A&H

Brentford V Bournemouth

Would anyone be reaching for a 2nd yellow for the keeper?
Ref clearly thinks they've been wasting time with the 6 added minutes....

The Referee Store
Can I add I think Gillet is the best ref outside the prem.
He’s definitely backing up that argument. I believe Warnock has mentioned on several occasions after Boro games that ‘the Australian fella’ is the best in the division.

What a half of football. I think Jared Gillett has been absolutely superb, he is keeping a calm head when everyone around him are losing theirs. There's an argument there should have been a second Brentford penalty, but that would have been incredibly difficult to spot real time.

What a half of football. I think Jared Gillett has been absolutely superb, he is keeping a calm head when everyone around him are losing theirs. There's an argument there should have been a second Brentford penalty, but that would have been incredibly difficult to spot real time.
He is. I just hope he is recognising it.
If this were my game, or I were watching a referee at my level I'd be wanting to see him doing something to get on top of it. For me he is letting one or two fouls go that might just take some of the bite out of this one.
However, it's a play off semi, so if he gets to the end without major incident I'll say it worked. Howvere if it continues going south, then it's written here 😊
For what it's worth, it think it's his style the only other time. I have seen him was Rotherham V weds at NY stadium and thought the same then if I recall correctly.

Holy moly! Was just sitting there thinking no way this is finishing 11v11 and boom, defensive error leads to a nailed on dogso red.

Ref has done incredibly well so far, doing his best to keep a lid on a game that could spontaneously combust at any moment.

Watched a lot of Brentford games from the late 80's to early 2000's due to Bees supporting friends and have lived in Bournemouth for the past 14 years, so sort of have a soft spot for both sides. Bournemouth need to get a grip or they could easily finish the game with 9 or 8 players!

Anyone else getting progressively irritated by Franks constant watch tapping? I feel like it’s getting to boderline dissent now

It's irritating I agree but I dont feel it would be bothering me on the field.
I do think the massively slowing the game down/time wasting has been a problem from very early on and not been dealt with efficiently.

Things you thought you’d never see.

A goalkeeper flagged offside! And correctly too 🤣

Brentford deserved that over the 2 legs as well. Fantastic game

Gillett looks like a sportsperson, has the look of an elite referee, has good body language and is the perfect age. I'd almost go as far as to say, 'he has a bit of individuality'. That's largely before the EPL/PGMOL sets about remoulding him

Last edited:
I’ve been surprised that Gillett hasn’t had a trial whistle on some mid table PL game this year. He’s good-really good. As @Big Cat said, his mannerisms and demeanor just scream “I can handle big matches and moments.”

He is. I just hope he is recognising it.
If this were my game, or I were watching a referee at my level I'd be wanting to see him doing something to get on top of it. For me he is letting one or two fouls go that might just take some of the bite out of this one.
However, it's a play off semi, so if he gets to the end without major incident I'll say it worked. Howvere if it continues going south, then it's written here 😊
For what it's worth, it think it's his style the only other time. I have seen him was Rotherham V weds at NY stadium and thought the same then if I recall correctly.

I have no doubt that some of the SG2 referees would have absolutely smothered this game in the first half by giving free kicks for the slightest bit of contact. Jared Gillett needs enormous credit by keeping full control of it without having to resort to that.

I'm often despairing about the overall standard of refereeing, so it's great to see a top notch display in a challenging game. The Sunderland Lincoln playoff was also really well refereed. EPL whistle blowers... take note

Back