A&H

Brighton v United

The Referee Store
I was fully expecting “last kick” and no players entering the box.

This must be something the EPL refs have been briefed on.

Ball closer to the middle; players away for amped up fans…

I can see a safety angle on this.

Plus it avoids the inevitable uproar if the penalty is saved and a rebound disallowed, which correct in law would cause no end of grief for all involved.

Are we not effectively "rewinding" the game to the point of the handball? Even if only a few seconds, the time between HB and FT should be played from the moment the penalty is kicked, which means you probably would have a kick off, unless the game was already being extended for the corner?
Nothing in the Laws says a PK takes zero time. While allowance should be made for excess time consumed by the taking of the restart, strictly by the Laws, if there were say 10-15 seconds left when the PK was called, more than that is reasonably consumed in getting set up and it should be the final action. That said, I see the logic of managing a game by adding more than is really required so that there is a KO or a rebound play.

The law doesn't view it this way, it would be a yellow anywhere else in the World. Interestingly one of the offences a UEFA committee wanted to get rid of.
The law views it exactly that way, it is absolutely crystal clear that if you play advantage for an SPA foul you cannot go back and caution. Don't really care what other countries are doing, perhaps, just perhaps, for once England are the ones doing it correctly.

Yes you are right if it’s an SPA. Is that still the case for a more serious foul though? Like a reckless or even serious foul play (dangerous)?

Yes you are right if it’s an SPA. Is that still the case for a more serious foul though? Like a reckless or even serious foul play (dangerous)?

I've never seen a reckless hand ball! :D

But, of course, you are right that the SPA "relief" only applies to a caution for SPA, not any other caution.

The law views it exactly that way, it is absolutely crystal clear that if you play advantage for an SPA foul you cannot go back and caution. Don't really care what other countries are doing, perhaps, just perhaps, for once England are the ones doing it correctly.
Was discussing handball in the penalty area when a penalty has been awarded?

Was discussing handball in the penalty area when a penalty has been awarded?
Ah OK, mixed up posts. Same principle though, how did that handling stop a promising attack when it resulted in a penalty? Deliberately handball isn't a caution, it has to stop a promising attack, or be an attempt to score or stop a goal. It was very clearly neither of those.

Ah OK, mixed up posts. Same principle though, how did that handling stop a promising attack when it resulted in a penalty? Deliberately handball isn't a caution, it has to stop or interfere with a promising attack, or be an attempt to score or failed attempt stop a goal or persistent offending. It was very clearly neither of those.
Made some minor corrections. 😏

But I agree it's neither of those things, admittedly I don't know where Shaw was up to on the totting up charts.

The fact it is in the penalty area is irrelevant.
The law is clear, any handling that stops or interferes with a promising attack is a caution anywhere on the pitch.
It then says any other offence that interferes with/ SPA is a caution unless attempt to play ball and PK awarded.
The only other exception for cautioning that applies to a promising attack offences is if the referee plays advantage. Awarding of a penalty is not advantage. So had it stopped or interfered with a promising attack it would have to be a caution.

Made some minor corrections. 😏

But I agree it's neither of those things, admittedly I don't know where Shaw was up to on the totting up charts.

The fact it is in the penalty area is irrelevant.
The law is clear, any handling that stops or interferes with a promising attack is a caution anywhere on the pitch.
It then says any other offence that interferes with/ SPA is a caution unless attempt to play ball and PK awarded.
The only other exception for cautioning that applies to a promising attack offences is if the referee plays advantage. Awarding of a penalty is not advantage. So had it stopped or interfered with a promising attack it would have to be a caution.
Don't disagree, but it clearly didn't stop or interfere with a promising attack, quite the opposite as it created one.

I'd like to think so, if you're PIDM, is that not a caution?

Edit: Can't see it in Law 12.2 or 12.3, so maybe that's a misconception I had picked up in my head?
Reckless applies to DFK offenses only. But if a PIADM challenge is truly reckless, perhaps it should be a DFK for a reckless challenge rather than an IFK for PIADM.

I'd like to think so, if you're PIDM, is that not a caution?

Edit: Can't see it in Law 12.2 or 12.3, so maybe that's a misconception I had picked up in my head?
Think you're confusing the FA code of DP dangerous play as PIADM.
PIADM is not a caution, as mad as that sounds unless it SPA or is a red card if DOGSO.

Reckless applies to DFK offenses only. But if a PIADM challenge is truly reckless, perhaps it should be a DFK for a reckless challenge rather than an IFK for PIADM.
I was talking on a separate point to the initial caution for reckless handball.

I was just referencing the possibility to handle the ball whilst PIADM, and I thought that was a caution, but I'm not 100% if it is, that's where I'm falling short

I initially thought Shaw was going to get a second yellow card. I guess, I'm used to seeing the ref show a yellow card after a VAR review and then awarding of a penalty.

I thought Andre Marriner had an excellent first half. Second half not the best but it did make it entertaining.

Back