A&H

Players shouting "leave it"

I wonder why we are given the option to caution for hand ball offenses and we aren’t given that latitude on this?

I’m sure if you asked a player what stirred his juices more a blatant handball or something that most consider to be banter I can pretty much guess the answer.
If you think a blatant handball is unsporting then you still have the option to caution. But there are some which are not unsporting like when a player on hlaf way stops a ball from going to the next suburb.
Deliberately verbally deceiving an opponent though is always unsporting. You can call it banter if you like but still unsporting.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Isn’t it now a DFK in the laws of the game?
No. The first rewrite read as though it was but ifab clarified in the faqs that verbal offences remain indirect. And in the following (current edition) it specifically states verbal offences are idfk.

As a junior footballer, shouts of "leave it" or "mine" were always given as a free kick to the other team. I'm not sure any of the refs knee why back then but it was accepted as the law back then. I'd say this issue comes up around every third game at dog and duck level and seems to rarely surface the higher up you go.

I usually explain to the players that it's not an offence and when they query it (which they always do) I ask them when was the last time you saw a free kick in professional football given for it? That always brings them to accept it and you never hear anymore. Whether I'm right or not is another matter and I bow to the opinion of an assessor or a more experienced ref but in terms of game management that tactic works for me. I certainly don't believe it is an offence in law but like always I may well be wrong!

You could ask the same question about foul throws ;)
Just recently, it seems you see them given almost every week in televised games (not always correctly, I might add). There was a Liverpool player penalised for one just the other day, as I recall. Serge Aurier was recently punished for three improperly-taken throws in one game - and then for another, the following week which was perfectly fine as far as I could tell.

Might be going off topic but another common myth at lower levels with the same sort of misunderstanding is "you can't play the ball when you are on the ground". Ammmm... yes you can so long as its safe... which is the same as any other play of the ball really.

Might be going off topic but another common myth at lower levels with the same sort of misunderstanding is "you can't play the ball when you are on the ground". Ammmm... yes you can so long as its safe... which is the same as any other play of the ball really.

That's the one we get over here in the US. It also doesn't help that a lot of refs call it when it shouldn't be called.

The "leave it"/"put a name on it" one is completely non-existent over here though.

i Don’t think I’ve ever come across a player who has tried to verbally distract an opponent in one of my games.

I’ve had the odd player appeal for someone shouting mine/leave it, I just told them to behave themselves and get on with the game.

That's the one we get over here in the US. It also doesn't help that a lot of refs call it when it shouldn't be called.

The "leave it"/"put a name on it" one is completely non-existent over here though.

Interestingly I refereed an U15s side over here from the US a few years ago. Player shouted 'Boo' or some such very loudly and seemed genuinely surprised that it wasn't allowed!

Interestingly I refereed an U15s side over here from the US a few years ago. Player shouted 'Boo' or some such very loudly and seemed genuinely surprised that it wasn't allowed!

Did you ask them not to do that or did you caution them?

It comes from basketball where it's apart of the game to verbally put off an opponent during a shot.

Picture this, 2008, the team me and my mates set up for a bit of a laugh are actually pretty good and challenging for the title. We are second in the league and face top in a winner takes the title match. Its 2-2 and there are around 10 minutes to go. A corner comes in and after a bit of melee the ball breaks to a defender who shields the ball and the keeper comes to collect shouting LEAVE IT as he does.

The referee blows his whistle and points to the spot. Penalty. The penalty was scored and we lost the league.

Being naive amateur footballers we knew (or thought) we knew an offence had been committed but felt sure it wasn't a penalty. Again though we weren't certain.

Looking back now, knowing what i now know, there was no offence. There was no opposing player near by. It was simply the goalkeeper giving the defender an instruction.

True story that, doesn't bother me though at all, as you can tell with my bitter rant 10 years on. :);):cry::cry:

Did you ask them not to do that or did you caution them?

It comes from basketball where it's apart of the game to verbally put off an opponent during a shot.

It was a fair while ago now, but from memory it was a 'friendly' so I went with the warning.

Picture this, 2008, the team me and my mates set up for a bit of a laugh are actually pretty good and challenging for the title. We are second in the league and face top in a winner takes the title match. Its 2-2 and there are around 10 minutes to go. A corner comes in and after a bit of melee the ball breaks to a defender who shields the ball and the keeper comes to collect shouting LEAVE IT as he does.

The referee blows his whistle and points to the spot. Penalty. The penalty was scored and we lost the league.

Being naive amateur footballers we knew (or thought) we knew an offence had been committed but felt sure it wasn't a penalty. Again though we weren't certain.

Looking back now, knowing what i now know, there was no offence. There was no opposing player near by. It was simply the goalkeeper giving the defender an instruction.

True story that, doesn't bother me though at all, as you can tell with my bitter rant 10 years on. :);):cry::cry:
Have you not had counselling? You need to get it out of your system........it could ruin your career........

They say that the first ten years is the hardest part!

It was common place back in the day and nobody ever questioned the fact that "leave it" or "mine" led to a free kick. The coaches, including mine, used to have a go at the players for saying it, never the ref.

With most refs, if your team had been penalised, if you asked the ref if the free kick was indirect they would invariably say yes!

It's debatable wether refs have improved over the years or not but the younger refs these days are trained better and have a much better knowledge of the law imo

The biggest reason these sort of myths never die is that most referees learn the laws of the game by watching other referees (when playing or just as spectators). If they spent half as much time reading the laws of the game to learn them instead, theses myths will slowly disappear.

The biggest reason these sort of myths never die is that most referees learn the laws of the game by watching other referees (when playing or just as spectators). If they spent half as much time reading the laws of the game to learn them instead, theses myths will slowly disappear.

Yeah, same as some people think that any handball is a yellow card.

The problem is those referees that keep these things going will absolutely 100% never accept that they are wrong, or change the way they do things.

Yeah, same as some people think that any handball is a yellow card.

The problem is those referees that keep these things going will absolutely 100% never accept that they are wrong, or change the way they do things.

or that most times ball makes contact with hand/arm its deliberate.

or that most times ball makes contact with hand/arm its deliberate.

That too. I had a disagreement with someone about it once, he was convinced that any handball is deliberate and a yellow card.

Even sending screen shots of the relevant pages of the 17/18 laws of the game wouldn’t change his mind.

I wish stuff like that surprised me, but there is a referee loca to me who cautioned a player for wearing one glove...

Back