A&H

Player Impeded by the Referee

Can I refer you the match Referee's measured and reasonable response to my suggestion.
How many times does the ball hit the match Referee during a game. I've not seen many but it is still legislated for.
I doubt that players would be encouraged to deliberately collide with match Officials to get a dropped ball decision. I am talking about accidental collisions.
Again can I respectfully refer you to the actual match Referee's response.
My 1st thought when reading the OP was "what if someone deliberately runs into the ref to get a dropped ball awarded?" This has since been discussed and you mention not deliberate but accidental. If someone runs into the side or back of me how am I meant to determine if that was deliberate or an accident?

The Referee Store
With respect, that is an appalling attitude from a match official. If you would care to read the actual match referee's comments on the situation, you will find that he wishes he had the dropped ball option in his 'toolbox'.
If you would also care to read the match situation again you will find that, rightly or wrongly, this led to an unnecessary Red Card. Had the referee had the dropped ball option, the incident might not have occurred.
I'm only a neutral spectator and the player is out there trying to do his best. I don't mind people having a different view to mine but, please try to look at both sides before making an inappropriate comment.
I would take issue with the view that it led to an unnecessary red card. Yes it undoubtedly led to the player becoming angry but that in no way mitigates the Serious Foul Play challenge.

The problem with having the drop ball option is that as soon as its in law players will start running into the referee to stop he other team attacking. Also, we already drop the ball when it hits us and following certain stoppages. We would be dropping the ball half a dozen times a match and that would create annoyance too.

There's no perfect solution unfortunately and I think the laws of the game have been tinkered with far too much over recent years and a period of reduction of ammendments would be beneficial to all.

I would take issue with the view that it led to an unnecessary red card. Yes it undoubtedly led to the player becoming angry but that in no way mitigates the Serious Foul Play challenge.

The problem with having the drop ball option is that as soon as its in law players will start running into the referee to stop he other team attacking. Also, we already drop the ball when it hits us and following certain stoppages. We would be dropping the ball half a dozen times a match and that would create annoyance too.

There's no perfect solution unfortunately and I think the laws of the game have been tinkered with far too much over recent years and a period of reduction of ammendments would be beneficial to all.
I think the uncontested drop ball is a pain in the ass now as it almost always leaves the R seriously put of position so ideally we want these to be as few as possible.

I think the uncontested drop ball is a pain in the ass now as it almost always leaves the R seriously put of position so ideally we want these to be as few as possible.

Cant just be me who especially when its going to gk, makes it more a, throw with a bounce, rather than traditional drop

Cant just be me who especially when its going to gk, makes it more a, throw with a bounce, rather than traditional drop
No I tell the keeper he has to wait for me to get to position else I will find another reason to caution him. Said with a smile of course, usually gets a laugh and have not yet had a keeper fail to oblige me 😁

With respect, that is an appalling attitude from a match official. If you would care to read the actual match referee's comments on the situation, you will find that he wishes he had the dropped ball option in his 'toolbox'.
If you would also care to read the match situation again you will find that, rightly or wrongly, this led to an unnecessary Red Card. Had the referee had the dropped ball option, the incident might not have occurred.
I'm only a neutral spectator and the player is out there trying to do his best. I don't mind people having a different view to mine but, please try to look at both sides before making an inappropriate comment.
Remember this is a refereeing forum, you aren't going to get any support for saying that any action by a referee, whether accidental or intentional, directly leads to an unnecessary red card. The player lunging in led to the red card, not the referee getting in the way.

The problem is, as I already mentioned, the majority of times a referee gets in the way of play they don't know about it as it happened behind their back. They obviously know if there is a physical collision, but more often it is the player saying you were in their direct path to get to the ball and they had to run around you. How would any law legislate for that?

Yup. 88th min, play stopped, deal with it then drop ball to the losing team keeper and have to sprint 70 metres for the punt up field looking for a late equaliser!

No I tell the keeper he has to wait for me to get to position else I will find another reason to caution him. Said with a smile of course, usually gets a laugh and have not yet had a keeper fail to oblige me 😁
My regular line in these cases was along the lines of "It will take me 3 seconds to reach the halfway line, so hang on till then" - with a smile, of ciurse.

