A&H

Burnley v Luton

The Referee Store
It's a very clear foul for me, the key is that Adebayo moves in the opposite direction to the ball ball and just barges into the keeper. Whether it ticks clear and obvious no one knows.
And this is where the optics are wrong.

"VAR Decision:

No Foul."

Which might not be accurate.

It's a very clear foul for me, the key is that Adebayo moves in the opposite direction to the ball ball and just barges into the keeper. Whether it ticks clear and obvious no one knows.
Yeah I said foul straight away and didn't celebrate, seems like a deliberate step in from Adebayo.

As you say the big issue for VAR is that it isn't saying no foul it's effectively sayings "umpires call" as DRS does but that isn't the message that is given out

For me it's not a foul. The keepers still got two feet on the ground, he's made no attempt to jump for the ball and with the contact he throws himself to the ground thinking he'll get the standard free kick that keepers get for any contact.

For me it's not a foul. The keepers still got two feet on the ground, he's made no attempt to jump for the ball and with the contact he throws himself to the ground thinking he'll get the standard free kick that keepers get for any contact.
I don't think what the keeper does is relevant here. Adebayo moves in the opposite direction to the play and the ball into the keeper, why is he doing that if he isn't aiming to impact the keeper? If a 6'4" 16 stone striker barges in front of you then you have zero chance of getting off the ground.

Surely the ref should be giving this in real time. It’s an easy one.

After that it’s all rubbish protocol, bin it, bin it, it’s just column inches, more reasons to bash referees. The optics are wrong? Come on, it’s just rubbish. That’s a basic foul and at the end of the season, it will be a VAR mistake on a 100 million quid goal. If VAR can’t get that surely it is indefensible.

I don't think what the keeper does is relevant here. Adebayo moves in the opposite direction to the play and the ball into the keeper, why is he doing that if he isn't aiming to impact the keeper? If a 6'4" 16 stone striker barges in front of you then you have zero chance of getting off the ground.
Does the attacker not have the same right as the keeper to move into the space? They are both moving into the same space, so is this not a coming together?

Edit. To add, I don't think it's a barge. Usually a free kick is given for this. There is precedence this season when the Wycombe keeper in the Barnsley v Wycombe game had contact from the Barnsey attacker and he had control of the ball in two hands and dropped it and the goal was given.

Last edited:
Does the attacker not have the same right as the keeper to move into the space? They are both moving into the same space, so is this not a coming together?

Edit. To add, I don't think it's a barge. Usually a free kick is given for this. There is precedence this season when the Wycombe keeper in the Barnsley v Wycombe game had contact from the Barnsey attacker and he had control of the ball in two hands and dropped it and the goal was given.
I'd day these are two vastly differing scenarios

I'd day these are two vastly differing scenarios
I agree law 12 states a goalkeeper can't be challenged when they have control of the ball, like the Wycombe keeper did.

I really do want to learn, but I have looked through the lotg and I can't see anything that makes this a foul. I know it's normally given as a free kick and it's what the game expects. I would say it is a block and not a barge and if it was two outfield players it wouldn't be an issue. If the keeper had already left the ground and the contact was made then I would give a free kick.

I agree law 12 states a goalkeeper can't be challenged when they have control of the ball, like the Wycombe keeper did.

I really do want to learn, but I have looked through the lotg and I can't see anything that makes this a foul. I know it's normally given as a free kick and it's what the game expects. I would say it is a block and not a barge and if it was two outfield players it wouldn't be an issue. If the keeper had already left the ground and the contact was made then I would give a free kick.
Ask yourself what was the attacker trying to do. He isn't looking at where the ball is landing, he is moving in the opposite direction directly into where the goalkeeper is standing. Its a clearly rehearsed tactical move, one attacker drops deep and the other blocks off the keeper to make space for him. In moving away from the ball and making contact with the keeper that is an easy DFK.

Ask yourself what was the attacker trying to do. He isn't looking at where the ball is landing, he is moving in the opposite direction directly into where the goalkeeper is standing. Its a clearly rehearsed tactical move, one attacker drops deep and the other blocks off the keeper to make space for him. In moving away from the ball and making contact with the keeper that is an easy DFK.
I've looked back at the lotg and realised I missed the impedes with contact sentence. So it should have been a free kick.

I just feel that the contact didn't match the way the keeper went down. I've seen this mentioned on here, especially when pens have or haven't been given. Is it possible that the keepers jazz hands cost him getting a free kick and VAR overturning the decision?

It’s a foul, I can’t see it any other way. The attackers movement is purely to impede the goalkeeper.

If he was stationary I would say no foul, but he steps directly into him and also sticks his leg across him. I am surprised that the ref didn’t give it in real time, but the fact that VAR don’t suggest another look is beyond belief.

Is it possible that the keepers jazz hands cost him getting a free kick and VAR overturning the decision?

Theatrics didn’t hurt Jota or Fernandes in the eyes of VAR so it shouldn’t have.

Back