A&H

Dissent without caution?

Silverref

Level 5 Referee
I watched a grass roots cup final this week, very early on the ref gave 2 free kicks for dissent (he used the hand signal for dissent so was clear) without sin bin / cautioning.

I know the ref and one of the AR’s so after the game I asked them about it, as I was sure you couldn’t give a free kick for dissent without a sin bin / caution. I mentioned that to them and talked about the stepped approach, but they both said i was wrong and the law allowed it, and they use it frequently as a tool to control the game.

They were so confident (the ref said he had been reffing for over 20 years) that I am now questioning myself.

So, please someone put me out of my misery, by law can you give a free kick for dissent without a sin bin / caution.

A&H International
I watched a grass roots cup final this week, very early on the ref gave 2 free kicks for dissent (he used the hand signal for dissent so was clear) without sin bin / cautioning.

I know the ref and one of the AR’s so after the game I asked them about it, as I was sure you couldn’t give a free kick for dissent without a sin bin / caution. I mentioned that to them and talked about the stepped approach, but they both said i was wrong and the law allowed it, and they use it frequently as a tool to control the game.

They were so confident (the ref said he had been reffing for over 20 years) that I am now questioning myself.

So, please someone put me out of my misery, by law can you give a free kick for dissent without a sin bin / caution.
Might be worth a chat with your RDO, twits like these who make their own laws up as they go make life harder for all the others who do the job properly.

I'm intrigued what the hand signal for dissent is? 🤨

well, if you are as old as me and remember “the birdie song” from the 80’s , it’s a little bit of this and a little bit of that!

For those that not from the 80’s it’s when your hand is out, thumb repeatedly coming up to the fingers like you are chatting!

well, if you are as old as me and remember “the birdie song” from the 80’s , it’s a little bit of this and a little bit of that!

For those that not from the 80’s it’s when your hand is out, thumb repeatedly coming up to the fingers like you are chatting!
Wasn’t aware of this. Is there a link to it online as struggling to visualise it?

I believe they’re getting at something along those lines

(trying to attach a working link)

That link worked thank you. So do you have to use that signal as a ref when sin binning? If so who is the ref signaling to e.g. the managers?

That link worked thank you. So do you have to use that signal as a ref when sin binning? If so who is the ref signaling to e.g. the managers?
When SinBinning, the approved signal is to point to the touchline. This can be done with one arm, but I use two (I have a photo of me doing it somewhere if that helps?).

This signals to all spectators and participants that the caution comes with a 10mins Temporary Dismissal

This is confusion my sarcastic post earlier was trying to avoid ☺️. There is no signal for dissent. There is a signal for sin bin though as pointed out.

When SinBinning, the approved signal is to point to the touchline. This can be done with one arm, but I use two (I have a photo of me doing it somewhere if that helps?).

This signals to all spectators and participants that the caution comes with a 10mins Temporary Dismissal
Got it thank you. Will start doing that!

I'd suggest that the 'unapproved' hand signal is most perfectly used when using the stepped approach to 'nip in the bud' disagreement BEFORE it reaches the level of dissent. That's certainly part of my coaching around best practice use of body language ... along with the palms down 'calm down' gesture and the multiple pointing approach to Persistent Infringement.

The correct signal is to point with both arms towards the technical area.

Back