A&H

Captains

On The Game

Been a while since I've even logged on to here I'll be honest! Life getting in the way and all - still been having games though and finally going to make the leap and apply for L4.

Anyway, you know the captains that are appointed because they're the manager's son but they've got a bad attitude towards refs, no leadership qualities and aren't team players? What do you do with them? I had one the other week that started handbags, he was a young, immature attacker who basically piggy backed the much larger defender and then decided to square up to him when I gave the foul against him. (One of those who's never felt rough justice) Obviously now I just manage that team without a captain and that's to their detriment - they've chosen a bad character and therefore they won't get the benefit of working with the ref like their opposition will.

What do you all do in these situations? More to the point, why are they appointed captains?! I'm wondering if anyone has ever asked the manager to elect another captain or made some reference to the manager about their choice of captain? I know it's easy to say it's not our decision but there's some advice that could take place I'm sure. There was a centre back from that team would had the perfect attitude.. :rolleyes:

The Referee Store
A captain that adds value can be a massive benefit to Match Control and helping you manage players that are getting hot headed or wound up, however if the appointed captain is an "idiot", then you lose this tool to a certain extent.

The way I approach this (or if the keeper is the skipper and you don't want to drag him miles from the PA) is to identify and use a sensible outfield player and do the quiet word whilst running past or in a natural break in play, e.g. "your number 10 is getting close, manage him for me", "your 1 goal up with 10 to play, make sure the set plays go quickly so you don't pick up a silly booking" etc.

This doesn't worked for stepped approach, as you can't call someone else in without causing a potential problem with the appointed skipper, so either public word without the Captain or Caution, the team manager picking an idiot for a captain as it may cost them a booking that could otherwise have been "managed".

Reactions: one
Yeah, I agree with Matty. A good captain who I think will add value can effectively be an "extra life" for a player who's pushing his luck a little. If I think bringing the captain in might risk making it worse, I'll just send him away and go straight to the cards.

From my experience most managers pick the player who most likes to argue with the referee as captain.
Had one the other week who ran 30 yards to shove an opponent who committed a foul and was astounded when i yellow carded him as he thought he was allowed to do this as he was the captain.

A captain that adds value can be a massive benefit to Match Control and helping you manage players that are getting hot headed or wound up, however if the appointed captain is an "idiot", then you lose this tool to a certain extent.

The way I approach this (or if the keeper is the skipper and you don't want to drag him miles from the PA) is to identify and use a sensible outfield player and do the quiet word whilst running past or in a natural break in play, e.g. "your number 10 is getting close, manage him for me", "your 1 goal up with 10 to play, make sure the set plays go quickly so you don't pick up a silly booking" etc.

This doesn't worked for stepped approach, as you can't call someone else in without causing a potential problem with the appointed skipper, so either public word without the Captain or Caution, the team manager picking an idiot for a captain as it may cost them a booking that could otherwise have been "managed".
I usually ask the keeper to identify a sensible alternative to use as caotain should I need to speak to one of their players up the other end of the fop. I explain thst i dont want to have to traipse them 90 yards down the pitch for a chat and is generally well received

Cant say in my whole existance that I have cared who or what the captain is, in no way will it affect or change anything I do or wont do and am not even bothered if its not the captain who comes for the coin toss.
As much as the Premiership, or even English football? Seems to have some protocol for utilising them, its unheard of in Scotland and as such its just a guy with an armband here.

Cant say in my whole existance that I have cared who or what the captain is, in no way will it affect or change anything I do or wont do and am not even bothered if its not the captain who comes for the coin toss.
As much as the Premiership, or even English football? Seems to have some protocol for utilising them, its unheard of in Scotland and as such its just a guy with an armband here.
So is it fair to say the steps theory for player management is not taught in Scotland?

So is it fair to say the steps theory for player management is not taught in Scotland?

This is not my opinion on something !! If the question you are posing needs a direct yes or no, then, you are correct, its not.

After doing the rounds on the local leagues for a few seasons I’ve got to know a few of the teams, and I know which captains are good to have around as a referee and which are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

When it comes to teams I’ve not had before then I try and judge it on the day, and so far my intuition as to the good captains seems to be fairly spot on.

Normally if a captain just tried to argue with me the first time I try to get their assistance I skip them out for the remainder of the match and players end up in the book quicker.

It does seem to be the older skippers who’ve been around the block a bit that are more useful. Either because they’ve calmed down as they’ve aged, or they can tell that the ref is trying to help them out etc.

It’s my experience that good skippers are harder to find in the women’s game, but that might just be because at my level most of the teams are full of teenagers

Apart from a few decent ones I didn't used to bother involving the captains, they were either the chief provocateur or if you told them about a player walking the line they didn't heed or pass on the advice... Never used to bother with most of them, they were a complete set of over ego'd numpties!!!

It was disappointing more than anything, he was the most immature one on the team - so many better options but clearly the managers son or something..

Sadly got them again this weekend as the away team this time. I'll say nothing to the manager but if he's captain then I don't plan on using them.

Post was just to see how everyone deals with captains that just aren't usable.

I'm sure they thought the same about you SF ;)

Any refs got sh1t in that league, I decided to make a stand and not put up with it, I wasn't there to be Mr Popular or gain promotion, I was there to father figure two teams of overgrown babies most of the time!! A few liked me, but who really cares :( !!! I got the complete dross too, pond life some of them!!! Had some great messages when I finished from people who actually appreciated what I did!! They weren't all kn0bs!!! :pirate:

Captains not a factor here in the frozen north either. I've had maybe one game where I called the captains in. And maybe 2-3 odd cases where i've taken a captain with a player (tears, point of law). The captains are typically just players, not the same chief shouter captain culture here as in the UK,

Give them one chance and if they are clearly going to be a numpty just treat them like any other player for the rest of the game. If that means you caution someone that you might just possibly have had a word with the captain, so be it, tell the cautioned player the reason why. Hopefully he will moan to the manager and they'll change the captain.

I once had a captain in a supply league game say to me, as we were lined up in the tunnel, "just to let you know I won't talk to you as I have issues with refs". I mean really, why the hell have they made him the captain ... ?! Guess who got the first yellow card .... :D

Conversely though I have worked with a lot of captains who have been excellent and have actively prevented problems before they occur, or stop them escalating once they have happened. When I used to manage my choice of captain was based on personality rather than ability, had to be someone that can motivate team mates but also be able to show a calm head in a crisis, and of course be able to work with the referee. Sadly a lot of managers think the captain should be either the best player or the player who shouts and swears the loudest.

Back