A&H

DOGSO mess up

Have you ever not given red while you know it should have been red?

• Yes

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Was half expecting a Padfoot bollocking by now, but yeah. Using common sense is often as difficult to do as applying the law. Either way, one team is going to be upset. In any case, my case is imo a great example why the sin bin should never have been introduced
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm struggling to see the link between sin bins and not sending a player off for DOGSO.

The Referee Store
There isn't a referee alive who hasn't failed to send off a player when they should have. And if they tell you they fit into that category they are either very new and haven't messed up yet, or are telling porkies. Doesn't mean they failed to send off deliberately, but we've all ballsed up and got it wrong at times.

My most common one is seeing the challenge, knowing I'm sending off, but then losing the offender in the ensuing melee. I'll try to use kidology and read player body language to get the right one, but if that doesn't work I'm stuck and have missed a red card.
Again though, thats not the question. The question is have you ever not given red when you know it should be red. I would argue in your case you had every intention of giving the red. You just lost the player. You didnt deliberately opt for an alternative sanction or none I presume if you lost the player.
For example I have never, even in my early days not given a red card for dogso handball. I might have made an error of judgement and in the opinion of another referee made an incorrect call but that would have been an honest mistake. Not one where I have deliberately thought thats a red card but hey I am going to give yellow.
Yes we all make mistakes, there is not a referee alive who has 100% decision accuracy in a full game nevermind their season or career. But, to the best of my knowledge have never seen a red card offence and knowingly not awarded a red card.

Not sure of my exact stats but i'd guess i've had about 100 red card signed sealed and delivered to players. I've probably missed a few too, i'd probably go back and deliver a few more if I could re-ref a few games, I was generally dealing with complete bell***s though, they didn't care what they did or who they upset, cards never changed them, they were an inconvenient truth and i delivered more than most!!! I had to out**** the *****........ It reminds me of that Steve Coogan Song.... DO NOT PLAY IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED....

My issue with being a new ref is, am I dishing out too many cards

I have reffed 5 games and issued 3 reds 4 yellows

The reds were right fighting and dissent, but when I could have given other yellows in games it plays on my mind about how many I am giving out, like fouls I could give yellows but I talk to them and give the fouls but not too sure to give the yellow.

Also swearing if it’s not aimed at me or anyone else I have just been having a word, should I be cautioning for that ?

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm struggling to see the link between sin bins and not sending a player off for DOGSO.
Yeah, I didn't explain it too well I guess. The option of giving a yellow here garuanteed that the offending team remained with ten men (ladies?) for the remainder of the game, while the foul required an obvious red. It was just my way of not giving the red card because I thought the game had been fair up until that point. Had there not been the sin bins I wouldn't have had a choice and certainly given the red card. As much as I don't like the sin bins, it's just as much my fault, let that be clear.

The reds were right fighting and dissent, but when I could have given other yellows in games it plays on my mind about how many I am giving out, like fouls I could give yellows but I talk to them and give the fouls but not too sure to give the yellow.

Also swearing if it’s not aimed at me or anyone else I have just been having a word, should I be cautioning for that ?

That obviously depends on you, in the Netherlands we're quite lenient on swearing since most swear words are diseases. (okay that sentence is weird) Only cancer and obvious OFFINABUS are sanctioned here so a chat, to me, seems perfectly fine. I don't know how you lot across the pond deal with swearing though.

That obviously depends on you, in the Netherlands we're quite lenient on swearing since most swear words are diseases. (okay that sentence is weird) Only cancer and obvious OFFINABUS are sanctioned here so a chat, to me, seems perfectly fine. I don't know how you lot across the pond deal with swearing though.
Dont open that Pandoras box poor Jorick!!!

The laws were specifically changed to remove "foul" language as a red card offence, which most people have interpreted to mean that simply saying a swear word is not a red card offence. That red card offence is now when bad language is used with the intent/effect of causing offence, or used in an abusive or insulting manner. So for general swearing, I probably wouldn't even bother having a word personally, as what can I do if they keep on going?

I probably wouldn't even bother having a word personally, as what can I do if they keep on going?
If you've specifically chosen to clearly have a word with someone about excessive bad language and then they carry on regardless, you've set them up nicely for a YC for dissent. Certainly not something I often do but it's there if you need it ...

One definite, 17 minutes into my first ever game (OA), on my own with no support from a mentor etc.

There was a handball on the line, I had a great view, didn’t lose the offender and immediately blew, awarded the PK and called the player over.

I took my notebook out, and for some reason I gave a warning rather than the red card. I still don’t know why, but my mind seemed to go blank at the time. Likely just caught up in the whole first game thing, rather than a conscious decision to ignore a mandatory red card.

There have been a few where I’ve decided to give a player already on a caution one final bite of the cherry, and opted to read them the riot act. But those were for borderline offences where it wasn’t a nailed on caution (in my opinion) so I wouldn’t say I bottled those, but rather made a judgement call on what I’d seen/heard at the time.

We all make mistakes, either through a lack of experience, ignorance (not being aware of law changes etc), or other factors.

We all have periods where are heads aren’t in quite the right place, so we might not be paying enough attention, or our positioning might be out. Those are part and parcel of being human, and understandable.

But, there are referees out there who wilfully disregard the laws of the game, because they don’t want the hassle, are trying to look after their club marks etc. That’s what I do t understand.

Incidentally my best ever club marks came in a match where I had 1 red card for OFFINABUS after a player called one of his team mates a f***ing c**t.

There will be various times where you continuously run decisions through your mind after the game but you never blame yourself for something which happens in a different game. The player you could have sent off breaking someone’s leg in a different game is totally irrelevant. You could send someone off and their replacement the following week could do the same thing.

Reactions: one
Butterfly Effect, great movie.
Changing something you did wrong to avoid a bad future consequence could bring about a worse consequence.

Back