A&H

Do we accept a confession of guilt?

No! A top referee recently said on an RA session that this had happened to him. Team wanted real culprit (the captain) to stay on the pitch so another player 'owned up' for him.

Video evidence told him (the ref) that he was duped!
I maybe should have added the context. The official knew that a red card incident had occurred but didn't know who. So, as, has been suggested on here, he turned to the group of players and said, "Yes please" and that's when the 'guilty' player walked towards him.

The Referee Store
I maybe should have added the context. The official knew that a red card incident had occurred but didn't know who. So, as, has been suggested on here, he turned to the group of players and said, "Yes please" and that's when the 'guilty' player walked towards him.
I think if you've lost the player in that situation, you just have to shrug and accept that you've got as close to justice as was possible!

Best case scenario is obviously sending off the right player. Worse case is sending off nobody. Putting a team down to 10 men but by sending off the wrong player? Clearly somewhere in the middle.

I think if you've lost the player in that situation, you just have to shrug and accept that you've got as close to justice as was possible!

Best case scenario is obviously sending off the right player. Worse case is sending off nobody. Putting a team down to 10 men but by sending off the wrong player? Clearly somewhere in the middle.
Somewhat agree here.
Especially since if a club appeal on account of mistaken identity I am certain they would have to give up the offending player, no?

Back