A&H

Abused... By a fellow ref

Phonesurgeon

Cook, Cleaner and Bottle Washer
Level 7 Referee
Unbelievable, it happened today during a ladies cup tie.
Home team was definitely the stronger side, and after only 25 minutes were running away with it (7-0 end score). I let go some of the smaller stuff, trying to let game flow as much as possible, but this particular guy, just couldn't keep its mouth shut. I warned him several time, when he continued I showed him the red card. He was standing with the home bench. Home manager said he is a fellow ref, but couldn't even given me his details.
After the game ended in car park while waiting to be paid, he started at me again, saying stuff like I was pathetic, I didn't know what I was doing, and that is why I'm still level 7.
I was kind shocked, i would have never thought abuse from a fellow ref.
Luckily enough, one of home team player took a nice face pic of him and sent me it. First thing tomorrow I will email ref department at CFA and see what can be done.

The Referee Store
Unbelievable, it happened today during a ladies cup tie.
Home team was definitely the stronger side, and after only 25 minutes were running away with it (7-0 end score). I let go some of the smaller stuff, trying to let game flow as much as possible, but this particular guy, just couldn't keep its mouth shut. I warned him several time, when he continued I showed him the red card. He was standing with the home bench. Home manager said he is a fellow ref, but couldn't even given me his details.
After the game ended in car park while waiting to be paid, he started at me again, saying stuff like I was pathetic, I didn't know what I was doing, and that is why I'm still level 7.
I was kind shocked, i would have never thought abuse from a fellow ref.
Luckily enough, one of home team player took a nice face pic of him and sent me it. First thing tomorrow I will email ref department at CFA and see what can be done.
It's football. Nothing is that much of a surprise
Let it all slide off you and tick the box for the experience incurred. He'll get his knuckles rapped
BTW, 'several warnings' doesn't sound wise. Any second exchange has to be accompanied by a card

Was he supposed to be on the bench? If the manager didn't know who he was, then was he team personnel or a spectator. If a spectator, he shouldn't receive cards.

One other thought. You say you warned him several times and gave him a red card, but don't say anything about a yellow card. If he was a team official subject to cards, the yellow would have been the way to make clear that the behavior had to change.

Slap in an Extraordinary Misconduct for the extras in the car park. Extra fine and ban will come his way. You have his name I guess, so you can easily check to see if he's a ref (Google is your friend)

If he is an actual referee, any ban will mean he's not able to play or referee in that time.

However the number of supposed "qualified referees" I've come across in my time is laughable.

Thanks guys, warned several time=passing comments, then the red card for telling me I was an effing poo... In hindsight I should've asked the name, but in haste I gave him the red as I wanted him gone.
On the confusion was he home team personnel, or spectator, I haven't a clue, as I arrived he was with home team while warming up.
When I asked home manager, he said he was a ref, that he done some games for them last season, so not a part of bench. When I asked him about why was he near his bench, his reply was "I can't control spectators". My brain going into facepalm, even explain to this manager, was going to be an effort, so left it at that and left.
I am going to report the sending off and extraordinary for the car park eulogy. I'll mention that the person refused details but I have a photo of offender.

Thanks guys, warned several time=passing comments, then the red card for telling me I was an effing poo... In hindsight I should've asked the name, but in haste I gave him the red as I wanted him gone.
On the confusion was he home team personnel, or spectator, I haven't a clue, as I arrived he was with home team while warming up.
When I asked home manager, he said he was a ref, that he done some games for them last season, so not a part of bench. When I asked him about why was he near his bench, his reply was "I can't control spectators". My brain going into facepalm, even explain to this manager, was going to be an effort, so left it at that and left.
I am going to report the sending off and extraordinary for the car park eulogy. I'll mention that the person refused details but I have a photo of offender.

If i was a betting man (I am) id have plenty of money on the chap not being a qualified referee. You hear it several times as season. Classic examples are when you're inspecting the field of play before the game and there's a chance you're going to call it off. You get a "qualified ref" advising you that the pitch is fit to play.

If he knows about the 'levels' system then maybe he's previously qualified but not active. If he is an active ref and he's acting like that then he wants a rap on the knuckles.

“I’m a ref” probably means he’s done the basic course as a coach but isn’t actually a ref and has never refereed a game in his life.

The basic course IMO, isn’t very good....that’s being polite.

I’ve had this with coaches before ‘who are refs’, they seem to think it gives them free reign to say what they want. This included some post-match ‘advice’ from one coach, who was quick to tell me he’d done the course, and that I should be refereeing the line (for offside) when play is in the middle of the pitch.

This was following two offside calls he didn’t like, both of which my observer said I was correct on. I also got above standard for positioning that game.

