A&H

Advice please - Racism accusation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We cannot decide if a person is racist or not.

We have to decide if there is a racial slur or racially motivated comment.

In this case, it’s an easy RC now we know the text.

(The LotG don’t mention racism or racist BTW. They could fix that by expanding the OFFINABUS section, or including a more meaningful section on inclusivity.)

The Referee Store
It was Ron Atkinson’s 80th birthday this week, I posted happy birthday in another place to be hit by ‘rascist’ and all that. Now I understand what he said was wrong and out of context it sounds more wrong today but he was referring to times 30-40 years ago where it was very different to today’s easily offended about anything culture we seem to live in.
I really don’t know how I’d be a comedian today as most of the jokes I know upset somebody! Wasn’t that the idea!

Last edited:
Thats how society works, same as if you like Micheal Jacksons music, it means you have an overly fond liking for Home Alone movies.
And if you liked Pink Floyd you also like a personal brain light show

Works other way too, my mum has always been into Cliff Richard and his stuff, was always at the gigs but not this time round. Suddenly not as keen, despite him beinv guilty with nothing. So what changes is not his music but other folks impression of you should you like his music.

That said, I like Ozzy Osbourne, and, its breakfast time.....

Thats how society works, same as if you like Micheal Jacksons music, it means you have an overly fond liking for Home Alone movies.
And if you liked Pink Floyd you also like a personal brain light show

Works other way too, my mum has always been into Cliff Richard and his stuff, was always at the gigs but not this time round. Suddenly not as keen, despite him beinv guilty with nothing. So what changes is not his music but other folks impression of you should you like his music.

That said, I like Ozzy Osbourne, and, its breakfast time.....
The Prince of Darkness... there’s a bit of Irony to us all I suppose @Ciley Myrus . Never a rock fan apart from Queen but he’s certainly had a hell of a ride!

Much ado about nowt for me.

Sure, a straight red for OFFINABUS. It's an arsehole comment from somebody who's (as ever) trying to wind the ref up or undermine him. That's all. Why do an Extraordinary Incident Report just because the guy who said it was black and the ref was white? Don't pander to that PC hysteria. It belongs outside sport.

Put the red on Whole Game and then forget all about somebody with a chip on his shoulder. :cool:

Sure, a straight red for OFFINABUS. It's an arsehole comment from somebody who's (as ever) trying to wind the ref up or undermine him. That's all. Why do an Extraordinary Incident Report just because the guy who said it was black and the ref was white? Don't pander to that PC hysteria. It belongs outside sport.

Put the red on Whole Game and then forget all about somebody with a chip on his shoulder. :cool:

Of course might be different elsewhere, but here, it would be essential to report it further, we have equality guidelines in place, covering all levels, and its mandatory to escalate it.
Its a definate extraordinary report in Scotland. The ref would be hauled over the coals for not doing so.

Of course might be different elsewhere, but here, it would be essential to report it further, we have equality guidelines in place, covering all levels, and its mandatory to escalate it.
Its a definate extraordinary report in Scotland. The ref would be hauled over the coals for not doing so.
This. It's better to let the FA decide whether to progress it further than the referee in my opinion. At the very least you're covering your own back

He did then confront me again after the game asking whether I went to chat to the other team afterwards and not his team because he’s black...

(In reality it was because they were the home team and I wanted my match fee)

Yeah I get the arse-covering concept but that's why I despair of society today.

Fact is, it'll only become an issue if the guy appeals it.

The whole "Ooh no, somebody's mentioned skin colour - horror of horrors!!" default panic and hand-wringing reaction that it invokes still sickens me though.

The whole "Ooh no, somebody's mentioned skin colour - horror of horrors!!" default panic and hand-wringing reaction that it invokes still sickens me though.
I'll join you in the Anti-PC-Hysteria Society

He did then confront me again after the game asking whether I went to chat to the other team afterwards and not his team because he’s black...

(In reality it was because they were the home team and I wanted my match fee)

Then he's a double-bell-end!! :eek:

Maybe the after-match exchange is reason to report it then in which case I retract my original post advice but it sounds as if it was only him who had the problem (that being the colour of your skin rather than his). :hmmm:

Its written into our guidelines here that we report it, we dont get a say or option on it.
All the current buzzwords, race, sexuality, gender etc, must be escalated
If we were found not to, its us who the questions are asked of.
Just waiting for fat/skinny, bald/ginger and speccy to be added to the list and we have a full house!

This isn't a case of mentioning skin colour being a problem, this is a case of a player suggested that a referee has sent him off because of his skin colour, and followed up the accusation by suggesting the referee didn't talk to them after because of their skin colour. Those sort of comments can be damaging to a persons reputation both on and off the field because he's basically proclaimed to the 21+ people watching on that the referee is a racist. It's bigger than 'PC gone mad'

This isn't a case of mentioning skin colour being a problem, this is a case of a player suggested that a referee has sent him off because of his skin colour, and followed up the accusation by suggesting the referee didn't talk to them after because of their skin colour. Those sort of comments can be damaging to a persons reputation both on and off the field because he's basically proclaimed to the 21+ people watching on that the referee is a racist. It's bigger than 'PC gone mad'

No it isn't Paul.

You're inserting presumption into the scenario that has neither been said nor proven.

The OP hasn't mentioned the player suggesting the red card was brandished because he was black. Nor do we see any evidence that he proclaimed any racist behaviour on the part of the OP to anybody else after the match when they spoke.

The guy was dismissed for an OFFINABUS remark and then went and spoke to the referee afterwards with his chip on his shoulder.

There's no "damage to reputations" or anything else evident here. The place wasn't filled with spectators and the media weren't there either. :rolleyes:

Sure, if the guy appeals his card (on what grounds he possibly could defeats me though) then a further report done by the ref will go some way to explaining the intricacies of what took place but that's as complicated (or hysterical) as it needs to get.

It's not "big" at all. :cool:

My Anti-PC-Hysteria Society membership was really just based on the OP
If there's more meat on the bone, I may have to end my subscription
Shame that some individuals automatically assume prejudice for no good reason; and then tarnish the reputation of normal folk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back