A&H

Players shouting "leave it"

That too. I had a disagreement with someone about it once, he was convinced that any handball is deliberate and a yellow card.

Even sending screen shots of the relevant pages of the 17/18 laws of the game wouldn’t change his mind.

I wish stuff like that surprised me, but there is a referee loca to me who cautioned a player for wearing one glove...

When my son played, we were told by the (qualified) ref that players were not allowed to wear gloves as it gave them an 'unfair advantage'!:eek:

Also a coach told me (yes I Know!) that a qualified referee had told him that ALL handballs outside the area by a GK were red cards.

Finally, another one told me (2 weeks after the game, when I ran into him!), that a referee mate had told him that penalties could be taken to the side of penalty spot if ground was not suitable to take it from correct spot.

The Referee Store
This is what makes our jobs so difficult. its Not solely the behaviour of players and coaches, it is our colleagues who perpetuate these myths.

There is no excuse for it, I can understand a newly qualified referee making mistakes in the beginning of their careers or people getting caught out with a random incident etc.

But these people are just ignorant and probably haven’t studied a copy of the laws of the game for years. I firmly believe that there should be a requirement to pass an online test before referees are allowed to register at the start of the season.

I disagree about the online test thing.

IMO, all referees should be assessed at least once per season, even if they're not going for promotion. It's the ones that aren't promoting, that are 'hiding' at their level, they're the ones I've found to be neglecting the Law and Formalities side of things.

I was with an assessor at the start of the season, and they were really critical of a new referee who wasn't getting the basics done, such as signalling for offside! But, he was at least getting the advice/getting pulled up on it. In theory, he'll fix his issues or stay at the bottom rung. OTOH: Granddad sticking to the 1994 edition of the laws won't be - And I saw one of these recently doing the same errors the new referee was. :(

Also, I feel the practical side of things is better for improving over the theoretical, since its application that is the main thing for me. :)

Reactions: one
I disagree about the online test thing.

IMO, all referees should be assessed at least once per season, even if they're not going for promotion. It's the ones that aren't promoting, that are 'hiding' at their level, they're the ones I've found to be neglecting the Law and Formalities side of things.

I was with an assessor at the start of the season, and they were really critical of a new referee who wasn't getting the basics done, such as signalling for offside! But, he was at least getting the advice/getting pulled up on it. In theory, he'll fix his issues or stay at the bottom rung. OTOH: Granddad sticking to the 1994 edition of the laws won't be - And I saw one of these recently doing the same errors the new referee was. :(

Also, I feel the practical side of things is better for improving over the theoretical, since its application that is the main thing for me. :)

The problem with giving each referee at least one observation per season, is the number of observers that would be required to cover this and to also cover people on the various promotion schemes.

An online test would be cheap, could be open book, and there would be no way to dodge it, aside from getting someone else to take the test for you.

An online test that you have to pass for recertification makes huge sense. It's not about catching out the "bad eggs", it would also be a great way of ensuring that referees are up to date with law changes that come through each year. It could be a two step process - up to an hour's CBT on law changes, or interpretation of law, followed (either immediately after or later) by the test. You fail the test, you don't recertify, but you should be allowed to take the test as many times as needed. And, just as importantly, there should be no added cost to certification for having to take the online course and test.

Also, the FA could then push that test out to FA registered coaches, as part of their continuous development. If could be made a pre-requisite for ongoing membership of the FA Coaches Club - which would mean that coaches may come to understand the laws of the game as well. Double whammy!

The problem with giving each referee at least one observation per season, is the number of observers that would be required to cover this and to also cover people on the various promotion schemes.

An online test would be cheap, could be open book, and there would be no way to dodge it, aside from getting someone else to take the test for you.

I'm sure they can fit some in at or around some point in the season.

The trouble with the online, open book tests for me is that they don't necessarily promote doing things right on the field anyway, *and* there are only so many questions that will come up in those tests. You can still get through the test and be a poor referee spreading the myths.

I think an online quiz sounds great. You can write about 10 of the questions from examples given in this thread!

When my son played, we were told by the (qualified) ref that players were not allowed to wear gloves as it gave them an 'unfair advantage'!:eek:

Also a coach told me (yes I Know!) that a qualified referee had told him that ALL handballs outside the area by a GK were red cards.

Finally, another one told me (2 weeks after the game, when I ran into him!), that a referee mate had told him that penalties could be taken to the side of penalty spot if ground was not suitable to take it from correct spot.

Gloves an unfair advantage! Dear me. Also, quite why a player would wear one glove is beyond me! It's a funny old game!

Didn't La Liga bring in the automatic yellow card for any handball law a few years ago? That's probably where the confusion comes from?