Bottom line is I doubt an actual referee would act in this manner. I’ve even found myself being more objective regarding decisions for Everton games, and I’m as biased as they come!

“I’m a ref” probably means he’s done the basic course as a coach but isn’t actually a ref and has never refereed a game in his life.

The basic course IMO, isn’t very good....that’s being polite.

I’ve had this with coaches before ‘who are refs’, they seem to think it gives them free reign to say what they want. This included some post-match ‘advice’ from one coach, who was quick to tell me he’d done the course, and that I should be refereeing the line (for offside) when play is in the middle of the pitch.

This was following two offside calls he didn’t like, both of which my observer said I was correct on. I also got above standard for positioning that game.

Bottom line is I doubt an actual referee would act in this manner. I’ve even found myself being more objective regarding decisions for Everton games, and I’m as biased as they come!
refereeing thevteam you love is a nightmare

As others have said, more often than not they won't actually be qualified, and even less so registered. Neil Warnock always used to bang on about it, and whilst he indeed was a registered referee some time ago his registration, and therefore qualification would have lapsed decades ago.

I had kind of the opposite on a recent supply league game where the home keeper was bemoaning the assistant for not knowing the offside laws. The assistant was spot on, and I happen to know that the keeper is a qualified referee as he has ran my line a couple of times in recent years ... :)

Whaddya know? Google is plenty helpful.
Done a picture reverse search and landed on the guy social media, confirmed it was his, got a name, checked against CFA, and he is an actual ref, a level 4 at that. So card and extraordinary report gone to CFA.

Done a picture reverse search and landed on the guy social media, confirmed it was his, got a name, checked against CFA, and he is an actual ref, a level 4 at that. So card and extraordinary report gone to CFA.

Wow! That’s shocked me.

How would a referee with that kind of attitude gets to as high as level 4 is beyond me.

A number of years ago we had a report from a junior referee (minor) that a senior referee was being abusive as an spectator from the side line and was trying to intimidate him. After the game the 'spectator' followed the referee to the change room and yelled stuff like 'you shouldn't be a referee' at him. There reason the ref knew the spectator was a referee, get this, he did all that while wearing a referee uniform.

The referees committee investigated this and found it was a registered referee who was also a member of the club the game was being played at and his son was playing at that particular game (he was going to referee a game in a nearby field after that game). Suffice to say he chose to resign as a referee before a hearing. The matter was reported to the football body but no action was taken against him.

Last edited:
Incredibly disappointing.
As a senior referee he should perhaps consider some developmental advice if he feels it necessary to help you. His behaviour is unnaceltable.
I hope he is suspended from all footballing activity and he then has to explain why he is coming off games to the FA!!!

I always welcome constructive feedback from a more experienced ref, this helps building confidence and knowledge. When I first started, I had help from 2 great level 5 ref, fairly local to me, that mentored me for pretty much my very first season in the middle.
This incident is beyond comprehension, I don't know why this guy felt so aggrevied with my performance, I feel I did ok and there weren't any big KMI. Go figure.

A level 4?? Jesus, ... The FA are going to have a field day with him!

If i was a betting man (I am) id have plenty of money on the chap not being a qualified referee. You hear it several times as season. Classic examples are when you're inspecting the field of play before the game and there's a chance you're going to call it off. You get a "qualified ref" advising you that the pitch is fit to play.

If he knows about the 'levels' system then maybe he's previously qualified but not active. If he is an active ref and he's acting like that then he wants a rap on the knuckles.
Ironically, I called mine off on Saturday and one of the players was a qualified ref (I actually think it was true in this case) and was on my side saying it’s a good decision to call off 😁

Game finished 7-0 so it's highly unlikely you had much, if any, influence on the result (unless you are claiming all 7 goals in a MOTM performance 😉).

However even if the game had been closer and you'd been involved in some form of contentious decision, the way the he's acted, as an active referee is bang out of order and quite honestly he should know a lot better if he is an active L4.

I've been at games and watched lower level referees and it's always a difficult one, especially if you don't know them as whether to go over and have a respectful chat with them post game and try to give them a 1 or 2 constructive pointers or to bite your tongue and say nothing. For me those are the only 2 options, nothing else is on the table.

@Phonesurgeon
It's really important to know who your 'team officials' are prior to KO
This ref sounds like he's merely an 'outside agent', in which case it's just noise (only prejudicial comments must get our attn. and be reported etc.)
The other thing, in my experience, is that unless you follow the dismissal procedure correctly, it's likely the chap will get off with any offence, if he claims mis-identity etc.

Also, don't let the manager get away with the "I can't control spectators" rubbish. He can and is obliged to control spectators and if he can't do so, you have all the usual options up to and including abandonment.

Back