A&H

ARS v LEI

Of course there is. For starters, just look at any one of the absolute plethora of paradinha penalties that led to this being adopted in the first place.

Here's a classic example from Neymar, one of its main proponents.

This is illustrating my point.
The effect of Lacazette (?) feinting during his run up was to make the GK dive early. That's what happened.
You can nit-pick about which step it was or whether it was at the end or not... but the action and outcome are the same, That's why the law is soooo daft.
IMHO of course ;)

The Referee Store
Lots more here. It became a trend in Brazil and was becoming even more popular. The new law was specifically in response to this trend.

...and you could make the same video of hundreds of penalties with the "giant hover penultimate step" or the "pause in the penultimate step" which are essentially doing the same thing and getting the same outcome.

Guys, the law is an ass on this one. It's like the handball law, a sticking plaster on one part of a very leaky sieve.

I think it was a clear and obvious error once you (finally) got to see the right angle. If they'd shown that one first I don't think there would be a debate.
That for me suggests the opposite for clear and obvious. If you can only see the handball clearly from one angle and it's the angle behind the goal, the opposite side to the referee, how can that be a clear and obvious error?

That for me suggests the opposite for clear and obvious. If you can only see the handball clearly from one angle and it's the angle behind the goal, the opposite side to the referee, how can that be a clear and obvious error?
A missed penalty is a serious missed incident, it doesn't have to meet the clear and obvious.

The effect of Lacazette (?) feinting during his run up was to make the GK dive early. That's what happened.
You can nit-pick about which step it was or whether it was at the end or not... but the action and outcome are the same, That's why the law is soooo daft.
IMHO of course ;)

Feinting is part of the game. The GK has restrictions until the ball is kicked. That is why a feint at the kick point is more problematic than one before. The line has to be somewhere.

Because (IMO) it's clearly a handball offence. That's not necessarily saying that the referee could have seen it from their position, but I think most people would agree that it's obviously wrong for it to not be a penalty. Having to factor in the officials' positions when VAR is reviewing something to decide whether they would have been able to see it or not would be farcical.

A missed penalty is a serious missed incident, it doesn't have to meet the clear and obvious.
I'm not quite sure why it makes a distinction between 'clear and obvious error' and 'serious missed incident', given that it twice states elsewhere in the VAR protocols "The original decision given by the referee will not be changed unless the video review clearly shows that the decision was a 'clear and obvious error'.", and "The referee's original decision will not be changed unless there was a 'clear and obvious error'".

Feinting is part of the game. The GK has restrictions until the ball is kicked. That is why a feint at the kick point is more problematic than one before. The line has to be somewhere.
Straw man isn’t it?

OK, I’ll play… the GK can quite happily feint right, left, up, down, forward, back, do a somersault at any time before or after the ball is kicked.

“There has to…” no, there doesn’t :)

or if there is a line, make it an effing line not a smokescreen!

Because (IMO) it's clearly a handball offence. That's not necessarily saying that the referee could have seen it from their position, but I think most people would agree that it's obviously wrong for it to not be a penalty. Having to factor in the officials' positions when VAR is reviewing something to decide whether they would have been able to see it or not would be farcical.

I'm not quite sure why it makes a distinction between 'clear and obvious error' and 'serious missed incident', given that it twice states elsewhere in the VAR protocols "The original decision given by the referee will not be changed unless the video review clearly shows that the decision was a 'clear and obvious error'.", and "The referee's original decision will not be changed unless there was a 'clear and obvious error'".
I suppose it also depends on what the definition of clear and obvious error actually means.
Does it mean the referee couldn't have seen it so that's fine or is it that the decision is clearly wrong not to award. This case is both, very difficult for referee to see in real time but a definite handball offence so I think, at least with handball once there is video proof that a handball offence occurred it becomes clearly and obviously wrong not to award a penalty for it.

IMHO of course ;)
Disagree. Keepers don't dive or even move to a direction untill the run up is complete. That is, the non kicking foot is planted and the kicking foot is in motion. If they dive any earlier than that then that's just bad keeping. It gives too much time to the kicker to decide to kick the opposite direction. This is with or without the pause in the second last step.

This image is the moment Schmeicel decides which way to dive which is a step after the pause.
Screenshot_20220315-082123__01.jpg

Disagree. Keeper don't dive or even move to a direction untill the run up is complete. That is, the non kicking foot is planted and the kicking foot is in motion. If they dive any earlier than that then that's just bad keeping. It gives too much time to the kicker to decide to kick the opposite direction. This is with or without the pause in the second last step.

This image is the moment Schmeicel decides which way to dive which is a step after the pause.
View attachment 5516
“Keepers don't dive or even move to a direction untill the run up is complete.”
😂😂😂

“Keepers don't dive or even move to a direction untill the run up is complete.”
😂😂😂
Not sure what this means but if you think it is an incorrect statement happy to see some evidence. Similar to the image I provided that supports my statement.

Straw man isn’t it?

OK, I’ll play… the GK can quite happily feint right, left, up, down, forward, back, do a somersault at any time before or after the ball is kicked.

“There has to…” no, there doesn’t :)

or if there is a line, make it an effing line not a smokescreen!
Straw man? No, not at all. I’m not arguing for a line, I’m explaining it where it came from. As others have said, until relatively recently, you could feint at the ball. The change was made to stop a very specific act. You want to disallow more feintingthan IFAB does, of course you’re entitled to that opinion. But neither your opinion nor mine is going to change what IFAB does.

Not sure what this means but if you think it is an incorrect statement happy to see some evidence. Similar to the image I provided that supports my statement.
M8 what you wrote is ridonculous. Of course keepers move about before the ball is kicked.

Its maybe worth a thread of its own but surely the pen kicker should have carte blanche to do what they wish in or after the run up, same as they would on open play say one on one, and dink the ball cheekily over the gk

Attacking team fouled on pen spot, yet, from the resultant award of restoring the parity we restrict the attackers options and give ths gk less variables to deal with?

Surely having been given the gift of a pk, it should be up to the gift holder as to what to do witn it

its almost like giving the gk extra chances to save, when, the onus should be on benefitting the offfended team

M8 what you wrote is ridonculous. Of course keepers move about before the ball is kicked.
Of course they do that but that's not what I said is it? There is a big difference between moving about and going for a direction of save or diving. And the whole debate is about the difference between 'before the ball is kicked' (after completing run up) and before completing run up. The devil is in the details.

Its maybe worth a thread of its own but surely the pen kicker should have carte blanche to do what they wish in or after the run up, same as they would on open play say one on one, and dink the ball cheekily over the gk

Attacking team fouled on pen spot, yet, from the resultant award of restoring the parity we restrict the attackers options and give ths gk less variables to deal with?

Surely having been given the gift of a pk, it should be up to the gift holder as to what to do witn it

its almost like giving the gk extra chances to save, when, the onus should be on benefitting the offfended team
Yes, I would be happier with “anything goes”

Why bother with the charade of a spot kick then, if the whole point is to just get a goal scored and get on with the game? Just award a penalty goal and avoid all the complicated scenarios involved in having to give YC's and retakes for encroachment.

Back