A&H

A Madrid v City

The Referee Store
Anyone else think this is a really poor display from this referee for such a high profile European game?

BTW this was his 10th ever CL game and his first year working in the knockout stages. He's never officiated Atletico before in Europe.

Let's not go too hard on a young rising referee because he didn't handle this game like Felix Brych did at the end of his career. He'll probably learn a few things from this.

I think they kind of threw him to the wolves knowing there was a good chance it would go wrong because UEFA doesn't have access to a lot of it's top refs for the semis. No Spanish or English refs, Hatagan (heart attack), Karasev (Russian), or Cakir (issues at home) for the semis. So Seibert got the "sink or swim" game.

It felt like one of those Atletico nights that needed Felix Brych or Kuipers to get though without a ton of issues. Otherwise these feels like the type of game you're going to get with Simeone no matter what.

There's an easy solution to that. Get him in the stand as soon as possible, whether that is yellows for his early offeces, or a straight red when he completely oversteps the mark. I've refereed teams that have been a nightmare, then as soon as I've got rid of the manager they become much better.

BTW this was his 10th ever CL game and his first year working in the knockout stages. He's never officiated Atletico before in Europe.

Let's not go too hard on a young rising referee because he didn't handle this game like Felix Brych did at the end of his career. He'll probably learn a few things from this.
The obvious question is why is someone so inexperienced is refereeing a ECL quater final that was always likely to be a powder keg. He will learn from it, but do you really want that kind of game to be one where the inexperienced referee is learning?

Reactions: es1
Think an extended ban could be coming for Felipe. Failed to leave the FOP for a good two minutes and then when he did he could still be seen at the top of the tunnel watching the game. Surprised the 40 didn’t deal with this

The obvious question is why is someone so inexperienced is refereeing a ECL quater final that was always likely to be a powder keg. He will learn from it, but do you really want that kind of game to be one where the inexperienced referee is learning?

I added to my post, but will expand on it. They can't use Taylor/Oliver or Spanish refs (obviously). Four more World Cup caliber refs (Cakir/Orsato/Hatagan/Karasev) are injured or dealing with politics. And I don't think they wanted to use someone from the semis or final (Turpin/Kovacs/Marciniak/Makellie/Vincic) for the fear that it could go really wrong for them. So I think Siebert got the "sink or swim" assignment because UEFA is struggling for people in the Elite list.

I'm going to go against the grain slightly and I thought the ref had a decent game and it was a shame it all kicked off near the end. Not the referees fault if Savic lost his head because he saw Foden rolling back onto the pitch, commentators predictably was adament he should be sent off for that(I think yellow was the right call) and he got the sending off correct with the second yellow for the kick out by Felipe.

I don't think there was all that much needle in the game itself as Atletico had to try and get a goal so they couldn't do their usual tactics of feigning injury and time wasting. Maybe VAR could of got involved with the 'headbutt' but it's one of those where it's just more head to head too me, no real force and thankfully Sterling(?) did not make a meal of it.

Maybe VAR could of got involved with the 'headbutt' but it's one of those where it's just more head to head too me, no real force and thankfully Sterling(?) did not make a meal of it.

It's pretty wild that UEFA would probably not want that to be a red card now. Quite a change from the mid-2010s when VC was thrown out for things like that and small kickouts.

It's pretty wild that UEFA would probably not want that to be a red card now. Quite a change from the mid-2010s when VC was thrown out for things like that and small kickouts.

For me, there is nothing more infuriating seeing a red card for head on head with very little contact. We don't even know if the VAR even spotted it as so much was going on but if Peter Walton managed to spot it(or he got told by someone else!) then maybe he should of seen it and alerted the ref!

We don't even know if the VAR even spotted it as so much was going on but if Peter Walton managed to spot it(or he got told by someone else!) then maybe he should of seen it and alerted the ref!
What, are you joking?
Do you think Peter Walton has a direct line to the VAR. I mean I thought some of your first post was waffle but this beats it

Didn't watch the game, but just seen the late handbags on FB. Atletico under Someone have always endulged in the dark arts and he seems to love players who could start an argument in an empty room.

Football does itself no favours though by turning a blind eye to the constant playacting and gamesmanship at the highest levels. Pretty sure the kick didn't justify Foden going full on Neymar and rolling 5 times with a forehead grab in the middle! 🤬

What, are you joking?
Do you think Peter Walton has a direct line to the VAR. I mean I thought some of your first post was waffle but this beats it

LOL can't believe you even asked that question!

I was not saying Peter Walton should of told the VAR/ref about the headbutt(😳). Walton said he was watching pictures which might of been what the VAR was seeing and I'm just saying if Walton noticed there was a headbutt then perhaps the VAR should of noticed it also and alerted the ref. Obviously in the CL it's different to the prem as we don't get too see what pictures the VAR is viewing but there was a red card check, whether it was for the headbutt or not I don't know.

only seen the Felipe meltdown, absolutely unnacceptable and hopefully a 6 month ban.

it wont be though.

that aside, horrible melee for the officials, so its not a slant on them, the interesting part being most refs preach dealing with the red cards first after a stromash, this ref gave his two yellows, then went for the second yellow and red.

only seen the Felipe meltdown, absolutely unnacceptable and hopefully a 6 month ban.

it wont be though.

that aside, horrible melee for the officials, so its not a slant on them, the interesting part being most refs preach dealing with the red cards first after a stromash, this ref gave his two yellows, then went for the second yellow and red.
I think he dealt with what he had seen first, he hadn't seen the secondary motion of Felipe's tackle and seemed to be alerted by one of the ARs or 4th official. Quite rare to see the officials actually get together on the pitch like that these days, usually all done over comms.

LOL can't believe you even asked that question!

I was not saying Peter Walton should of told the VAR/ref about the headbutt(😳). Walton said he was watching pictures which might of been what the VAR was seeing and I'm just saying if Walton noticed there was a headbutt then perhaps the VAR should of noticed it also and alerted the ref. Obviously in the CL it's different to the prem as we don't get too see what pictures the VAR is viewing but there was a red card check, whether it was for the headbutt or not I don't know.
Of course VAR should have noticed, they have one job to do, have access to multiple camera, and have a remit for spotting VC and alerting the officials to it. Be interesting to see if UEFA take retrospective action against Savic, given he committed two obvious acts of VC, as that would be a damning indictment on VAR.

I think he dealt with what he had seen first, he hadn't seen the secondary motion of Felipe's tackle and seemed to be alerted by one of the ARs or 4th official. Quite rare to see the officials actually get together on the pitch like that these days, usually all done over comms.

That would make sense and I cant even imagine the adrenalin pumping through him at that point, never mind any other part of the game.

Just watchimg more of the drama, when did City sign Neymar? Am not really up to speed with football other than refereeing aspects but thats Neymar somehow wearing a shirt saying Foden

Absolutely he was booted, only he will know how sore it was but those theatrics are shameful. Every traditional UK football fan would be ridiculing a notorious cheat for those antics. Regardless of whether Atheltico ' deserved' it

i hope UEFA open a charge against him

Honestly, who else could have done it? Makkelie is likely doing the final. Turpin is likely on one of the semifinal second legs. No English or Spanish referee could have done it. Apparently, Orsato is injured. As noted earlier, no Karasev, Hategan, or Cakir. Brych and Kuipers are retired from international duty at a minimum.

Unless you bring in a big South American option like Pitana or Rapallini, Siebert was as good of an option as anyone.

As others have said, what is the constant for these s***house games?

EDIT-I missed your follow up post. Apologies.

Last edited:
Back