A&H

Additional time

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Not necessarily a point for a particular fixture but have people noticed the additional time has been clawed back massively since the opening few weeks?

Like most new things the FA "change" for the new seasons ahead, clamping down etc, the first international break came along and added time shrinks.
At the Brentford v Luton game today, for example, the captain for Luton is down for about 3-4 minutes (not even exaggerating). And the Luton keeper is warned, and then subsequently cautioned for wasting time at goal kicks, but only 2 minutes added on. The caution incident took a good minute to restart too. He moved the ball again after getting the card before restarting.

The Referee Store
Not necessarily a point for a particular fixture but have people noticed the additional time has been clawed back massively since the opening few weeks?

Like most new things the FA "change" for the new seasons ahead, clamping down etc, the first international break came along and added time shrinks.
At the Brentford v Luton game today, for example, the captain for Luton is down for about 3-4 minutes (not even exaggerating). And the Luton keeper is warned, and then subsequently cautioned for wasting time at goal kicks, but only 2 minutes added on. The caution incident took a good minute to restart too. He moved the ball again after getting the card before restarting.
Of course. :rolleyes: Because a caution for time wasting means “OK, you’ve had your car—now you can waste as much time as you’d like . . .”

Of course. :rolleyes: Because a caution for time wasting means “OK, you’ve had your car—now you can waste as much time as you’d like . . .”
I meant that, including the caution, it took a good minute, not that he took an additional minute after the caution came.

I meant that, including the caution, it took a good minute, not that he took an additional minute after the caution came.
Oh I understood that, but you also said the GK delayed further by moving the ball.

Every time a R cautions for time wasting without adding the time taken for the caution, the time waster wins. I just don’t get it at all.

(I did have a game in a tournament where we weren’t allowed to add time. (Yeah, I know, don’t get me started…) Only time I’ve ever flashed a card without writing anything down. I figured I could remember a number for the 2 minutes left in the game rather than wasting time on the administrative stuff and still make the point there would be no more time wasting.)

Think I heard over the weekends games one of the commentators say that the minutes are no longer as crazy as they were at the beginning of the season.

Have the players actually learned or referees just not doing it anymore with pressure from TV companies for their ad breaks, or fed up with the grief of the extended time?

Think I heard over the weekends games one of the commentators say that the minutes are no longer as crazy as they were at the beginning of the season.

Have the players actually learned or referees just not doing it anymore with pressure from TV companies for their ad breaks, or fed up with the grief of the extended time?
Think it depends entirely on the game. There was one last week that had well over 10 minutes added in one half, and the Everton Villa game today had 8 in the first half. They are still adding on all relevant stoppages, so perhaps the players have learnt that time wasting is pointless and that is why the average time added appears to be coming down.

Yes, just like at Wolves vs Chelsea on Christmas Eve, they added 11 minutes on to the second half (played about 13). There was NOT that much time wasted imo. Also, Brentford vs Wolves (league) had 9 played in the 1st half and Wolves vs Everton had 6 and 9 respectively in the 1st & 2nd halves. All recently so I don't think it's gone anywhere (apologies for all egs being Wolves matches)

Yes, just like at Wolves vs Chelsea on Christmas Eve, they added 11 minutes on to the second half (played about 13). There was NOT that much time wasted imo. Also, Brentford vs Wolves (league) had 9 played in the 1st half and Wolves vs Everton had 6 and 9 respectively in the 1st & 2nd halves. All recently so I don't think it's gone anywhere (apologies for all egs being Wolves matches)
I can confirm that nothing has changed from a PGMOL point of view. Officiating teams are still required to make exact note of timings for all relevant stoppages (subs, injuries, goals, red cards, penalties etc) to enable correct additional time. Interestingly, this does not include yellow cards, unless the team believe that the time taken to issue the card is unusually long. More broadly, nothing has changed from the 'new approach' at the start of the season, as evidenced eg by the 'technical' cards issued by the likes of Chris Kavanagh & John Brooks (amongst others) over the weekend. Unlike other 'initiatives' this one is here to stay ....

I can confirm that nothing has changed from a PGMOL point of view. Officiating teams are still required to make exact note of timings for all relevant stoppages (subs, injuries, goals, red cards, penalties etc) to enable correct additional time. Interestingly, this does not include yellow cards, unless the team believe that the time taken to issue the card is unusually long. More broadly, nothing has changed from the 'new approach' at the start of the season, as evidenced eg by the 'technical' cards issued by the likes of Chris Kavanagh & John Brooks (amongst others) over the weekend. Unlike other 'initiatives' this one is here to stay ....
Yes, always found it strange yellows aren't added on as law clearly states it should be. That said if, as is the case through PGMO they just flash the card so delays aren't really incurred

Yes, always found it strange yellows aren't added on as law clearly states it should be. That said if, as is the case through PGMO they just flash the card so delays aren't really incurred
I think that general way of giving cards is exactly why it isn’t specified the same way. But I would think they should at least be very specific when a card is given for time wasting. It drives me nuts to see a card given for DR during added time and the added time played is exactly what was announced previously—signaling to everyone that it is an effective strategy as you get the time you wasted, plus the time for the caution. Rather than seeing more pointless cautions for DR, I’d love to see Rs more clearly adding on time for it, as that is what is going to change the behavior (especially when no one is willing to give a second DR caution to the GK).

Back