. The ball is then turned over and play is going the other way and I've turned to sprint with it. As I get into what I think is a decebt position I did feel a player make slight contact with me and I was definitely in his way. He decided to turn round to have a go at me and I've told him to get on with the game. He's then flown into a tackle, both feet off the ground, first leg extended and 2nd leg scissored, studs showing etc. Not much contact on an opponent but all the boxes ticked for SFP red. No real complaints from players or club officials about the red but they know ive got in the way and they're understandably unhappy about it.

I would've loved the option of a drop ball but I don't have it, I didn't know who'd run into me until he turned around and started shouting. It just one of those instances in a game that can happen to anyone. Hard pitch, tight game etc. It was my first Vase middle and I thought i had an average game. Some games just feel tougher than others but there was no incident really other than the red and time wasting to deal with at the end.

Incidentally, I had 2 very good ARs. The one closest to the play thought 100% red, why is there even any debate? The AR on the far side thought I could've gone yellow. 2 level 5s who are clearly very good at what they do its just different angles. Anyway, back to it today, Southern League line

The other ridiculous incident was the Hallen 7 who kept kicking the ball back to where he thought the freekick should have been taken when the Stonehouse player put it in the correct position.. Quite rightly a Yellow Card. As a matter of interest, although it doesn't matter, the AR, as you put it, on the Stand side was a lady. A very good team, I thought.
I am going to Melksham today for a Southern League game; will you be the AR there today?

The other ridiculous incident was the Hallen 7 who kept kicking the ball back to where he thought the freekick should have been taken when the Stonehouse player put it in the correct position.. Quite rightly a Yellow Card. As a matter of interest, although it doesn't matter, the AR, as you put it, on the Stand side was a lady. A very good team, I thought.
I am going to Melksham today for a Southern League game; will you the the AR there today?

No I'm not at Melksham. Yeah she's very good. 2 good people to have in the dressing rooms too. Yeah the yellow for #7 was an easy one, he knew it was coming as id already warned him. Y first visit to Stonehouse. Lovely ground and they treat you very well.

Incidentally, I had 2 very good ARs. The one closest to the play thought 100% red, why is there even any debate? The AR on the far side thought I could've gone yellow. 2 level 5s who are clearly very good at what they do its just different angles. Anyway, back to it today, Southern League line
Just to finish off, it just goes to show how the same incident can be viewed differently. The AR on the far side saw it from the back and the one on the Stand side saw it, as I did, from the front. You saw it close up. I didn't think you had any doubt and throughout the fracas that followed, you managed to keep an eye on the offender. The Stonehouse shirt numbers were very hard to see (white on a black and white striped shirt) and I couldn't make out his number.

Last edited:
Back