A&H

City Vs The Champions then

Just watched it back and I might be going potty haha.
I agree it's a pen but there is an opportunity to punish the shirt holding by Sterling.
It probably fits in the bracket of allowable holding offences in the PL.
2020/21 laws, A holding offence occurs only when a player’s contact with an opponent’s body or
equipment impedes the opponent’s movement so probably not even a foul from next season which is probably in line with how the PL refs have been applying the law for a while

Why do you think Sterling is grabbing his shirt if not to impede his movement?

The Referee Store
There was pulling by Gomez but did it really need the 9.0, 9.0, 9.0 at the end of it.....I suppose it did to seal the deal!! An exagerated foul for sure!!

The disallowed Goal at the end should have stood. The non-deliberate handball offence was never created for this. The handball did not create a goal scoring opportunity, it was in the buildup to it. The issue is clarified in the 20-21 LOTG.

There was pulling by Gomez but did it really need the 9.0, 9.0, 9.0 at the end of it.....I suppose it did to seal the deal!! An exagerated foul for sure!!

It did, Taylor seen the shirt pulling for about 3 or 4 seconds but did nothing until Sterling went down, rightly or wrongly you dont normally get a decision if you stay on your feet.

The disallowed Goal at the end should have stood. The non-deliberate handball offence was never created for this. The handball did not create a goal scoring opportunity, it was in the buildup to it. The issue is clarified in the 20-21 LOTG.

Very very tough one that, i think if the handball occurs and the next player to touch the ball is the goalscorer its always going to be disallowed.

Clear penalty kick, yes it looks like Taylor gives it at the moment Sterling goes down, but, I feel he was giving it anyway, what we look for there is credibility and selling of decision, Taylor could give that at any point prior, imo, he was always going to award it, he left the decision as long as he realistically could, Sterling actually going down had no bearing on the award, merely the timing on it

disallowed goal is strangely a mirror image of the Spurs one, an attacking player is fouled yet proceeds to handle the ball.

i dont know if EPL are using 19/20 or 20/21 directions?
If its 19/20 then I can understand the handball being given, however I am still seeing the City player being fouled first, so, if we are intent on penalising the handball, we need to go bk to the fk to City
If its 20/21 then no, thats not handball, its wide, its 40 yards from goal and there are three defenders, plus gk,so, imo, there is no direct goal scoring opportunity following the handball.

Would a goal scoring opportunity after a handball like the Mahrez one say have to be similar/same as a DOGSO red car incident ?

If Mahrez had been fouled when he picked up the ball we wouldn't have seen a red card so does that mean it was as you point out a goal scoring opportunity ?

Penalty is a classic "in the opinion of the referee" call IMO. Disagree with some of the above, I don't think he's giving it until the point Sterling goes weak at the knees. And if he doesn't give it, not a chance VAR would intervene. But once he's given a decision (PK or defensive FK), there's enough grabbing by both players that nothing would ever be overturned. Again, as mentioned in another thread, I'd quite like that to be publically explained on the screens as "VAR sticking with on field decision", I think that would explain the process much more clearly.

I've got no problem with the HB call. In fact, I actually think that's move valid than the one in the Spurs game - if the ball doesn't hit that players hand, it wouldn't end up in the right position for the player who goes on and scores. Entirely accidental of course, but the touch is key to the creation of the goal scoring opportunity, which is what the law is in place to prevent.

No hint of DOGSO on the in/out of penalty area decision? Not a clear call due to the difficult in controlling the ball, but again I think if the referee had gone red, it probably was close enough that VAR would have upheld it.

Final thing I wanted to highlight was an excellent delaying the restart yellow. Just after City scored their second and were clearly thinking about trying to play defensive and hang onto that lead (obviously not how it worked out!), Mendy did a couple of turns and fake throws. Probably no more than ~10 second overall, but Taylor was very quick to go for the yellow. And apart from one occasion in the second half where I thought Mendy pushed his luck on another throw, it worked really well to keep the game moving and stop slow restarts from reoccurring.

Oooh, one other thing I meant to bring up - Ederson and his charging out is something that I think might end up inspiring a law change, or at least some clarification. He flattened and I think concussed a teammate a few weeks ago and twice last night ended up behaving very recklessly while sweeping.

