A&H

CAR vs CHE

Sky have just kitted out Jamie Carragher in virtual reality kit and put him in the position of Eddie Smart. It clearly showed that he couldn't see Azpilicueta's position at the time of the flick on. As Carragher said, he can't leave the goal line until he has checked the ball didn't curve out and in (as right footer from right wing) then he has to get to the 6 yard line where the offside line is. Probably gets chalked down as one of those things that happens at most once a season, and will be fixed with VAR.

I serious have not got sky so cant see that, but, makes sense
The AR thinks the first guy (who misses the ball) scores

The Referee Store
Ultimately however, it's these gaffs which have left us with the greater of all evils : VAR in its current iteration
Refereeing is an impossible job. Nonetheless, the standard of elite refereeing falls a long way short of where it should be for numerous reasons
SG1 Assistants will soon be ball-boys and it's possible we'll see the off-field referee as the chief arbiter anon. So they're on the slippery path to oblivion

Last edited:
Sky have just kitted out Jamie Carragher in virtual reality kit and put him in the position of Eddie Smart. It clearly showed that he couldn't see Azpilicueta's position at the time of the flick on. As Carragher said, he can't leave the goal line until he has checked the ball didn't curve out and in (as right footer from right wing) then he has to get to the 6 yard line where the offside line is. Probably gets chalked down as one of those things that happens at most once a season, and will be fixed with VAR.
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11681730/carra-defends-officials-at-cardiff

Agree with this to some extent and agree it's not an easy task in this situation but at this level you would expect the AR to be able to manage it. To use a silly analogy, its like saying at the moment of impact I was doing 60Km/hr and the truck was right in front of me so I had no option but to slam into it. Its about not putting yourself into that situation in the first place.

I posted this earlier:

screenshot_20190401-023245-jpg.3341

The AR was well aware of all player positions well before the ball was kicked and as the ball was in flight it became more obvious. A smart and experience AR would not have put himself in a position to miss such clear offside. There are a number of things he could have done to help. Two main things he should have done here to start with which I don't think he did
  • anticipate Willian's movement after the kick
  • notice and put focus on PIOP from before the ball was kicked continuing the focus as the ball was in flight
A couple other things to consider for this specific situation:
  • Primary focus offside, secondary focus ball in out ('secondary focus' does not mean 'no focus')
  • Have starting position a couple of steps to the left of goal line, be prepared and move up quick ahead of Willian
  • OR start on the goal line but delay moving up to avoid blocked view. This does not give perfect line of offside but given he knows there is a relatively big offside gap, in imperfect line of sight is better than no line of sight.
I must add all this is easy in hindsight but I'd expect an AR at that level can anticipate and read movement better than anyone here. Definitely a learning item for me now and I know what to do in a similar situation.

Let’s just file this under the ‘must do better file’
They’ll use this as a positioning faux pas with the other Lino’s... not good really 🤔

I would like to know where the contact was for the supposed DOGSO or red/yellow card, to me it seems the two where running together goal bound and the Cardiff striker fell over after the Chelsea defender, but there is seems no obvious or clear foul to make the Cardiff player go down???

View attachment 3347

The Cardiff player places his left leg in front of the defender behind him, that way he is looking for the foul and the Chelsea defender will fall as his legs are going to be tripped. The referee in the distance looks to be on the halfway line nowhere close to giving any sort of decision.
I think it only has to be careless to qualify. You can make a definite case that the defender wasn't consciously doing anything to obstruct or trip the attacker, but "careless" implies that the lowest bar that has to be hurdled is the idea of an absence of avoiding. And I think by choosing to run at the angle he did, he passes that test for me.

Back