A&H

Assistant Referee Feedback

And given that this signal was removed from use in England 7 years ago, it’s not exactly relevant anyway!

correct, summing up my point, there is no requirement to ever do this signal
be as well doing the Hokey Cokey

The Referee Store
just be wary though that proximity whilst majority of time will be key, its not set in stone.
one of the best AR calls I saw was an AR flagging to inform ref of a red card tackle in the right back position, ball cleared by defender, ref followed ball, striker clattered defender, so 55/60 yards away, AR was the one to call it.
other AR looking along offside line, it was left to the furthest away AR to get involved.

Yes, it is a general rule of thumb, there will always be occasions where the AR needs to get involved in areas that would normally be well outside of their credible areas.

I guess trying to learn here, how to ‘get involved’ versus upsetting the ref, by getting involved!

If you're new on the line, then ask questions during/after the pre-match brief.

I always do, especially when assigned with a new referee that I haven't lined for before. I'll ask them what the procedure is, do they want me getting involved etc. You meet some strange characters along the way, some of them just want you to run the line and stay out of their business, others want you waving the flag religiously, making as many calls as you like.

In mass confrontation situations, the usual advice I've been told is similar to what's already been posted; take two steps on the field, but that's useless when you're already on the field to deal with the mass con. In that scenario, I would expect a referee to walk round and chat to each assistant (or get the thumbs up) before moving on. Just me though.

A fairly unusual instruction I got recently, but thought it quite clever, was if I thought GK moved before a penalty save, to just stay where I was. That way no one blames me (The AR) and think its the ref's call.

Obviously if I'm happy with the save, I just get back in position asap.

Sorry to change the direction of the post, but this has reminded me of an issue I've often wondered about when I've been the AR at the end where a penalty has been given. How do you get back to position correctly if the penalty is missed? Run backwards (so you're still facing play) and run around the corner flag so you're not on the field of play? What technique is supposed to be used?

Never really taken notice of the AR retreating after a missed pen during any game I've watched or played and it only ever occurs to me once a pen is awarded that I'm not sure how I'm expected to get back to a normal position if its missed and the ball stays in play?

My sense has always been that you do what works in the moment based on what's happening in front of you. Do you need to be ready for a possible OS call on the rebound play? Or are you just getting up field because the ball is being cleared? And obviously, if the ball is coming at you get out of the way! I'd be curious if anyone has heard anything official or official-ish on this--I don't recall ever seeing anything.

Back pedal as quickly as you can, trying to keep an eye on the second last defender. More often that not the play either rebounds up the other end or a goal is scored / chance is missed. It will be rare that play will stay active down your end for long, but you need to be alert for any possible offsides or goal line decisions.

Sorry to change the direction of the post, but this has reminded me of an issue I've often wondered about when I've been the AR at the end where a penalty has been given. How do you get back to position correctly if the penalty is missed? Run backwards (so you're still facing play) and run around the corner flag so you're not on the field of play? What technique is supposed to be used?

Never really taken notice of the AR retreating after a missed pen during any game I've watched or played and it only ever occurs to me once a pen is awarded that I'm not sure how I'm expected to get back to a normal position if its missed and the ball stays in play?
Take a short-cut
Trigonometry. If anyone questions your actions, shout 'SOHCAHTOA' ;)

Hopefully you'll have a ref that is switched on to and helps with offside if needed.
But as Rusty says its rare much ever happens in the immediate aftermath.usually ball cleared, out of play ie GK, corner, or goal or other stoppage.
Most important thing is to maintain a view on play and get back to position ASAP

I've even had the occasional referee in a pre match briefing say that the aftermath of a penalty is the only situation where they will take over sole charge of offside until the AR is back in position ...

A fairly unusual instruction I got recently, but thought it quite clever, was if I thought GK moved before a penalty save, to just stay where I was. That way no one blames me (The AR) and think its the ref's call.

Obviously if I'm happy with the save, I just get back in position asap.
That's not that new, I used in the 90's. Also applied to goals - if the AR thought anything was wrong with a goal was to stand still, not move up the touchline.

Does work well at local football level.

- if the AR thought anything was wrong with a goal was to stand still, not move up the touchline.
This one is so entrenched in the US, that I thought it was in the magic book. (I just looked and didn't find it--must have been in the now-defunct USSF Guide to Procedures.) It's a very effective signal, as the R knows with just a glance there is an issue before he signals for a KO.

Thoughts...

In my training, I was taught that correct calls are wanted and the first call is the most important.

As an AR, I've been told by centers that all fouls are theirs. It is what it is.

For me, I tell my ARs, you're licensed and earned your place. I trust you to assist. Call it. I'd rather make the right call than miss it and have your flag down when you know I need it. Confidence building is good for new ARs. Do you need me close or give you room?

I've had ARs tell me later what they saw but figured I was letting it go. I get this from those told to leave to the center. Its frustrating. I want the assistance so the game is called correctly. That is what the 'A' is for.

I learned the hard way by missing a handball in the 18 and an opponent's touch on a passback, but my AR saw both but received the excuse of centers know all.

As for PK, if the keeper moved, I don't move as the AR. I wait. If the goal is scored or denied at first but followup scores, no need to signal. Otherwise, I use the skirt. If its entering prematurely, its a flag raise and wave.

Fouls in the PA, centers tell me two ways, signal and skirt or signal and move to corner and to PA.

As for retreat on a missed goal, back steps to touchline. Keep with ball or 2nd defenseman. If the ball is heading away and defenders are moving fast away, turn and put flag in right hand and run and get into position, but get to that touchline so I'm off the field in case it comes back.

Its embarrassing to be the AR, in the field of play, and the ball plunks you.

As a center, discuss in pregame. If AR, ask in pregame. I dont like surprises.

For me, I tell my ARs, you're licensed and earned your place. I trust you to assist. Call it.

Same. I like games where I'm on the line and this is one of the given instructions, I know I can get involved and work as a team.

I don't like running the line for referees that take over everything, there's no freedom to join in, it feels like I can't contribute and in rare cases can be bad enough I'd prefer to be in the middle on a lower level game. But, give me a referee who lets me join in and makes me feel like a great assistant and I'll run the line for him every day tbh. :)

Back