A&H

CAR vs CHE

The Referee Store
Stupid question, but why is he so far back from the touchline?
It's just after a corner kick. At a corner kick you'd want to be in line with goal line but not in the way of the kick taker.. the best place to be is a few steps back from touchline.

1554077280219.png
1. No players on posts means he has to get out to the orange line within a couple of seconds after the kick, he doesn't.
2. He is clearly distracted by Willian.

So you have an out-of-position assistant, trying to look around a player, at a player that comes back from an offside position. He has doubt and keeps the flag down.

Doubt, but not enough. In the absence of a fairly cynical foul, the Cardiff attacker would have taken possession of the ball with an obvious opportunity to score. I haven't seen it again (but then i prefer real-time) as I've switched over to EFL Trophy, but I'd expect a red card at tother end
No doubt in my mind - the replays I saw, seemed to show that the ball was heading directly to the Chelsea keeper, while the Cardiff forward was running at an angle taking him away from the flight of the ball and he was almost certainly not going to gain control of the ball. In real time I was thinking at first it should have been DOGSO but the replays convinced me it wasn't.

Last edited:
Have not seen it, bar the pics in the thread
Gonna take a rough guess the ref is at the 18, and, central
With no knowledge or awareness, or, care, about offside, leaving it all in the hands of a colleague.
Who appears to be unsighted.

Not suggesting we expect the ref to call offside but, the ref should have at least an awareness of who is where on the park.
It might just have got him out of jail on this occasion,
Instead, he is stuck, and given there is no flag, he simply accepts it must be onside.

Instantly thought 'yellow' for the dogso. Correct call seeing the replays. The offside was ridiculous.
Do 'big' teams get the decisions?? Not sure about that.
It's hard to argue against var when you see the highlights.

Instantly thought 'yellow' for the dogso. Correct call seeing the replays. The offside was ridiculous.
It's hard to argue against var when you see the highlights.

I would suggest a game at Cardiff, a close game, and with Warnock to deal with, the mentality would be to err in favour of the home team, not that ww think that way, but, if we did...

Impartiality is impossible full stop. There is always 'unconscious bias' and referees are under intense pressure to stay out of the headlines. It would be impossible to statistically prove that refs lean towards the big clubs, but it's not difficult to see why they might unwittingly tend to do so
In real time I was thinking at first it should have been DOGSO but the replays convinced me it wasn't
So like me, you'd have given this in real time. I haven't had the benefit of replays (we don't get replays as refs!) because I was more focused on the EFL Trophy final

Willian is 5'9", Eddie Smart is no bigger and has the disadvantage that he has his knees bent so is a lot lower.

It's still a mistake, and a big one at that, but it does go some way to explain how it happened. I was observing yesterday and a group in the row in front of me stood up and started hugging each other before one of them left and I missed a caution as a result. Made me look like a fool in the debrief as I'd missed a caution, but not really a lot I could do about it.

Out of curiosity, if you saw something in a match you were observing that was similar to this, what development advice would you give to the ref/AR?

It's never happened to me, but I think the best option would be to flag for the offside, call the ref over, explain your view was instructed and that you aren't sure whether the ball came from a Chelsea or Cardiff player.

I would like to know where the contact was for the supposed DOGSO or red/yellow card, to me it seems the two where running together goal bound and the Cardiff striker fell over after the Chelsea defender, but there is seems no obvious or clear foul to make the Cardiff player go down???

carchel.jpg

The Cardiff player places his left leg in front of the defender behind him, that way he is looking for the foul and the Chelsea defender will fall as his legs are going to be tripped. The referee in the distance looks to be on the halfway line nowhere close to giving any sort of decision.

Last edited:
^^^ someone mentioned on a Scottish clip the other day just that.... it was good to see the Scottish ref up with play........ even in the still above, the referee is not giving himself any chance.

For full time employees, only Taylor, Oliver and despite his aging years, Dean, come across as athletic.

It's never happened to me, but I think the best option would be to flag for the offside, call the ref over, explain your view was instructed and that you aren't sure whether the ball came from a Chelsea or Cardiff player.
That wouldn't work for me.
If I was your referee, I'd be saying something along the lines of "Thank you. I'm certain the last touch was off the attacker so, are you 100% the player was offside or just guessing because you couldn't see?"

But yes, some advice on avoiding this would be useful.

That wouldn't work for me.
If I was your referee, I'd be saying something along the lines of "Thank you. I'm certain the last touch was off the attacker so, are you 100% the player was offside or just guessing because you couldn't see?"

But yes, some advice on avoiding this would be useful.

This would be more about who the last touch came off, you know the player was off side, but need confirmation about whether the ball came from a team mate, or a deliberate play of the ball by the defender.

If you don't know whether the player who scored was off side or not you're pretty much screwed.

^^^ someone mentioned on a Scottish clip the other day just that.... it was good to see the Scottish ref up with play........ even in the still above, the referee is not giving himself any chance.

For full time employees, only Taylor, Oliver and despite his aging years, Dean, come across as athletic.

It was a long hoof forward, no referee would have got close in that scenario.

It was a long hoof forward, no referee would have got close in that scenario.

Ok I will watch it
Am struggling to see how a top flight fifa full time athlete wont be close to it, but, benefit of doubt till then

These guys are very well paid to, read the game, and, be fit.
Thats what seperates them from us plebs
They get every training, in every discipline, to ensure they are correctly placed to make big calls

Chelsea 1st goal. What was the AR thinking?

View attachment 3340

Have not seen the dogso but
My guess? AR thinks the onside guy headers that in.
Sorry since the days of Rougive, McLaughlin and McAllister, I dont know the Chelsea names, but, the guy who goes to head, clearly misses, and the guy behind him heads it in.

The AR wont see the wee guy behind the guy who goes to head it

Ian Holloway mentioned that when Blackpool got relegated by one point he’d received a letter from PGMOL saying that wrong decisions has cost them 9 points on review and they were apologetic and would try harder! That’s 200million down the Swannie! Cheers Guvvoner!

Ian Holloway mentioned that when Blackpool got relegated by one point he’d received a letter from PGMOL saying that wrong decisions has cost them 9 points on review and they were apologetic and would try harder! That’s 200million down the Swannie! Cheers Guvvoner!

Was there also a letter saying how many goals were not refs fault?
Along with Derby, Swindon and this seasons Huddersfield, that Blackpool team were dug poo

Have not seen the dogso but
My guess? AR thinks the onside guy headers that in.
Sorry since the days of Rougive, McLaughlin and McAllister, I dont know the Chelsea names, but, the guy who goes to head, clearly misses, and the guy behind him heads it in.

The AR wont see the wee guy behind the guy who goes to head it

Sky have just kitted out Jamie Carragher in virtual reality kit and put him in the position of Eddie Smart. It clearly showed that he couldn't see Azpilicueta's position at the time of the flick on. As Carragher said, he can't leave the goal line until he has checked the ball didn't curve out and in (as right footer from right wing) then he has to get to the 6 yard line where the offside line is. Probably gets chalked down as one of those things that happens at most once a season, and will be fixed with VAR.

Back