A&H

20 games before applying...

Bournref

Level 6 Referee
Hi all, so... Looking to get on the promotion scheme next season and I know I need to complete 20 games (14 Open age) this season before I can even apply.
I'm just wondering if pre season friendlies would count as part of the '20' as I middled 2 of these before the start of this season. I'm just starting to panic a little as i'm still 6 middles short and getting games in my leagues is very competitive!

Also how do you 'prove' the games you have done? WGS? Full time?
Anyone with any experience with this help please?

The Referee Store
On the proving games, keep the emails you've received of appointments, keep the match sheets you've used to record score etc, that side of things shouldn't be too difficult.

I can't help on the friendlies unfortunately.

Contact your RDO, generally friendlies won’t count for any promotion scheme game, this doesn’t mean they won’t count for you to be eligible for promotion.

You don’t need to prove the games you’ve done generally while applying to join the promotion scheme, but I imagine there’s a cursory check with leagues or wgs to ensure you are doing them, make sure as @wazztie16 said you have your own record just in case, and especially when on the scheme.

Third, sometimes you can be let on promotion if you haven’t met that criteria, it’s generally to stop people just jumping straight on to the scheme, but I didn’t do 20 games before applying to 7-6 but was allowed on anyway, and don’t forget the season for marking will run to May this year, so you will have longer than you think to get in those middles for eligibility.

Hi all, so... Looking to get on the promotion scheme next season and I know I need to complete 20 games (14 Open age) this season before I can even apply.
I'm just wondering if pre season friendlies would count as part of the '20' as I middled 2 of these before the start of this season. I'm just starting to panic a little as i'm still 6 middles short and getting games in my leagues is very competitive!

Also how do you 'prove' the games you have done? WGS? Full time?
Anyone with any experience with this help please?
The exact rules vary between Counties. I'm sure there's a degree of common sense & discretion, especially if you're asking sensible questions in advance.
Like @OssieSC points out, your RDO is your contact

Daft question but is this the same requirement for all counties?

I was under the impression that you apply to be part of the promotion scheme (7 to 6) and then you have to fulfill the 20 games requirement during that season (some of which need to be assessed).

Reading the above suggests that's not correct and you need to do 20 games before being considered for the scheme?

Daft question but is this the same requirement for all counties?

I was under the impression that you apply to be part of the promotion scheme (7 to 6) and then you have to fulfill the 20 games requirement during that season (some of which need to be assessed).

Reading the above suggests that's not correct and you need to do 20 games before being considered for the scheme?
20 games during the season for 7-6 is a (theoretically) set in stone requirement that should be the same across the country. It has to be mostly open age and should include 3 to 5 observations. Some counties also mandate 5 lines as well.

20 games before you join the promotion scheme is a loose guideline that is set by individual counties mainly meant to make sure that you don't start trying to run before you can walk. If you've done a full season between qualifying and starting promotion, you just need to make your RDO aware that you're interested in joining the scheme and persuade them you're experienced enough to start. If you've done more than one season, I doubt they'd even ask about your 20 "pre-qualifying" games.

It does sound like both you and the OP are getting a little confused about the distinction between these two sets of requirements. Despite being similar on paper, the reality is that they're quite different in implementation. The former is a formal requirement in order to achieve a qualification and will come with a specific way to keep records of what you've achieved. The latter is a loose guideline to just put a quick pause in between beginning refereeing and trying to climb the ladder, nothing more than that.

20 games during the season for 7-6 is a (theoretically) set in stone requirement that should be the same across the country. It has to be mostly open age and should include 3 to 5 observations. Some counties also mandate 5 lines as well.

20 games before you join the promotion scheme is a loose guideline that is set by individual counties mainly meant to make sure that you don't start trying to run before you can walk. If you've done a full season between qualifying and starting promotion, you just need to make your RDO aware that you're interested in joining the scheme and persuade them you're experienced enough to start. If you've done more than one season, I doubt they'd even ask about your 20 "pre-qualifying" games.

It does sound like both you and the OP are getting a little confused about the distinction between these two sets of requirements. Despite being similar on paper, the reality is that they're quite different in implementation. The former is a formal requirement in order to achieve a qualification and will come with a specific way to keep records of what you've achieved. The latter is a loose guideline to just put a quick pause in between beginning refereeing and trying to climb the ladder, nothing more than that.

Really well explained there, thank you.

Thanks for all the other input too.

Spot on, thank you for taking the time to explain. That's the first I have heard of the recommended 20 games before joining the scheme.

It's a national standard controlled by the FA, copy below is rule 4(E) of the FA's regulations for the registration and control of referees.

(e) A Level 7 Referee must officiate as a Referee in a minimum of 20 games in one registration period before applying for promotion. No Affiliated Association may impose any other qualification periods which cause delayed passage through the promotion pyramid.

I was always under the impression that wasn't the case.

I always thought that you timed your application for promotion to be towards the end of 1 season in order to be accepted/enrolled onto a promotion scheme by your RDO the following season. It's then (your promotion season) that you are required to embark on your minimum 20 games (including 3 x Observations)? pretty sure that's how I did it? :)

I was always under the impression that wasn't the case.

I always thought that you timed your application for promotion to be towards the end of 1 season in order to be accepted/enrolled onto a promotion scheme by your RDO the following season. It's then (your promotion season) that you are required to embark on your minimum 20 games (including 3 x Observations)? pretty sure that's how I did it? :)
Yes. Similar to me 7 years ago. But they have since updated the rules to say that you need toto have done 20 games before being considered for the promotion path.
Assume it's to do with people apply g and then dropping out. Wasting precious observer resources that could have been better spent on committed candidates.

Back