A&H

United v Wolves

The Referee Store
Yeah penalty all day long. VAR seemed to spend the most time on the worst angle, which was the only one it wasn’t obvious for - but would have expected this to be given on the field and then by VAR if not.

Sometimes it feels like it being the GK can give them a bit of a blind spot? Different situation, but reminds me a bit of Ederson on Ryan Fraser a while back in the clear-and-obviousness of it

I wonder if the fact that the ball was already played and going away from goal before impact influenced the decision and it then falls into a similar category as the Brentford v Spurs incident

I wonder if the fact that the ball was already played and going away from goal before impact influenced the decision and it then falls into a similar category as the Brentford v Spurs incident
Massive difference here is Onana got absolutely nowhere near the ball.

Utterly ridiculous, another green light for keepers to just wipeout an attacker without any consequence :confused:

I cannot believe that wasn’t even recommended for a review, to me that’s a clear and obvious error to not award a penalty there. Missed the ball, slammed his body into the player than thrown his arms down on top of him

This is a nonsense again. They admit they made a mistake, but it was a vital point for wolves that was snatched from them. Once again VAR make a mistake at old Trafford in favour of United. Luckily I’m not a conspiracy chap, but just think VAR is failing again.

I wonder if the fact that the ball was already played and going away from goal before impact influenced the decision
I think that absolutely influenced the decision . . . that plus latitude for the keeper who has his eyes on the ball when he goes up . . .

I cannot believe that wasn’t even recommended for a review, to me that’s a clear and obvious error to not award a penalty there. Missed the ball, slammed his body into the player than thrown his arms down on top of him
I don’t disagree with your concept, but am quibbling with your language. The same standard applies to whether it should be recommended for review by the VAR and whether it should have been reversed on review by the R.

I kind understand how an R can miss this--following where the ball is goi g for the next moment Stead of anticipating the kind of contact that occurred. But that doesn’t explain the VAR miss. As a former GK I want GKs to ge some leeway- but not this much.

Contact to the head with force - argument for serious foul play there
I don’t think you’ll get a lot of buyers on that one. The GK was making a play on the ball with his hands--he missed, but it’s not the same thing as an outfield player hands to face.

The same standard applies to whether it should be recommended for review by the VAR and whether it should have been reversed on review by the R
Not sure I 100% follow, not from a point of disagreement, just confusion :)

I feel as though you’re suggesting once you’ve reached a stage of review, it should be overturned because it’s so C&O? Or maybe I’m misreading.

I phrased it that way as I think we’ve heard regularly that VAR isn’t there to ‘re-referee’ games, and once it reaches a review point, the referee still has authority to stick to their original decision (although this is very rarely the case, due to the nature of when reviews are used, in contrast to say TMO in rugby).

I just phrased it this way as an I expected VAR to call an OFR recommendation with multiple camera angles and whatnot, but obviously the referee still may feel completely different about the incident for one reason or another.

Back