A&H

Champions League Final

The Referee Store
I thought Skomina interfered unecessarily too much at corners and missed some fouls and should have made a couple of decisions where both players went down.

The penalty, yes, a UEFA pen as we know it. Son handball looked like chest. AR2 delayed flagging was embaressing, especially Son’s 40 yard diagonal run.

Back to the penalty. I think the law should be changed so this is not a penalty. The player is signalling, tried to avoid a handball offence, and the attacker tries to play the ball at the hand, and the ball bounces from chest to arm. The direction the law is going with handball is wrong IMHO. This shouldn’t be an offence. I’d be much happier to go back to a dictionary definition of ”deliberate” in the opinion of the referee.

PS The victory is not so sweet as it was only Spurs;)

I thought Skomina interfered unecessarily too much at corners and missed some fouls and should have made a couple of decisions where both players went down.

The penalty, yes, a UEFA pen as we know it. Son handball looked like chest. AR2 delayed flagging was embaressing, especially Son’s 40 yard diagonal run.

Back to the penalty. I think the law should be changed so this is not a penalty. The player is signalling, tried to avoid a handball offence, and the attacker tries to play the ball at the hand, and the ball bounces from chest to arm. The direction the law is going with handball is wrong IMHO. This shouldn’t be an offence. I’d be much happier to go back to a dictionary definition of ”deliberate” in the opinion of the referee.

PS The victory is not so sweet as it was only Spurs;)
Santa, brilliant synopsis.
The whole speak to someone in the PA from set peices, regardless of the need to do so, does my nut in. ARs are ball boys as we know. The HB law was a mess, now it's blancmange at best

Apparently the ref they had on 5live said it wasn't a penalty as the ball hit the body and then the arm and therefore can't be a penalty.

Apparently the ref they had on 5live said it wasn't a penalty as the ball hit the body and then the arm and therefore can't be a penalty.
He probably should have read the laws then. It is "not usually" an offence, but that doesn't mean it cannot be.

He probably should have read the laws then. It is "not usually" an offence, but that doesn't mean it cannot be.
Well, that's if you're using the wording of the new law which wasn't in effect here but even if using the 'old' law and allowing for a slight imprecision in his language, using the 'unexpected ball' clause he's essentially correct. A ball hit from that close, and deflecting off the player's own body onto the arm, should not be given as a penalty, as far as I'm concerned.

A ball is about to be crossed in, he should not be putting his hand/arm there no matter what his intent is. If this handball is not give, every defender becomes a traffic cop directing his team mates when defending a cross from a short distance. But it looks like I am in the minority here.

On a side note (prompted by the pic), what is this new trend of players covering bracelets and other wrist 'jewellery' items using wrist bands or a tight strap? Not a big issue for me for small items but I had a player covering a huge and chunky Garmin watch by a wrist band, really?

Torn on this handball. I wouldn't have given it in my games but I can see, given how handballs have been punished in Europe, how it was given and then subsequently survived a VAR check. I wonder if he had not awarded it VAR would have got involved? I suspect not as it wouldn't be obviously wrong, I suppose.
I think as of now this has to be a handball, whether we like it or not, really. Either using the arm to make naturally bigger or hand or arm above shoulder height.
Thought Skomina had a good game overall in a very tame game.
Hardly any fouls. Were there any cautions? Missed or otherwise.
I said that there weren't enough fouls in the game. What I mean by that is neither side was doing enough to test their opponent to force them I to committing fouls. A very poor advert for English football.

I was thinking of any scenarios where this could be given as HB 247365... and I failed....
Intentional - No
Deflected - Yes
Arm position - He’s pointing not deliberately attempting to HB
Unexpected - Yes
Proximity - Too close
Actual Handball - No

Peter Walton should retire today and go assessing County FA boot cleanliness parades! Complete yes man!

Last edited:
Bloody ludicrous decision....unless you re-write the law to state "handling the ball with any part of the hand or arm except goal keepers withing their own area is an offence" period..........and it would remove the need for all those edicts about unnatural position etc.

There I've fixed it for football.....
Next!

His arm was up pointing before the ball was kicked, but, after the ball was kicked, and before it hits his body, he starts bringing his arm down, if he'd left his arm up I doubt it would have touched the ball.

I can see why it was given, and why the VAR backed the decision

His arm was up pointing before the ball was kicked, but, after the ball was kicked, and before it hits his body, he starts bringing his arm down, if he'd left his arm up I doubt it would have touched the ball.

I can see why it was given, and why the VAR backed the decision
Yeh, he saw the ball was coming and in a millisecond, he decided to do the dumbest thing in the first minute of the biggest games of his life!!!! Please!!!

Yeh, he saw the ball was coming and in a millisecond, he decided to do the dumbest thing in the first minute of the biggest games of his life!!!! Please!!!

Quite possibly, wouldn't be the first time a player has done something monumentally stupid.

I doubt I'd have given it in one of my games, but last night the officials seemed to be very much refereeing for VAR.

So I doubt it would have been given yesterday if the ref hadn't had VAR to override him if he'd made a mistake.

As an English referee until 2006 I doubt I would have given the handball.

However, I have been 'reconditioned' since refereeing in France and that is a penalty in every game in Europe, VAR or not. I disagree with you guys about if the referee had not given it (which I doubt anyway), VAR would have overturned the decision and awarded the penalty. European referees will give that 'all day'!

Last edited:
Reactions: one
On a side note (prompted by the pic), what is this new trend of players covering bracelets and other wrist 'jewellery' items using wrist bands or a tight strap? Not a big issue for me for small items but I had a player covering a huge and chunky Garmin watch by a wrist band, really?

There's nothing underneath it. Don't know why they do it, but I've seen loads of occasions where they peel it off as they are being subbed at the end of the game and there is nothing underneath. Also had it with players when I have been refereeing and they don't have anything under it.

Reactions: JH
In real time it looked nailed on. On the image posted not so. On the reverse angle again it looked nailed on.

As for the Son handball it looked similar so the approach was consistent throughout.

Back