A&H

Dissent at half time

I think the key parts here are 1) is it a player. In the OP yes it is. So if a player is shown a yellow card for dissent they are Temporarily dismissed. 2) The second part that is relevant is the sin bin period and the sin bin time.
Once a player is shown a yellow card for dissent the sin bin period commences. But the time does not start until the next restart in play.
3)Also, a player sin binned on 44th minute remains in the sin bin period throughout the duration of half time so it stands to reason the sin bin is effective through the half time interval.
In conclusion I would say that a player cautioned for dissent during the half time interval would be temporarily dismissed with the TD time period commencing at the restart of play to commence the second half.

The Referee Store
I think the key parts here are 1) is it a player. In the OP yes it is. So if a player is shown a yellow card for dissent they are Temporarily dismissed. 2) The second part that is relevant is the sin bin period and the sin bin time.
Once a player is shown a yellow card for dissent the sin bin period commences. But the time does not start until the next restart in play.
3)Also, a player sin binned on 44th minute remains in the sin bin period throughout the duration of half time so it stands to reason the sin bin is effective through the half time interval.
In conclusion I would say that a player cautioned for dissent during the half time interval would be temporarily dismissed with the TD time period commencing at the restart of play to commence the second half.
Which is completely at odds with what my county RDM has said to me on an email and what a member of a neighbouring county discipline department has said on here.

I'm coming at it from the perspective of being in a promotion season and wanting to protect myself if it happened in an observed game.

Personally I think it should be a Sin Bin, but I'm equally happy to dish out a C2 non sin bin dissent caution, should it happen to me and use the line that's what the County FA guidance is!

Reactions: ARF
I absolutely dislike the inconsistency the non-clear laws cause. This is not a matter of opinion. This is a black and white decision. Its either sin-bin ot no sin-bin. Yet you will find different referees may do different things because it is not clear in law.

Here is another one. Everyone in place to kick-off the match as you are about to signal for kick off, a player, other than kicker, is on the opponent half. When you tell him to get to his own side he dissents (assume it is dissent and you will not 'managing it' but you want to take disciplinary action). Sin bin or no sin bin? Can they replace him immediately in either case? Would it count as a Sub?

Reactions: es1
I absolutely dislike the inconsistency the non-clear laws cause. This is not a matter of opinion. This is a black and white decision. Its either sin-bin ot no sin-bin. Yet you will find different referees may do different things because it is not clear in law.

Here is another one. Everyone in place to kick-off the match as you are about to signal for kick off, a player, other than kicker, is on the opponent half. When you tell him to get to his own side he dissents (assume it is dissent and you will not 'managing it' but you want to take disciplinary action). Sin bin or no sin bin? Can they replace him immediately in either case? Would it count as a Sub?
Think there's a danger of over thinking this. The intent of the introduction of sin bins was to act as a deterrent and therefore reduce dissent. So I'd be looking for reasons to use it rather than not use it. No one would be surprised to see a player sent to the bin for dissent either immediately pre match or at half time ... why disappoint them? :)

Think there's a danger of over thinking this. The intent of the introduction of sin bins was to act as a deterrent and therefore reduce dissent. So I'd be looking for reasons to use it rather than not use it. No one would be surprised to see a player sent to the bin for dissent either immediately pre match or at half time ... why disappoint them? :)
Absolutely right about overthink and what should happen. But the point of the post about inconsistency. Next week's ref may not think the same way as you do.

Back