A&H

The use of homophobic language

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the feeling I get aswell. On my last safeguarding course, we spoke about this sort of issue and were told how to deal with it. But, worryingly it seems that this issue, which is more prevelant today than it ever has been, is being slightly overlooked by the county FA's.

I would advise anyone out there who hasn't had any D&I training, contact your RDO and have a chat about getting on a course. It is in their best interest to organise a training session for their referees. A referee development day would be a very good opportunity to deliver such training.

The Referee Store
Enter the Nanny State.
Adults are responsible for their own actions Brian. End of. What if the ref didn't hear it? Mr Vengeful would still feel the same. I totally get it, I really do - but there's no way I'm responsible for the willful violent actions of another adult. ...
The referee says he didn't hear it but will report it. You responsible for the safety of everyone who enters your field and that includes taking preventative action where possible.

That's the feeling I get aswell. On my last safeguarding course, we spoke about this sort of issue and were told how to deal with it. But, worryingly it seems that this issue, which is more prevelant today than it ever has been, is being slightly overlooked by the county FA's.

I would advise anyone out there who hasn't had any D&I training, contact your RDO and have a chat about getting on a course. It is in their best interest to organise a training session for their referees. A referee development day would be a very good opportunity to deliver such training.
It's available as eLearning through an online course

https://learning.thefa.com/enrol/index.php?id=272

I completed my training about 3 years ago at the same time as I did a E&D course through a local college. I doubled up on my First Aid training too (FA and external provider). One of the "joys" of having time on your hands while out of work; you get to do some personal development.

Reactions: DB
Thanks for that @Brian Hamilton. I posed a similar question to a Cornwall-based referee group on Facebook. No one really knows how to deal with it properly.

You responsible for the safety of everyone who enters your field and that includes taking preventative action where possible.
The referee says he didn't hear it but will report it. You responsible for the safety of everyone who enters your field and that includes taking preventative action where possible.

Show me where it says that in the LOTG. The meat of Law 5 seems to suggest that the referee isn't responsible.

In any event. No referee can prevent another adult doing anything on the field. The case rests .....

Show me where it says that in the LOTG. The meat of Law 5 seems to suggest that the referee isn't responsible.

In any event. No referee can prevent another adult doing anything on the field. The case rests .....
You're absolutely right. There now, does that make you feel better?

So was running the line in a competitive friendly last night and half time comes, full back of the team I who I had been on walks past me and says "when are you going to wave your flag you poof". Get him to come with me to the ref and I explain to the ref what he said and to my amazement he pulls out a yellow and cautions him.

Last edited:
So was running the line in a competitive friendly last night and half time comes, full back of the team I who I had been on walks past me and says "when are you going to wave your flag you poof". Get him to come with me to the ref and I explain to the ref what he said and to my amazement me pulls out a yellow and cautions him.
Did you discuss with the ref before the card, or after the match?

Here is what the RDO of the Amateur FA said. In essence, you can report it however you like.

You are correct. If there is a complaint about a racist or homophobic remark, even if you haven't heard it, you do have a responsibility to report it. At the AFA we will accept it in the form of an email, or you can use the WGS discipline reporting (misconduct form) or send it in on a disciplinary form to discipline@amateur-fa.com

It is then funnelled through to our County Welfare Officer, Jackie Newing, who will investigate.

You can also report it directly to one of the FA hotlines set up for this purpose and they will investigate. "Kick It Out" is an FA campaign to deal with discrimination, and they can be contacted at 0800 169 9414.

University match, player told to wait on whistle before taking free kick, on the third time of blowing it and calling it back because I am having a word with the player who committed the offence, I say to the free taker next time I am finding out your name, now let me finish here. The I am having a word with laughs and the free taker says "I will knock your fxxxing bxllxcks in, you wee fruit" immediate red card! Captain sprints over and says "what is that "? I said well do you want it to be for homophobic language or the threat of physical violence? Captain says far enough ref and turns to dismissed player you fxxxing clampit you should know better! I just laughed was going to call him back and say seriously?

So, I was correct :cool: Just listen to me and everything will be okay!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:angel::angel:

Do we have to?

@Ross - looks like a candidate for the new overlord of the forum :asshat:
@DB - Can't be any worse than Trump being President of the USA :poop:

Here is what the RDO of the Amateur FA said. In essence, you can report it however you like.

You are correct. If there is a complaint about a racist or homophobic remark, even if you haven't heard it, you do have a responsibility to report it. At the AFA we will accept it in the form of an email, or you can use the WGS discipline reporting (misconduct form) or send it in on a disciplinary form to discipline@amateur-fa.com

It is then funnelled through to our County Welfare Officer, Jackie Newing, who will investigate.

You can also report it directly to one of the FA hotlines set up for this purpose and they will investigate. "Kick It Out" is an FA campaign to deal with discrimination, and they can be contacted at 0800 169 9414.
Couple of things... @Trip well done for going and getting the advice provided by members of the forum confirmed by an employee of The FA. Keep working on your self-development like that and you will go far. Too many would have either just accepted or rejected what they read on the internet.

Those who say you shouldn't report it if you don't hear it, you do.

I think that this is the definitive answer on the subject. Let's close the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back