A&H

Arse New

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Lots of cards!

Two blatant holding yellows.

Madely is in trouble here as this is not consistent with recent matches.

Almeiron’s was soft and exactly what has not been given recently.

What about 39 mins Newcastle assistant coach - what’s the sanction for delaying the opposition restart?

The Referee Store
If Webb has said to get back to normal, then I’m fine. But right now it still looks like a different foul and card line.

Wilson and Xhaka’s cards easy enough. Joelinton’a too. But Odegard’s also seemed soft but had to be given after the Almeiron one. Again, go back a year and they were both textbook blatant holding. But based on the last matches I’ve watched no wonder the players/fans don’t know what to expect.

If Webb has said to get back to normal, then I’m fine. But right now it still looks like a different foul and card line.

Wilson and Xhaka’s cards easy enough. Joelinton’a too. But Odegard’s also seemed soft but had to be given after the Almeiron one. Again, go back a year and they were both textbook blatant holding. But based on the last matches I’ve watched no wonder the players/fans don’t know what to expect.
Odegaard almost took the shirt off the opponent's back, and then hacked him down, no way was that soft. Hard to say any of the cards have been wrong, and I think Madley realised it was getting a bit out of hand and held off on giving a couple of cautions that he might otherwise have given.

The only caution I'd argue against was the first. Easily gets away with a warning. After that they were all nailed on. Good to see he's learned from Evertons time wasting at the weekend, letting the coach go with no warning ag all when he threw the ball away to stop a quick throw

Stopping play to restart a dropped ball for no reason?

cards could have been avoided in first half for me. Wilsons and the two holding offences only one’s probably had to have

i think hes having a bit of a mare here. Early yellows for marginal reasons has raised the temprature, with players in his face at every decision.

I was a bit worried for Andy Madley, it looked like he was in real danger of losing control, but to his credit he didn't and even managed to keep a smile on his face. That was a tough game and overall he refereed it well.

Something needs to be done about Arteta. Aside from the fact he spends almost the whole game outside of his TA, he then repeatedly keeps charging towards the 4th official screaming at him waving his arms around. He's probably the worst of the Premier League managers at the moment, please Howard Webb just give the officials the mandate to deal with it.

I thought the ref had a great game. The caution for Joelinton was probably wrong. (And I'm an Arsenal fan.)

Great to see a caution for failing to respect the required distance (twice). Very disappointing to hear Gary Neville criticise the decision.

Edit: I agree Arteta's behaviour is ridiculous and should be sanctioned.

I was a bit worried for Andy Madley, it looked like he was in real danger of losing control, but to his credit he didn't and even managed to keep a smile on his face. That was a tough game and overall he refereed it well.

Something needs to be done about Arteta. Aside from the fact he spends almost the whole game outside of his TA, he then repeatedly keeps charging towards the 4th official screaming at him waving his arms around. He's probably the worst of the Premier League managers at the moment, please Howard Webb just give the officials the mandate to deal with it.
Agree, think he did well to keep it under control, especially in the second half.

Also completely agree about Arteta. I remember Marsch got a red and some yellows for what seemed like a lot less than this - I wouldn't have minded if it was consistent. In fact, I think it was positive to see Marsch's behaviour punished, however, I can't remember seeing similar behaviour punished consistently since. This was sprinting out of his TA to confront the 4th/opposition manager. Not sure how he gets away with it so often! Only thing I can think of is that he's so animated that by going over and cautioning/sending off, it could negatively impact match control maybe?

Think Santa and my threads crossed as probably posting at the same time ...

I mentioned on here recently about Arteta's behaviour on the touchline and his steadfast refusal to stay in his area and it was dismissed as not an issue, think this game clearly showed it is. No way he should have ended this game without a card waved in his direction.

Players didn't do the officials any favours, especially in the first half, with the play acting at the slightest hint of contact and trying to pressure for opponents to get cards. Xhaka's Neymaresque roll after a challenge by Almiron was beyond ridiculous.

Almiron's yellow for failing to respect the distance at an Arsenal free kick looked harsh, especially considering what referees ignore on a weekly basis.

There was a clear preventing the keeper from releasing the ball incident by an Arsenal player, who moved several times across Nick Pope's path to stop a quick release during the 2nd half, that was either not spotted or ignored.

Ref did well to come through an uncomfortable experience.
Arteta creaking
It resonated with me, been through a lot of games where you caution early like that and then are fearful of the outcome. Even as a Premier League referee Andy Madley would have been very worried in that first half and start of the second half as it was very clearly getting away from him. He did extremely well to keep it under control.

Simple, book him like he should of booked Tindall for deliberately throwing the ball away, most foreign refs would of issued yellow cards to the both of them but our refs are too soft on dissent like that so it's just keeps on happening.

I thought only 5 mins added on was far too short also.

I thought Madley handled it well overall though, was a tough game with both teams at times making life tough for him.

Simple, book him like he should of booked Tindall for deliberately throwing the ball away, most foreign refs would of issued yellow cards to the both of them but our refs are too soft on dissent like that so it's just keeps on happening.
That only works if they are backed by their bosses, and for decades they have been told to ignore dissent. Not just at top level but right down to semi-pro football. Might change with a new broom at the top, but I won't hold my breath.

Back