I did a game last night in a low standard game and I was asked by the captain if I was going to send in the yellow cards id given during the game. Now I'm not sure about online tests etc (well I am, I'm against them), but clearly refs haven't registered yellows v this team in the recent past for them to even ask the question! Sometimes us refs don't help each other out too.

Gloves an unfair advantage! Dear me. Also, quite why a player would wear one glove is beyond me! It's a funny old game!

Didn't La Liga bring in the automatic yellow card for any handball law a few years ago? That's probably where the confusion comes from?

I did a game last night in a low standard game and I was asked by the captain if I was going to send in the yellow cards id given during the game. Now I'm not sure about online tests etc (well I am, I'm against them), but clearly refs haven't registered yellows v this team in the recent past for them to even ask the question! Sometimes us refs don't help each other out too.

I think they don't get put through if the game is NRA and has a club official. I took a trip down to the NRA leagues in December and faced that very same question. Just speculating though.

I asked a question a few years ago to my County FA after they had responded to a complaint from a manager to one of my decisions. A bloke took a throw in that came in play and went out of play with the wind. I gave a new throw to the opposing team and the manager went ballistic saying it was a retake! They said it was a retake too ???

I asked a question a few years ago to my County FA after they had responded to a complaint from a manager to one of my decisions. A bloke took a throw in that came in play and went out of play with the wind. I gave a new throw to the opposing team and the manager went ballistic saying it was a retake! They said it was a retake too ???

It must depend on how the manager described the incident to the FA. I’ve just had a quick scan of law 15 and can’t see anything that suggests this should have been a retake.

Sorry im unaware of what NRA means

No Referee Assigned. Sorry, I should have clarified that originally.

Where I'm at, there's not enough referees to go around so the bottom leagues are commonly NRA and the two clubs come to an agreement on who referees the game. Then the home club is responsible for the paper-work - team sheets etc, which is normally the job of the referee. So, my guess is they don't process the cautions etc, so when they do get an official referee it can be a bit of a 'oh I'm paying a fine today' moment for some of the players.

As I said though, I don't fully know the specifics of what goes on in the background for NRA games, so I'm only speculating on why they may not get processed. It might be policy reasons since the official in charge isn't a referee on the list, or the person taking charge has no idea how to process them since they're not part of the system, and so on. :)

It must depend on how the manager described the incident to the FA. I’ve just had a quick scan of law 15 and can’t see anything that suggests this should have been a retake.
Manager argued that it never came in play, however , and I’ve tried to do it, how can you stand with two feet on the line and end up with the ball behind you even with a bit of wind??? it must of entered play even for a short while and is therefore a valid throw even though it then became an opponents ball when it went out of play.

Same manager was punched by his own goalkeeper in a different game for subbing him! This keeper was once in the professional books at Wimbledon! Total know it all barnpot!

Manager argued that it never came in play, however , and I’ve tried to do it, how can you stand with two feet on the line and end up with the ball behind you even with a bit of wind??? it must of entered play even for a short while and is therefore a valid throw even though it then became an opponents ball when it went out of play.

Same manager was punched by his own goalkeeper in a different game for subbing him! This keeper was once in the professional books at Wimbledon! Total know it all barnpot!

I’m surprised the CFA entertained an question/complaint from a manager about a throw in.

I’m surprised the CFA entertained an question/complaint from a manager about a throw in.
Yep, I was shocked too, I had him the week after and he had great pleasure in telling me that I was wrong. I said I 100% wasn’t and made my own call via an inside source to find who’d said what. After explaining that it 100% came in play the FA man said he’d check and get back to me! He did and said he’d been asked a different scenario! On other matters I’ve zero confidence of my former County FA to run a bath never mind a football ‘business’. They can’t even tell the facts to an FA officer or give me legally requested documents!!!

Last edited:

Perhaps they listened to the manager because he correctly wrote must have on the report?

Unless you're certain the ball has gone in, then you need to give the benefit of the doubt. But yes, you may be able to use feet position....eg, standing throw with feet on the line, then yes, ball will leave the hands on the FOP. Running throw with a lunge and front foot on the line? Ball can easily remain out.

How is it possible for a ball not to come into play , from a player facing the pitch and releasing it correctly?

I guess it depends exactly how you define 'facing the pitch' but the law is not currently interpreted to mean that the player must throw the ball in at 90 degrees to the line (we're not in 1863, for instance). I've seen plenty of players try to throw the ball down line and misjudge their angles to such an extent that the ball does not come into play. Especially if they're throwing the ball from a little behind the touchline, it is possible that the ball might not even break the plane of the line. However I do think that sometimes throws seem to get retaken because the ball hasn't fully entered the pitch, which is incorrect.

Back