A&H

Arsenal-Newcastle

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
In real time that Smith-Rowe challenge looked nasty.

While the review clearly showed it wasn’t as bad as first view, I’m not buying Danny Murphy’s s——e punditry “He’s panicked because of the players scream”

The Referee Store
Thought it was red, based on point of contact, think the slow mo made the force look low, and I thought it was a poor challenge.
Danny Murphy is a terrible pundit.

Any 'initial reaction' was born out of Sean Longstaff's cheating
I don't think the MO's brought their 'A game' to the party. Even the normally flawless Massey-Ellis dropped a few marks!
The Mags played quite well. I won't be losing any sleep the neet

What's the amount of contact got to do with it? It's down to luck there wasn't more contact.

However his weight was going backwards, no force in the challenge. Good example of why buzz words like 'studs up', 'straight leg' need to be properly interpreted not just used as tick boxes.

Was there even contact? The replays shown aren't very clear as to whether there was or not.
He tried to nick it away from the player while off balance, so no force or anything to make it worthy of a red.
Can see why ref gave red, he was miles away and heard him scream.

What's the amount of contact got to do with it? It's down to luck there wasn't more contact.

However his weight was going backwards, no force in the challenge. Good example of why buzz words like 'studs up', 'straight leg' need to be properly interpreted not just used as tick boxes

The lack of contact decreases the likelihood of a red. Contact, especially point of contact is a consideration. Top of the foot, shin, higher up etc are all points on a sliding scale for assessing the correct sanction. A non contact, or low contact challenge is less likely to endanger an opponents safety than one that does make more forceful contact.

Once that’s checked off other factors like degree/lack of control, speed, come into play.

Agreed with those who says the red should of been downgraded to a yellow but its a bit borderline however the scream from Longstaff was ridiculas and can see why people may of thought the ref was influenced by that.

Was there even contact? The replays shown aren't very clear as to whether there was or not.
He tried to nick it away from the player while off balance, so no force or anything to make it worthy of a red.
Can see why ref gave red, he was miles away and heard him scream.
Think so, though it wasn't a completely "studs up" contact. Watching it again on MOTD the ref's view may have been obscured by an Arsenal player, as he didn't get a card out straight away, so the AR or 4O probably advised him. Smith Rowe having both feet off the ground at one point made it look worse than it actually was.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-09 BBC iPlayer - Watch BBC One Scotland live.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-09 BBC iPlayer - Watch BBC One Scotland live.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
My reaction on first viewing was red because it looked like he had jumped into the challenge with two feet, took one replay to show that the tackle was nowhere near as bad as I had first thought! Clearly not excessive force or endangering the opponent's safety.

My reaction on first viewing was red because it looked like he had jumped into the challenge with two feet, took one replay to show that the tackle was nowhere near as bad as I had first thought! Clearly not excessive force or endangering the opponent's safety.
This challenge is being praised for it being downgraded to yellow, because Longstaff was a split second slower, when Dasilva during the week had possession of the ball, tried to do a bit of skill and at the same time slipped and made contact with Hojbjerg (it was bad) and got a red card with every slamming Dasilva for a dangerous challenge.

Dasilva slips, makes contact and its dangerous.
Smith-Rowe overhits his control, falls back and at one point both feet of the floor trying to rescue the ball clips Longstaff.
Only Longstaff will know the actual contact and the pain it caused but I can't see any difference in these two.

Smith-Rowe lets the ball go and reacts to try keep it by overstretching, both feet of the floor whilst trying to swipe the ball (has no control of his body at this point) and catching Longstaff. Dasilva successfully flicked the ball away from Hojbjerg, slips and catches him. One is a yellow, one is a red?

Can definitely tell refereeing decisions are subjective and no two refs will seemingly agree on decisions.

For the record, I'd have stuck with red for Smith-Rowe.

This challenge is being praised for it being downgraded to yellow, because Longstaff was a split second slower, when Dasilva during the week had possession of the ball, tried to do a bit of skill and at the same time slipped and made contact with Hojbjerg (it was bad) and got a red card with every slamming Dasilva for a dangerous challenge.

Dasilva slips, makes contact and its dangerous.
Smith-Rowe overhits his control, falls back and at one point both feet of the floor trying to rescue the ball clips Longstaff.
Only Longstaff will know the actual contact and the pain it caused but I can't see any difference in these two.

Smith-Rowe lets the ball go and reacts to try keep it by overstretching, both feet of the floor whilst trying to swipe the ball (has no control of his body at this point) and catching Longstaff. Dasilva successfully flicked the ball away from Hojbjerg, slips and catches him. One is a yellow, one is a red?

Can definitely tell refereeing decisions are subjective and no two refs will seemingly agree on decisions.

For the record, I'd have stuck with red for Smith-Rowe.
Both challenges for me and massively different.
33E6845B-ADC9-4C4E-BE0E-30FE2D6A27B0.jpeg
Full studs contact to shin.
ESWs tackle has studs down to the ground and the side of his foot barely touches the Newcastle player. Can’t get a good photo of it to compare. Never a red for me

I think I accept that the opinion of those that don't say red, as much as Im probably in disagreement and feel it was a red card challenge. I feel the slow mo replays take away from how poor it is, but I think I am in the minority of that opinion.
But it takes me back to same old debate. What is clear and obvious. Was this red card clearly and obviously wrong. I don't think it was. I could accept people's opinion that it was wrong, but clearly and obviously, it was not.
Then the pen shout for Arsenal, Clarke trip on Aubameyang, that is a penalty all day long. How was that not reviewed?
The solution for me is to broadcast the conversation between ref and VAR.

I with you on the penalty shout. No idea why it wasn’t given.
It was a PK. Nobody knows what C&O has to do with it anymore. Just random as to whether VAR gets involved. Given that VAR re-referees most things, I expected CK to be 'sent' to the monitor. Subjectivity will undermine VAR until the Sun engulfs the Earth

Both challenges for me and massively different.
View attachment 4741
Full studs contact to shin.
ESWs tackle has studs down to the ground and the side of his foot barely touches the Newcastle player. Can’t get a good photo of it to compare. Never a red for me
So because Longstaff was a split second later, its fine? And I disagree with it being studs down.
Smith-Rowe.png

Back