The first time he came out keeps getting highlighted because he scuffed his clearance and it hit his hand. Clearly no HB IMO, but in trying to recover from the scuff, he launched himself at the ball studs first to make a tackle, forcing Salah to take evasive action. Later on, he comes out to compete with Mane for a long ball and launches himself head-first at a waist-high ball to make a headed clearance - again, the opponent ended up pulling out, in this case to avoid hurting him. In both cases, he played in a very dangerous way and received no punishment, not even giving away a FK, seemingly because GK's on the charge seem to be given right of way by referees. I really think the way laws are enforced for sweeping GK's needs to be looked at, before he injures someone more seriously than he already has.

i think mane pulling out is a good thing bearing in mind he put stitches in edersons head 2 years ago

it's just a standard part of the game though, two players going for a ball, not sure what you can do to change it. seems farcical to penalise someone for winning the ball cleanly

Very very tough one that, i think if the handball occurs and the next player to touch the ball is the goalscorer its always going to be disallowed.
Even if he runs it from his own penalty area and scores a goal 10 seconds later. Are you bringing the ball back to the other end and give a penalty the other way for a non deliberate handball?

i think mane pulling out is a good thing bearing in mind he put stitches in edersons head 2 years ago

it's just a standard part of the game though, two players going for a ball, not sure what you can do to change it. seems farcical to penalise someone for winning the ball cleanly
Considerations for your own and opponent's safety always trumps your rights to play the ball. Ignoring that consideration makes playing the ball a CRUEF challenge or PIADAM.

I've got no problem with two players challenging form the ball. But Ederson is not entitled to put Mane in a position where he has to choose between playing for the ball and risking his opponent's safety. I thought there was a really strong case for it in the incident you cite from 2 years ago and it's nailed on last night. That's playing in a dangerous manner and it's a yellow card offence.

The other one is even more straight forward. It's an easy yellow card tackle if made by a defender, some referees might have considered red if Salah hadn't pulled out and had taken the hit on his ankle. There's nothing in the laws that allows for Ederson to be a danger to everyone around him just because he's a GK.

Last edited:
I've got no problem with two players challenging form the ball. But Ederson is not entitled to put Mane in a position where he has to choose between playing for the ball and risking his opponent's safety. That's playing in a dangerous manner and it's a yellow card offence.

The other one is even more straight forward. It's an easy yellow card tackle if made by a defender, some referees might have considered red if Salah hadn't pulled out and had taken the hit on his ankle. There's nothing in the laws that allows for Ederson to be a danger to everyone around him just because he's a GK.

i couldnt disagree more tbh

a diving header is not putting his own safety at risk in that situation and more than diving at the feet of an attacker rushing towards him. it's part of the game.

i think penalising him there would be a farce as would changing the laws to prevent it

I've got no problem with two players challenging form the ball. But Ederson is not entitled to put Mane in a position where he has to choose between playing for the ball and risking his opponent's safety. That's playing in a dangerous manner and it's a yellow card offence.
What a yellow card?

i couldnt disagree more tbh

a diving header is not putting his own safety at risk in that situation and more than diving at the feet of an attacker rushing towards him. it's part of the game.

i think penalising him there would be a farce as would changing the laws to prevent it
So you would have been perfectly happy for Mane to use his boot to compete for that ball?

I've got no problem with two players challenging form the ball. But Ederson is not entitled to put Mane in a position where he has to choose between playing for the ball and risking his opponent's safety. I thought there was a really strong case for it in the incident you cite from 2 years ago and it's nailed on last night. That's playing in a dangerous manner and it's a yellow card offence.
Strictly speaking, PIADM is not necessarily a cautionable offence.
If you felt his challenge was reckless, or unsporting behaviour that's a different matter.
The FA have a DP code but a caution for PIADM is not in law. :)

So you would have been perfectly happy for Mane to use his boot to compete for that ball?

bearing in mind it was a diving header and the ball was not very high off the floor, i dont think mane could be penalised too harshly had he not pulled out and caught ederson.

i dont want football to get to a place when you cant challenge someone who's decided to head the ball when it's relatively low to the ground

bearing in mind it was a diving header and the ball was not very high off the floor, i dont think mane could be penalised too harshly had he not pulled out and caught ederson.

i dont want football to get to a place when you cant challenge someone who's decided to head the ball when it's relatively low to the ground
And yet, you quite happily argued against my post by bring up the incident from 2 seasons prior, where Mane did compete for a mid-height ball and Ederson got injured as a result?

You can't have it both ways - either GK's head vs attackers foot is a competition that should be allowed or it's not. And if it's not, the referee needs to be correctly penalising whichever member of that incident has caused it to become dangerous. Sometimes that will be the goalkeeper.

Back