A&H

Coin Toss (New Laws) - Question

Kes

I'll Decide ...
Maybe I'm being a bit thick (in which case - feel free to slag me off in the usual but polite manner :D ) but, having read the amendment to the above, I'm still unsure as to what option is to be given to the team that "loses" the toss.

It's clear that we now give the option of either choosing ends or taking the kick-off to the "toss" winner, but am I right in reading it that we must then ask the other team if they'd like to change ends if the other team chooses to kick-off? Seems bizarre if that's the case. Am I just reading that wrong?

Law 8 – The Start and Restart of Play
1. Kick-off
Procedure
Amended text
•the team that wins the toss of a coin decides which goal it will to attack in the first
half or to take the kick-off
•depending on the above, their opponents take the kick-off or decide which goal to
attack in the first half

The Referee Store
@Kes you are reading it correctly. The change effectively reverts to the previous procedure (prior to the last time they changed it) whereby if the side winning the toss choose to kick off, the other side then choose which end to attack

It's clear that we now give the option of either choosing ends or taking the kick-off to the "toss" winner, but am I right in reading it that we must then ask the other team if they'd like to change ends if the other team chooses to kick-off? Seems bizarre if that's the case. Am I just reading that wrong?
Perhaps try looking at it this way. There are two options available: take the kick-off or choose which goal to attack.

Whichever option the team winning the toss chooses, the losing team gets the other one.

I guess the complexity (not that complex really) is because one of the options leads you to other options.

Or, the the coin has two sides, head, tails. The winner has three options, kick off, attack north, attack south. Choosing one of those options leaves the looser with options. While choosing any other one, leaves no options for the looser.

I better stop before I get myself confused.

I guess the complexity (not that complex really) is because one of the options leads you to other options.

Or, the the coin has two sides, head, tails. The winner has three options, kick off, attack north, attack south. Choosing one of those options leaves the looser with options. While choosing any other one, leaves no options for the looser.

Hmm. Your post demonstrates an ability to make the simple complex. IFAB May have a job for you....

What will I do if the pitch is on an east west orientation?........

So are we saying that the winning captain does NOT get the option to make the opponents kick off (ie, to claim the 2nd half kick off)?

So are we saying that the winning captain does NOT get the option to make the opponents kick off (ie, to claim the 2nd half kick off)?

That’s what I thought. The wording makes it seem that if opponents choose first half kick off, the opponents get second half AND to choose which end they attack.

Hi
This is a reversal to the way it was. If the team that wins the toss takes the ball to kick off then the opponents chose ends. If the winner of the toss chooses ends then the opponents take the kick off. That's the choice and in many instances direction of play makes little difference so possession is beneficial

Hi
This is a reversal to the way it was. If the team that wins the toss takes the ball to kick off then the opponents chose ends. If the winner of the toss chooses ends then the opponents take the kick off. That's the choice and in many instances direction of play makes little difference so possession is beneficial
No, it's not a reversal. A reversal would be that instead of automatically having to decide which goal to attack, the winner automatically gets the kick-off. Now, instead of having only one option (choice of ends) the winner gets to choose between two different options.

The easiest way to do this is to toss the coin and then ask the winning captain "what do you want to do?" Basically s/he has all the options to choose from.

The easiest way to do this is to toss the coin and then ask the winning captain "what do you want to do?" Basically s/he has all the options to choose from.
Agreed - but if he answers "we'd like them to kick off", we're then obliged to make the winning captain pick an end. Won't that come across to the losing captain as if the winner has gotten to make both decisions?

Blimey, people are making the simple task of tossing a coin a lot more complicated than it should be.

Just say to the winner "do you want kick off or choice of ends". If he chooses kick off say to the loser "you get choice of ends", if the winner chooses ends you say to the loser "you get the kick off". I'm really struggling to see the complication here.

Blimey, people are making the simple task of tossing a coin a lot more complicated than it should be.

Just say to the winner "do you want kick off or choice of ends". If he chooses kick off say to the loser "you get choice of ends", if the winner chooses ends you say to the loser "you get the kick off". I'm really struggling to see the complication here.

No, the loser doesn’t get to kick off - they get the choice of whether they want to first half or second half, unless I’m mistaken?

No, the loser doesn’t get to kick off - they get the choice of whether they want to first half or second half, unless I’m mistaken?
You are mistaken. The options are kick off. Or choose and end to attack. So if the winner chooses an end the loser kick off. And if the winner chooses to kick off the loser chooses which end to attack in the first half.
Its 2 options. With the loser settling for the option the winner didn't pick.

You are mistaken. The options are kick off. Or choose and end to attack. So if the winner chooses an end the loser kick off. And if the winner chooses to kick off the loser chooses which end to attack in the first half.
Its 2 options. With the loser settling for the option the winner didn't pick.
Why not just do rock paper scissor???

Back