A&H

TOT v LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Liverpool do not have any luck with VAR, when playing Tottenham in London. Massive error and maybe competency testing needs to be done to ensure the VARs are at a minimum standard.

I know why it wont work, but the fact PL refs can't really be demoted doesn't help. There's no threat or jeopardy to their position. There should be.

Not really sure what they mean by "VAR failed to intervene". It came up on the screen and in the ground for VAR checking for potential offside, so what were they actually checking. They are going to have to explain it a lot better than that.

Realistically if this was human error being rested for the next weekend isn't going to be enough, whoever was at fault is going to get thrown to the wolves. Some of the Liverpool comments about VAR are a bit ridiculous though, they are forgetting that the AR flagged for offside, so before VAR it would still have been a disallowed goal, and, ironically, people would have been calling for VAR because of it.

Not really sure what they mean by "VAR failed to intervene". It came up on the screen and in the ground for VAR checking for potential offside, so what were they actually checking. They are going to have to explain it a lot better than that.

Realistically if this was human error being rested for the next weekend isn't going to be enough, whoever was at fault is going to get thrown to the wolves. Some of the Liverpool comments about VAR are a bit ridiculous though, they are forgetting that the AR flagged for offside, so before VAR it would still have been a disallowed goal, and, ironically, people would have been calling for VAR because of it.
Why did the AR put his flag up? I thought they have been told to wait? So the whole team have got that decision wrong, that’s really poor all round

Why did the AR put his flag up? I thought they have been told to wait? So the whole team have got that decision wrong, that’s really poor all round

He did delay the flag until after the goal was scored. So the AR made a poor but understandable flash lag error. The VAR then made an unacceptable error by missing the defender keeping Diaz on.

He did delay the flag until after the goal was scored. So the AR made a poor but understandable flash lag error. The VAR then made an unacceptable error by missing the defender keeping Diaz on.
Thanks for clarifying 👍

Offside with VAR is considered to be a matter of fact. And at lower levels at least, games have been replayed for errors in fact and law, I'm struggling a little bit to see why that shouldn't be the case here?

Offside with VAR is considered to be a matter of fact. And at lower levels at least, games have been replayed for errors in fact and law, I'm struggling a little bit to see why that shouldn't be the case here?

The Laws of the Game say it's not the case.

Match validity In principle, a match is not invalidated because of:
• malfunction(s) of the VAR technology (as for goal line technology (GLT))
• wrong decision(s) involving the VAR (as the VAR is a match official)
• decision(s) not to review an incident
• review(s) of a non-reviewable situation/decision

Games have only been replaced for decisions that were incorrect in law. Like playing extra time when you shouldn't (or vice versa), giving the wrong restart for penalty encroachment, etc.

That is very different to a referee seeing something and taking the wrong decision, which is what appears to have happened here. They've seen the offside decision and somehow decided not to review it, that's a mistake but it isn't incorrect in law.

"in principal" is an interesting caveat to include. I'd be interested to see how firm that principal is if challenged!

And a second one! WFT. Stupid. But that first booking looked like no contact and the Spurs player tripping himself.
The 1st 1 is mandatory for me. Clearly stops a promising attack. There was contact, albeit, very very minimal and once the foul is called its a yellow.
Thought he was lucky to get away with another one just before this, he was a walking red card in the 2nd half

The games that are replayed at grassroots are generally, and I struggle to think of an example that's not, a competition rule breach. Not a laws of the game error.
For example, sin bins used when not in comp rules, or playing extra time when should go straight to pens or vice versa.

Factual Error = Demand a Replay = Reap what you sew

I haven't seen any of it, but the radio commentary was very quick to pick up on the incorrect offside
And I don't give a monkeys about the game, but that's where we're at

Remember it was the clubs that decided against the semi automated technology from the World Cup.
I'm very much with you on that. I'm in favour of AI
It will speed the process up dramatically and at least we won't be blaming unacceptable incompetence
I'm really 100% with you on this

Anyway, I'll drop off the thread as I've nothing else to add, aside from one other thing
PGMOL VAR is obsessed with freeze frame and ultra slow-motion. I don't don't know and I don't care whether they reached the right decision today with the red card, but I do care very much that the game is not played in slow motion and it's a mis-use of the technology and against the ethos of VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back