A&H

Brighton v United

Ryanj91

1) didn't the ref blow for FT? Why is he restarting with a kick off? I thought it is finished after the penalty kick has been taken?

2) Shaw should have been sent off (second caution)? He punched the ball away like a keeper.

The Referee Store
We had the same discussion after the 'post match' penalty in the same fixture a few years back. No real answer...probably looks cleaner to do it this way, not that anyone cares. Would also add that while he blew the whistle multiple times, wasn't sure if that was full time or just to stop the throw...it was time though

It's never a 2nd yellow though, a long way from a 'punch' or stopping a promising attack

I thought he had blown for full time, so was surprised there was a restart.

No way it was a caution though, it could only be for SPA. He hasn't prevented a promising attack, rather has turned a nothing attack into a very promising one, i.e. a penalty.

The ball was about to be headed back towards goal. Dunk(?) Was right behind his hand.

Would you not class that as a promising attack? Or is that too vague? I feel he is very lucky.

The ball was about to be headed back towards goal. Dunk(?) Was right behind his hand.

Would you not class that as a promising attack? Or is that too vague? I feel he is very lucky.
Think about it logically. Did it really prevent a promising attack, what percentage chance was there of that header ending up in the goal? Given how far it was from goal you are probably talking 10%. What's the chance of a penalty ending up in the goal, more like 80%. So how can turning a 10% chance into an 80% have stopped a promising attack?

I thought he had blown for full time, so was surprised there was a restart.

No way it was a caution though, it could only be for SPA. He hasn't prevented a promising attack, rather has turned a nothing attack into a very promising one, i.e. a penalty.
The law doesn't view it this way, it would be a yellow anywhere else in the World. Interestingly one of the offences a UEFA committee wanted to get rid of.

I was fully expecting “last kick” and no players entering the box.

This must be something the EPL refs have been briefed on.

I was fully expecting “last kick” and no players entering the box.

This must be something the EPL refs have been briefed on.
Right in law...but not ideal if the worst happens and the keeper saves it then they 'score' the rebound...hate safe refereeing but got to be a good example of it

The law doesn't view it this way, it would be a yellow anywhere else in the World. Interestingly one of the offences a UEFA committee wanted to get rid of.
Which law. Any quotes.

If something is SPA or not is an opinion. But the law is clear that if it is not a SPA then it's not a caution (except for some irrelevant circumstances to this context). In fact law 12 list of USB was specifically changed so that referees don't caution every/most handballs.

Which law. Any quotes.

If something is SPA or not is an opinion. But the law is clear that if it is not a SPA then it's not a caution (except for some irrelevant circumstances to this context). In fact law 12 list of USB was specifically changed so that referees don't caution every/most handballs.
Was poorly worded/wrong. I thought rusty was trying to infer a penalty restores the promising attack so SPA-HB wouldn't be punished with a yellow card if a penalty is awarded (which is effectively what happens in the EPL) .

Found the more interesting case to be that Antony wasn't sent off. It's at the very least a doubly-whammy for reckless + AAA and very probably a red for violent conduct/SFP on the tackle. How both Antony and Dunk ended up being booked is beyond me, either Antony is off or you do not punish Dunk. Can't be equal punishments here.

Found the more interesting case to be that Antony wasn't sent off. It's at the very least a doubly-whammy for reckless + AAA and very probably a red for violent conduct/SFP on the tackle. How both Antony and Dunk ended up being booked is beyond me, either Antony is off or you do not punish Dunk. Can't be equal punishments here.
Seems the prem refs have law 21: “keep all 22 on the pitch at all costs” ;)

Yeah he's just booted him. Zero attempt to play the ball. Crystal clear red card

Yeah he's just booted him. Zero attempt to play the ball. Crystal clear red card
Very similar to DRB's quiz question this week.
I said at the time red and I still think red now as it was a clear act of brutality against the opponent.

What I think might have saved him was that he didn't really connect, there was an angle that showed his leg crossing the opponents as opposed to directly striking it..it's all I have got as to how he stayed on the pitch.

I also think that it could have been a 3 card trick for the afters as well but you will rarely see PL/EFL refs will give out a more severe punishment to 1 player when morw than player from each team are involved.

A good example of this was on here recently in Sunderland V Norwich. Think it was O'nien and Norwich player had a bit to handbags..ordinarily it's two cautions but O'nien was on a YC which would have meant 1 player YC'd and one RC'd so they got a telling off instead.

Right in law...but not ideal if the worst happens and the keeper saves it then they 'score' the rebound...hate safe refereeing but got to be a good example of it
Are we not effectively "rewinding" the game to the point of the handball? Even if only a few seconds, the time between HB and FT should be played from the moment the penalty is kicked, which means you probably would have a kick off, unless the game was already being extended for the corner?

Are we not effectively "rewinding" the game to the point of the handball? Even if only a few seconds, the time between HB and FT should be played from the moment the penalty is kicked, which means you probably would have a kick off, unless the game was already being extended for the corner?

that's sort of what was suggested last time (when a similar thing happened in the brighton v united match a few years ago), although I don't think there's anything in law to suggest this is what happens. play can sometimes go on for minutes between incident and stoppage of play leading to a review and a penalty, I don't think I've seen this time re-added in those instances

Yeah I'm definitely not 100% on this (as surprisingly, VAR isn't a factor at my level!), but that would seem logical. I think a few years ago it would have just gotten lost in the "added time is subjective" cloud, but there's been a bit more focus on adding it properly since the WC and so I would have thought it would be played.

Not properly connecting just can't be suitable mitigation. Once again pgmol failing us lower down the pyramid...if I see that in my next game the player is walking without hesitation
So I saw it as a straight red for violent conduct.

I might be wrong, but he didn’t get a decision and was furious and went and kicked a player. Straight red.

Back