And then book him for not releasing the ball within 6 seconds...
:rofl:

but just an aside . . .a GK could not be booked for delay for a 6 sec count, as the ball is in play . . .well, I suppose in theory a really stupid GK could get booked for PO if he keeps getting 6 second calls, but not even GKs learn that slowly….

but just an aside . . .a GK could not be booked for delay for a 6 sec count, as the ball is in play . . .well, I suppose in theory a really stupid GK could get booked for PO if he keeps getting 6 second calls, but not even GKs learn that slowly….
I think bloove knows this... It was all part of what I thought was a very well constructed joke replying to my post. Certainly hope so, gave him post of the day and everything 🤣

I think bloove knows this... It was all part of what I thought was a very well constructed joke replying to my post. Certainly hope so, gave him post of the day and everything 🤣
I know he knows it, but was noting for someone less experienced who might come away with the wrong idea! We’ve all seen stranger things than that from new refs.

I think bloovee knows this... It was all part of what I thought was a very well constructed joke replying to my post. Certainly hope so, gave him post of the day and everything 🤣

Ah, the ball is in play when it hits the ground, but I did assume the GK immediately picked it up, otherwise the 6 seconds wouldn't start.

Again, I've assumed the wording "The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area" doesn't mean the GK is immune from challenge from an opponent for the rest of the game. The ball is in play when it touches the ground, and "all other players (of both teams) must remain at least 4 m (4.5 yds) from the ball until it is in play" implies that even though it's dropped "for" the GK, the GK can't wait for ever to play a ball that's already in play. I'm not checking the forum, but can't recall whether this has been discussed - it's dropped for the GK but can a team-mate play the ball next?

(My model was the old railway tale of the enthusiast who asks if he can come into a signal box then reports the signalman for having an unauthorised person in the signal box.)

I still think my idea was better than what IFAB came up with.

(Dec 26, 2017) In the EPL refs still seem reluctant to stop play for an injury other than head injury even when there's a lull in play (no immediate attack).

So one team kicks it out of play and we have the sporting ritual of a throw back to opponent's GK.

Lately I've seen EPL refs do what I would like to do (if not assessed): stop play, and (regardless of where the ball was) just drop it for the GK in his PA (one EPL ref basically threw it to the GK from outside the area).

I'd just change the law, so if the ref stops play, then so long as one team is clearly in possession, the ball is just given to that team's GK, and the restart is the GK having 6 seconds (enforced...) to get rid of the ball (kick out from the PA, or bring it out of the PA).

The ref wouldn't have to be anywhere near the GK. There were some valid criticisms (what if play was stopped at the other end of the pitch?) but when a player did the sporting thing and put it out for a TI then the proper courtesy was to get it back to their GK, so it might have gone back there anyway. The uncontested dropped ball then came in (introduced, if I recall, the year after IFAB said referees should not "manage" a contested dropped ball).

I've banged on often enough about EPL referees getting in the way, especially ahead of attackers and acting as an extra defender, so haven't commented on the main issue of the thread.

Last edited:
You've described it pretty much exactly as I saw it. The bal has been switched to the fsr side and I've sprinted to get there. The ball is then turned over and play is going the other way and I've turned to sprint with it. As I get into what I think is a decebt position I did feel a player make slight contact with me and I was definitely in his way. He decided to turn round to have a go at me and I've told him to get on with the game. He's then flown into a tackle, both feet off the ground, first leg extended and 2nd leg scissored, studs showing etc. Not much contact on an opponent but all the boxes ticked for SFP red. No real complaints from players or club officials about the red but they know ive got in the way and they're understandably unhappy about it.

I would've loved the option of a drop ball but I don't have it, I didn't know who'd run into me until he turned around and started shouting. It just one of those instances in a game that can happen to anyone. Hard pitch, tight game etc. It was my first Vase middle and I thought i had an average game. Some games just feel tougher than others but there was no incident really other than the red and time wasting to deal with at the end.

Incidentally, I had 2 very good ARs. The one closest to the play thought 100% red, why is there even any debate? The AR on the far side thought I could've gone yellow. 2 level 5s who are clearly very good at what they do its just different angles. Anyway, back to it today, Southern League line
Anyway, I thought this was post of the thread.

As in, "I know, I was that referee."

(For youngsters, this is the reference for that...)

Back