A&H

Player Impeded by the Referee

The Referee Store
At the risk of opening up old wounds, I’d like to bring to your attention that, in my role of neutral spectator, I witnessed another accidental player/Referee collision at today’s FA Vase match in Hampshire.

The player, in an attempt to retrieve a pass, accidentally bumped into the Referee. On this occasion the Referee stopped play and awarded an uncontested drop-ball to the player. There were a few polite enquiries from the opposition but play carried on without consequence.

The Referee kindly gave me a few minutes of his time at the end of the game to courteously explain why he made that decision. It might surprise some but he felt that as he had affected play it was only fair (note the word) that he didn’t disadvantage the player.

At the risk of opening up old wounds, I’d like to bring to your attention that, in my role of neutral spectator, I witnessed another accidental player/Referee collision at today’s FA Vase match in Hampshire.

The player, in an attempt to retrieve a pass, accidentally bumped into the Referee. On this occasion the Referee stopped play and awarded an uncontested drop-ball to the player. There were a few polite enquiries from the opposition but play carried on without consequence.

The Referee kindly gave me a few minutes of his time at the end of the game to courteously explain why he made that decision. It might surprise some but he felt that as he had affected play it was only fair (note the word) that he didn’t disadvantage the player.
The question would be whether he would have done the same if he was being observed. I would hazard a guess not, as whilst it might feel like the right thing to do there is nothing in law that supports it.

It's a perfectly valid question as to whether a change to this law might be better / fairer. However, until or unless it is changed, referees would be well advised to simply stick to the law and play on ... as soon as you open the can of worms which is 'things would be better if' you simply end up with (even) greater confusion and inconsistency. And as the players tell us, 'All we want is consistency ref'!! :)

Reactions: one
We’ll get a law change on this when it matters in a big professional game . . .

I think IFAB opened Pandora’s box with the ball, and it’s now hard to see why a significant impact eith a player doesn’t warrant the same treatment. But there is current no basis in Law to stop. Of cours, if you blow the whistle and realize you shouldn’t have, the restart is a DB . . .

Hi All…
Said referee here.

Slightly different to as described from my recollection, the player had possession/ received possession and controlled the ball towards me in a way I wasn’t expecting. I attempted to get out the way but ended up blocking the player completely, stopping him in his tracks. This allowed the striker who was not challenging at the time to run from the opposite direction and pick up the loose ball on the halfway line with only 1 or 2 defenders in front of him.

At no point, observer or not, am I allowing that attack to happen. I will take it on the chin and apologise for my poor positioning (too close to play/caught flat footed slightly).

If the player ran into me, and I wasn’t at fault we would be having a different discussion, but I literally stepped into his path and fully blocked and impeded his possession.

Happy to hold my hands up and say I got my positioning wrong, and maybe wrong in law with what I did, but I am happy I did the correct thing in the spirit of the game which helped keep my match control.

Hi All…
Said referee here.

Slightly different to as described from my recollection, the player had possession/ received possession and controlled the ball towards me in a way I wasn’t expecting. I attempted to get out the way but ended up blocking the player completely, stopping him in his tracks. This allowed the striker who was not challenging at the time to run from the opposite direction and pick up the loose ball on the halfway line with only 1 or 2 defenders in front of him.

At no point, observer or not, am I allowing that attack to happen. I will take it on the chin and apologise for my poor positioning (too close to play/caught flat footed slightly).

If the player ran into me, and I wasn’t at fault we would be having a different discussion, but I literally stepped into his path and fully blocked and impeded his possession.

Happy to hold my hands up and say I got my positioning wrong, and maybe wrong in law with what I did, but I am happy I did the correct thing in the spirit of the game which helped keep my match control.
Unfortunately, under the current laws, there is no option for you to do that, however much it seems like the right thing to do. Should the law be changed? Arguably yes, but before then you would be taking a big chance if there is an observer, some might look at it pragmatically, but others will probably take you to the cleaners. You also run the risk of a club reporting you for it, which then potentially could lead to an FA charge.

Hi All…
Said referee here.

Talk about lightning twice. 2 refs. Similar scenario. Both members on here. See you soon @The Don

The only conceivable way out of this I can see is if you touched the ball. Fair play for your explanation and honesty though.

I would say the opposition could be rightfully aggrieved having been denied a promising attack with no basis in law. It's a tough one.

I would say the opposition could be rightfully aggrieved having been denied a promising attack with no basis in law. It's a tough one.

But if in the contact the ball hit the ref and then passed into possession of the opposition. Would there then be justification?

I don't know if that did happen.

At which time the rate of player colliding with referees will clime by 600% when a player is about to loose the ball.

So cynical. So easy to police.

If the referee believes it were their fault, ie stepped into the players path due to poor positioning then yes drop ball, if the referee believes the player threw himself into them IDFK against them and, maybe too far but, possibly a yellow card for attempting to deceive a match official?! We make judgement calls on what we see for 90 minutes, why would this be any different.

It’s not like this happens every game, or a lot at all. If a player is in possession and runs into us we are positioned wrongly. (Like I was!!)

Unfortunately, under the current laws, there is no option for you to do that, however much it seems like the right thing to do. Should the law be changed? Arguably yes, but before then you would be taking a big chance if there is an observer, some might look at it pragmatically, but others will probably take you to the cleaners. You also run the risk of a club reporting you for it, which then potentially could lead to an FA charge.
Can any club report refs for making mistakes? That might revive the 6 second joke rule. Anyway the IFAB response on dealing with jumping on a team-mate's shoulders looks like a handy get out. Spirit of the game and all that.

So cynical. So easy to police.

If the referee believes it were their fault, ie stepped into the players path due to poor positioning then yes drop ball, if the referee believes the player threw himself into them IDFK against them and, maybe too far but, possibly a yellow card for attempting to deceive a match official?! We make judgement calls on what we see for 90 minutes, why would this be any different.

It’s not like this happens every game, or a lot at all. If a player is in possession and runs into us we are positioned wrongly. (Like I was!!)
Tell that to the EPL refs who stick to the diagonal and get ahead of play and are then in the way of attacks from the left. Occasionally they're in the way of defenders trying to intercept the ball or the opponent, but referees who help defenders park the bus are a pain. Can we report them for bad positioning?

Can any club report refs for making mistakes? That might revive the 6 second joke rule. Anyway the IFAB response on dealing with jumping on a team-mate's shoulders looks like a handy get out. Spirit of the game and all that.
Yes, of course they can. There are lots of cases of clubs reporting referees for being incorrect in law and it resulting in them getting charged. Mainly around the wrong outcomes from penalty encroachment or messing up cards, but they can report anything.

Last edited:
I’ve done it myself a few times, stepped across a player not knowing they are running down that path. Unfortunately we can’t see 360 degrees around us and sometimes that happens
Did it three times in one match once to same player, each time he was behind me and no where near the ball. Don't have 360 vision so players need to be aware as much as we are.

Back