A&H

Advice for young referees on cup finals in both county and league.

maidenmullet

Hi all,

I and two other referees write a monthly newsletter for young referees in our county. For this month's edition, the main theme is going to be cup finals, covering both county and league.

Does anyone have any useful tips, tricks, routines, or general advice that young referees could use (from the age of 14) for finals that they could share?

Thank you for your contribution to the young referee's newsletter!

The Referee Store
It’s just another game play your normal game
I'd say quite the opposite.

Going into a final like any other game is probably counter productive and shows a lack of empathy. This is everyone's biggest games of the season. Preparation will be different.

If you asked me for 1 piece of advice they should take is that the final involves the best 3 teams who have all worked hard to get there. Prepare for the game, think about what things will be different to your usual game (larger crowd/neutral ARs) and think about what you can do to limit the impact of those on your performance.

For those selected as Assistant Referees, try to get a couple of lines in before the Final, to get used to doing the job.
For those refereeing, consider the instructions for AR's and possibly 4th officials, and ask them for two questions each arising from the briefing.
Referee in the way that you have all season, as that's why you have been selected for this Final.
Most importantly . . . enjoy the game.

If you wish to speak to the teams beforehand..."Relax and start the game the same way they would on a typical Sat / Sun.
Your friends, family, supporters have come to watch you play for the whole game, not just 5 mins because because you were over excited and got sent off for something out of character".

Certainly get there much earlier than you would normally do. If you are the referee contact your ARs well in advance and make sure they are there early as well. Same if you have a 4th official, and make sure you give full instructions on what you want from them. Spend time on the 4th official, he or she almost certainly won't be used to that role, and the teams probably won't be used to neutral ARs, let alone a 4th official and technical areas, so you need to cover how you want the technical areas managed.

Make sure you know the timings for the start of the game. There will usually be line ups and respect handshakes that you won't necessarily have in league games, and often there are guests of honour who will be presented to the teams, so that can take more time. There will probably be paying spectators so you don't want to be kicking off late, and you certainly can't be kicking off early while people are still on the way in or finishing their pints in the bar.

I personally wouldn't speak to the teams before the game, certainly not any differently to a normal game, as it could come across a bit patronising. They've earned the right to be there throughout the season just as you and your team have, so once the game starts you should all be carrying on what you have been doing.

- prepare well (check your kit during the week, get to the ground earlier than usual, make sure you are across final rules including KFTPS)
- try to get a good night’s sleep, eat and hydrate well the day before
- be intent on making this the best game of your season without placing too much pressure on yourself
- get involved in the game early and try to make a presence so the players and coaches know you are in the game. This will help build your confidence and you can let the game flow from there as is appropriate.
- remember to take your time with decision making (you always have more time than you think and it is better to be slightly late and right than early and wrong)
- work as a team and rely upon one another
- most importantly, try to enjoy yourself and have a good time. Final referees are not selected by accident and it is a testament to your skill and hard work during the season that you have this game. You’ve got this!

Shirt and tie for any final!
Think COVID has probably changed that for good, and for the better in my opinion. Turning up to a sporting event in a suit is stuck in the past, time moves on and very few jobs now require this compared to 20 years ago. I know of referees who have had to go and buy a suit just for a cup final, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Think COVID has probably changed that for good, and for the better in my opinion. Turning up to a sporting event in a suit is stuck in the past, time moves on and very few jobs now require this compared to 20 years ago. I know of referees who have had to go and buy a suit just for a cup final, that is absolutely ridiculous.
Nope.
Cornwall FA asked for it's final referees to attend suited and booted, even supplying county tie.

Nope.
Cornwall FA asked for it's final referees to attend suited and booted, even supplying county tie.

Assuming we are talking about youth referees, per the OP, unless they also supply the suits and boots I think this is very silly.

To answer the original question really the most important thing is to get there early so you have loads of time and there is no panic. There is nothing worse than turning up for a game having been sweating the whole way there wondering if you'll get there on time. (So I'm told.)

You can take your time over a pitch inspection with your ARs, get to know them a bit, say hello to the club dignitaries who have turned up, all before you go and change.

Assuming we are talking about youth referees, per the OP, unless they also supply the suits and boots I think this is very silly.

To answer the original question really the most important thing is to get there early so you have loads of time and there is no panic. There is nothing worse than turning up for a game having been sweating the whole way there wondering if you'll get there on time. (So I'm told.)

You can take your time over a pitch inspection with your ARs, get to know them a bit, say hello to the club dignitaries who have turned up, all before you go and change.
Yep. Sorry. Forgot the youth bit. This was for Adults.

I personally wouldn't speak to the teams before the game, certainly not any differently to a normal game, as it could come across a bit patronising. They've earned the right to be there throughout the season just as you and your team have, so once the game starts you should all be carrying on what you have been doing.
You need to ensure that the teams know any pre-match timings. So, they need to be ready 5 mins before the appointed time for you to lead them out.

Found out if there is a league / FA officials who will running the pre-match formalities ensuring you know what is expected. It is also useful to know where the presentations will be done after the match.

It can be useful to see both Secretary to ensure no colour clash and they are aware how the match will end, if drawn at full-time - Extra time? Straight to penalties? Also getting the match balls from both teams, so they don't warm up with them.

It’s just another game play your normal game
This is often miscommunicated and misinterpreted. What it should say is apply the laws all the same, as you have been in other games, and as what players have been used to.

This should provide some context. Years ago (a year after law change for undershort colours), I coached my son's U15, 4th division team who made the post season cup final. 5 minutes into the game the young referee asked one of my best players to remove his black undershorts. He had worn them throughout the season including on a couple of other occasions we had the same referee. When I asked the referee (politely of course), why he had not asked this during the season, his answer was, "this is a final". My player had to run 200m to the change rooms and same distance back.

Back