A&H

Bracknell Town v Reading

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Not exactly a tv fixture but was live on Facebook through Bracknells local town football page (not directly affiliated to the club)...

Bit of a clash here and would love to know why the ref agreed to it...

Apparently he was said to be unhappy before the game and said he was not changing, quite rightly, as the rules for the competition state the ref wears black and teams must not wear black or very dark shirts.

It wasn't a park football game either. Was a senior county cup match.

FB_IMG_1543417617192.jpgFB_IMG_1543418264505.jpg

The Referee Store
Nonsense by the refereeing team, I mean this, as AR, I would have refused to participate, as I too need to see my referee
end of day, LOTG trump league rules, something has to give here, common sense would be the ref team as there is only 3 of them...

Ultimately, if the league rules do say teams cant wear black/very dark shirts in the OP, then, don't play the game ! Ref is now responsible for not only clashing but allowing a team to play in colours contrary to regulations! Double whammy, mess it up on 2 counts instead of 1 !!!

the referee team need a shave too

Last edited:
It happens all the time.

At least when it happened to me this season we (team of 3) stood up for ourselves and 1 team eventually, after much moaning, used borrowed shirts offered - we did kick off 20 mins late though. It was a women's oa level 4 game.

How can you run the line if you cant pick out your referee?
Nobody ever heard of keeping easy things simple?
Even have ref in yellow and 2 linos in black if it came to it.....afterall a ref looking at his lino least has a rough idea where you will be

bit of savvy needed here, thinking out the box... or even, common sense

It happens all the time.

At least when it happened to me this season we (team of 3) stood up for ourselves and 1 team eventually, after much moaning, used borrowed shirts offered - we did kick off 20 mins late though. It was a women's oa level 4 game.

How can it happen? Communication? General awareness of what team wears what? Surely ref gets the Weds courtesy text from home team if you were in doubt, you reply "remind me what colour you are again?" and think ahead?

fail to prepare....prepare to fail. no reason in the whole planet why 2 teams would clash or a referee/referee team clashing with a team.

How can it happen? Communication? General awareness of what team wears what? Surely ref gets the Weds courtesy text from home team if you were in doubt, you reply "remind me what colour you are again?" and think ahead?

fail to prepare....prepare to fail. no reason in the whole planet why 2 teams would clash or a referee/referee team clashing with a team.
Tbf if your game is reading you gunna assume they will wear blue and white seeing as Bracknell are in red with no clash.

Indeed but we know the assume saying.....

quick reply to the email/text "guys what colours you planning to wear"

proactive, not reactive

Indeed but we know the assume saying.....

quick reply to the email/text "guys what colours you planning to wear"

proactive, not reactive
Agreed.

But match confirmation would be from Bracknell Town secretary as thry are the home team..

Agreed.

But match confirmation would be from Bracknell Town secretary as thry are the home team..

Yes and surely they will have checked colours with Reading b4 contacting you, "hi ref, Bracknell here, confirming game is 3pm Sat, do you know where you are going? We play in red, reading will be in blue (or in this case black), see you then"
Teams do speak to each other, Bracknell would know Reading are black and in turn have their gk with something other than black avail (if he indeed wore black)

adult, detailed and straightforward enough.

ok I carry about 6 cololurs anyway, 3 whole kits if needed but if the above failed, in my head, I would be prepared, I would know Reading are blue but also know from handbook, internet or past exp that they might be in black. Am starting to prepare for my game as soon as I know what game I have.....

Ultimately, if the league rules do say teams cant wear black/very dark shirts in the OP, then, don't play the game ! Ref is now responsible for not only clashing but allowing a team to play in colours contrary to regulations! Double whammy, mess it up on 2 counts instead of 1 !!!

Yeah, this was raised last month in my county. One youth team play in predominantly black, and because referees have been inconsistent about applying the 'no black kit' rule, they're a bit frustrated as to which way they can go...

So... we get the warning to apply the rule. :wall: But really, I think the blame lays at the feet of the club, because it's in the county (and league) rules that they can't wear black, so why are they registering with a black kit? And why are leagues permitting them to enter with a black kit? And then expect the referee to deal with it?

Doesn't seem right to me.

From what you type, the league have to take responsibility, or it will take a referee strong enough to say no sorry, its here in (funny enough black and white) that you cant wear this, so, if you were planning on wearing it, there will be no game.
As long as ref's are happy, (well not quite happy I guess, but willing) to play the game, then nothing will change.

I posted last week about 2 teams in blue and I said I would also go out in blue just to blend in, I very much doubt this is the rationale used by this referee in the OP so, am not being contradictory this week when I say, simply refuse to play (unless of course they change).

4 refs in a row say no thanks, the team will soon find a new kit? Or, the league will amend its rules. But to do nothing, well, nothing will be done.

A lot of teams mislead the league by declaring colours but forgetting that the back is a plain black shirt (they'll mention white and black stripes or something and forget the back is plain)..

A lot of teams mislead the league by declaring colours but forgetting that the back is a plain black shirt (they'll mention white and black stripes or something and forget the back is plain)..

So you take a picture of offending kit, email it to league and let them decide if its allowed. If the league say yes, then you inform league its too close to your black and you are seeking permission (shambles its even needed) to wear a colour other than black.
Problem solved.

So you take a picture of offending kit, email it to league and let them decide if its allowed. If the league say yes, then you inform league its too close to your black and you are seeking permission (shambles its even needed) to wear a colour other than black.
Problem solved.
Thats not a league decision here.. but a county one.

Problem solved.

That's actually the proposed solution! :D A photo to the league sec to administer from next season on. Hopefully that ends the issue in the league, dunno about the rest of the county tho.

That's actually the proposed solution! :D A photo to the league sec to administer from next season on. Hopefully that ends the issue in the league, dunno about the rest of the county tho.

Well you don't need a footballing brain to come up with an idea like that, surely its just common sense!

Genius, that’s the suggestion box money bonus claimed! 😂

We didn't get details of away team colours - away team knew what home team were wearing but still turned up in similar kit. Ref refused to play in kits as they were. Comp rules said away team change, but they didn't have a change strip. Home team refused to change but offered away team a spare kit - eventually away team agreed to wear that but only after acting like 8 year olds for about an hour - hence the late kick off!

We didn't get details of away team colours - away team knew what home team were wearing but still turned up in similar kit. Ref refused to play in kits as they were. Comp rules said away team change, but they didn't have a change strip. Home team refused to change but offered away team a spare kit - eventually away team agreed to wear that but only after acting like 8 year olds for about an hour - hence the late kick off!

Sounds farcical, ref team would be justified waiting 15 mins max then going up the road and leaving a committee to decide what happens next

Back