A&H

Burnley/Man City

cwyeary

RefChat Addict
I'm sorry but a PL ref shouldn't need VAR to get that red card right. It checks pretty much every box for SFP [From behind, studs exposed, leg locked, contact high, no/limited opportunity to play the ball, high speed...]

The Referee Store
I'm sorry but a PL ref shouldn't need VAR to get that red card right. It checks pretty much every box for SFP [From behind, studs exposed, leg locked, contact high, no/limited opportunity to play the ball, high speed...]
Why shouldn't he ? I imagine in a stadium and at the high intensity of the Premier league it is difficult to decide in real time.

Pawson Is an excellent referee and probably the best in England.

He obviously had doubts as he got the yellow out then put it away again. I don't think that is easy to judge real time, it is a lot harder to detect when it is a player fouling someone he is chasing that when it is two players coming together.

At the end of the day that is what VAR is for, an understandable mistake has been made an it has been corrected.

Well first game of the season and still the same old problem of PL referees not seemingly knowing what SFP is. Either that or the threshold of what SFP is too high. Either way, disappointing a referee of Pawsons experience not recognising that right away.

You do have to wonder for SFP/VC if the current SG coaching is to go yellow and let VAR support the upgrade. It does 'feel' pretty rare to see Red given directly.

Well first game of the season and still the same old problem of PL referees not seemingly knowing what SFP is. Either that or the threshold of what SFP is too high. Either way, disappointing a referee of Pawsons experience not recognising that right away.
Ridiculous comment and makes no sense.

Well, if it was flagged by VAR, that means it was C&O red, so it's not an issue of the threshold.

I haven't seen the play, but not everything that is obvious from the angle we see on the TV is as obvious from where an R was standing on the field. And we all miss things at times. But I do think that VAR has had some effect or Rs, who have some reluctance to go red unless absolutely positive. While they might have given a red if, say, 75% sure before VAR, with the VAR safety net, I think the confidence level they need before going red on the field is higher. Not supposed to be, but they're human. I think every R prefers having an R given by VAR than an R rescinded by VAR.

You do have to wonder for SFP/VC if the current SG coaching is to go yellow and let VAR support the upgrade. It does 'feel' pretty rare to see Red given directly.
I would be shocked if that was the coaching, as it would be completely at odds with the VAR protocols. But that doesn't mean that human nature doesn't lead to yellows that should be red for the reasons in my post above.

Well, if it was flagged by VAR, that means it was C&O red, so it's not an issue of the threshold.

I haven't seen the play, but not everything that is obvious from the angle we see on the TV is as obvious from where an R was standing on the field. And we all miss things at times. But I do think that VAR has had some effect or Rs, who have some reluctance to go red unless absolutely positive. While they might have given a red if, say, 75% sure before VAR, with the VAR safety net, I think the confidence level they need before going red on the field is higher. Not supposed to be, but they're human. I think every R prefers having an R given by VAR than an R rescinded by VAR.

They are fine at knowing SFP when looking at several replays on a screen but in real time, it seems especially since VAR has been introduced, it seems they go for the safer yellow option than a straight red. It's something that has been discussed several times on here and other members have seemingly picked up on it. Obviously it's not deliberate and no doubt it's more likely the threshold is perhaps too high.

However facts are, upgrading from a yellow to a red would be seen as less of an error than downgrading a red to a yellow hence you see the latter much less often happening.

Of course we don't want the PL to be like Spain/France where they give out red cards out for fun and have a much lower threshold but you don't want it too much the other way where player safety could be compromised.

In his interview the other day, Howard Webb said that this wasn't the case and that referees would effectively get marked down if they went yellow and then went to red on VAR. Likewise going red then changing down. Both would be recorded as an incorrect on-field decision by the panel. There is no assessment advantage to playing it safe.

Last edited:
They are fine at knowing SFP when looking at several replays on a screen but in real time, it seems especially since VAR has been introduced, it seems they go for the safer yellow option than a straight red. It's something that has been discussed several times on here and other members have seemingly picked up on it. Obviously it's not deliberate and no doubt it's more likely the threshold is perhaps too high.

However facts are, upgrading from a yellow to a red would be seen as less of an error than downgrading a red to a yellow hence you see the latter much less often happening.

Of course we don't want the PL to be like Spain/France where they give out red cards out for fun and have a much lower threshold but you don't want it too much the other way where player safety could be compromised.
They absolutely do not rely on VAR. Even though the correct decision was reached in the end, Craig Pawson will get a 7.9 for an incorrect KMD (or whatever it is called these days).

They absolutely do not rely on VAR. Even though the correct decision was reached in the end, Craig Pawson will get a 7.9 for an incorrect KMD (or whatever it is called these days).

Of course not but as I said, it feels less of an error if you upgrade a yellow to a red than the other way round so subconsciously on these SFP incidents which are not 100% obvious then it seems the refs do lean more towards yellow and because of the high threshold on giving out reds for SFP, then there is a chance VAR may not get involved but perhaps unfortunately for Craig Pawson, the VAR did get involved but I could easily see another VAR not getting involved in that.

Out of interest, if Pawson rejected the review and stuck by his decision, would it still be marked down as an error?

Blaming this on VAR is just confirmation bias. Referees have always "bottled" red cards if they aren't 100% sure, VAR doesn't change that. It just means we get the right decision in the end.

I think the AR should be having input on the Comms here.. he has the best view in the house.
Agree - I think with the benefit of VAR they are ering on the side of caution. Most important thing is that they got the correct decision in the end.

Wish they would show the replays to the stadium at the same time though - would make it clear why decisions are given....

Agree - I think with the benefit of VAR they are ering on the side of caution. Most important thing is that they got the correct decision in the end.

Wish they would show the replays to the stadium at the same time though - would make it clear why decisions are given....
They did, but so quickly it didn't really register. Probably a bit like the timescale Craig Pawson got. I'm not sure how many in the stadium thought it was as bad as it was, just looked like a very late trip (and maybe, given Walker's pace, a possible DOGSO - yeah, I know, if it's only possible it's not obvious).

They did, but so quickly it didn't really register. Probably a bit like the timescale Craig Pawson got. I'm not sure how many in the stadium thought it was as bad as it was, just looked like a very late trip (and maybe, given Walker's pace, a possible DOGSO - yeah, I know, if it's only possible it's not obvious).
Even possible is a bit of a stretch for DOGSO there mate

Back