A&H

Burnley penalty v Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
IF the FA want their refs to start giving penalties for accidental handball maybe a consultation would have helped?
Seeing as the English FA make up one fifth off the ifab I'd say they have had their input in the law change.
They don't consult with fans clubs and players, the consultations are done at national association level.
The principle is if you make your body bigger, this is not an accident that the ball has struck your arm. There are few situations where the arm should be extended above or beyond the shoulder so by putting your arm their you take a risk in doing so.
We may not agree with it but, as zara pointed out, the law is now fairly clear, especially with the loss of usually and unusually.

Regardless of the LOTG i think we could of had some input. I'm sure the clubs would of had a say.

Your reply is neither helpful or polite.
My previous reply (post #25) was written in a genuine spirit of attempting to be both helpful and polite. I've gone into some detail in that post, basing my answer on the laws of the game at all points. And as much as a video/seminar would be a nice bonus, it's not mandatory for the FA to provide - the only mandatory aspects are in writing.

Reactions: Nij
This is careless handball. I'd give it.

(See what i did there?)
They should specify the work 'careless' with respect to HB. An opportunity for consistency in the Laws passed up.... no surprise

Regardless of the LOTG i think we could of had some input. I'm sure the clubs would of had a say.

Whilst Zara's reply was direct and to the point, I share his surprise that you were not aware of the law change which was published 16 months ago and came into force over a year ago.
As has been said in another reply, the English FA are a major player at IFAB, and aware of developments in that regard - but they certainly won't consult in advance at local level, as they would end up with a massive diversity of suggestions (as we know from this site!)
Have a read of the 2020/2021 laws online, and the guidance, and then post again if still unclear.
Good luck

I'm still waiting for rusty to answer my question of him.

Sorry, didn't realise I had an SLA on replying ... :)

To answer, no I wouldn't be giving an IDFK for that unless I genuinely believed it was dangerous. But even if I was thinking of disallowing it I'd certainly be looking at player reaction, if I'm the only person who is unhappy with it why on earth would I strike off a goal and make a rod for my own back? The Wolves players weren't happy with the handling call, but they certainly didn't seem to be complaining about the overhead kick itself.

This isn't a new law change, it's been in there for over a year.

It's not my fault if you haven't been keeping upto date with the laws.

They should specify the work 'careless' with respect to HB. An opportunity for consistency in the Laws passed up.... no surprise
You might be right but there is more than handball that applies to, as well.

My previous reply (post #25) was written in a genuine spirit of attempting to be both helpful and polite. I've gone into some detail in that post, basing my answer on the laws of the game at all points. And as much as a video/seminar would be a nice bonus, it's not mandatory for the FA to provide - the only mandatory aspects are in writing.
This comment was not addressed to you.

Sorry, didn't realise I had an SLA on replying ... :)

To answer, no I wouldn't be giving an IDFK for that unless I genuinely believed it was dangerous. But even if I was thinking of disallowing it I'd certainly be looking at player reaction, if I'm the only person who is unhappy with it why on earth would I strike off a goal and make a rod for my own back? The Wolves players weren't happy with the handling call, but they certainly didn't seem to be complaining about the overhead kick itself.
Do you decide on the course of action YOU want to take dependent on player's reactions?

Last season i went to a law amendments session and this was not discussed.

Then that is something that you need to take up with whoever ran the session.

Still doesn't change the fact that it has been in the laws for over a year, and the laws are freely available online so you could have checked them whenever you liked.

IFAB even have a mobile app so you can download the laws to your phone or tablet for free.

Then that is something that you need to take up with whoever ran the session.

Still doesn't change the fact that it has been in the laws for over a year, and the laws are freely available online so you could have checked them whenever you liked.

IFAB even have a mobile app so you can download the laws to your phone or tablet for free.
Attacker handling the ball before a goal was covered bu the defender handling was not.

An explanation of "unnaturally bigger" at this session would have been helpful.

I find it hard to give a penalty for something unintentional. It goes against all of my refereeing instincts.

An explanation of "unnaturally bigger" at this session would have been helpful.

I find it hard to give a penalty for something unintentional. It goes against all of my refereeing instincts.

The hand or arm making the body unnaturally bigger seems pretty self explanatory to me, but it is open to interpretation as you can't expect to be spoon fed every possible scenario.

And not wanting to punish people for something that is unintentional seems like just trying to find an excuse not to apply a law that you don't agree with (although it sounds like you only found out about this law change this week).

We punish players for unintentional things all the time. Often when a player fouls an opponent it is unintentional but we still award a free kick or penalty and the appropriate sanction.

Reactions: Nij
Attacker handling the ball before a goal was covered bu the defender handling was not.
Not really a valid defence. Whilst your association should play an important role in your development and training, we still have a responsibility to check things for ourselves.
There are enough resources published about changes to the laws of the game. We share and discuss them at great length on here. My county FA email them to us. I see them posted and talked about on Jan's blog, refcoach and ifab website. There is a section dedicated to just the changes in the book if you don't want to have to search them out on each law individually, there's now an app, and the lotg are available in pdf so access to them is now easier than ever
Periodically we ought to refresh our knowledge anyway, at least I feel I need to. I'll regularly read a law, even if I think I know it, to ensure that when the chips are down, I know what to do AND I can explain, in law, why I did something, particularly if its not quite the expected decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back