A&H

Double caution for dissent

The Referee Store
What would the procedure be for something like this where you use sin bins? Could you issue a double sin bin yellow and them allow the player to be replaced after 20 minutes? Or would you only give one sin bin in the hope it calms the player down?

Obviously in this match a sin bin would have achieved the same result as a red (apart from the subsequent ban)

Done this... not many times but it’s a great buzz when it’s happening. Relief that said player is no issue from that point! Bye bye, great decision

Something is not right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181004-173115.jpg
    Screenshot_20181004-173115.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 27
I love the look of absolute shock and innocence on his face! I'd imagine that with the look on the refs face from the first offence, the dissent was clear OFFINABUS, but unfortunately that gets ignored at the top level.

I've done this earlier this season. The player used the exact same words for the second yellow he received as he did for the first. He was bewildered that he received the 2nd yellow. I spoke to the captain and asked him if he thought that the keeper deserved a yellow for the first bit of dissent and he agreed that he did and when I explained that he repeated the exact same words 5 seconds later that I wouldn't have been consistent if I didn't give him another yellow. Couldn't, and didn't argue with me.

That's the thing with the word "consistency". It's used so often to berate referees that it's the best word to use in your defence :)

What would the procedure be for something like this where you use sin bins? Could you issue a double sin bin yellow and them allow the player to be replaced after 20 minutes? Or would you only give one sin bin in the hope it calms the player down?

Obviously in this match a sin bin would have achieved the same result as a red (apart from the subsequent ban)

In this situation it would be a yellow for 1st dissent and yellow for 2nd dissent. 20 minutes in the sin bin. After that time, the player cannot return but can be substituted if not all subs have been used. Or you could just upgrade to OFFINABUS depending on words or gestures used.....

What makes me laugh most about this is the standing ovation he gets from the fans. If my keeper got sent off for something so stupid the last thing i would be doing is clapping him off the pitch........embarrassing!!!

In this situation it would be a yellow for 1st dissent and yellow for 2nd dissent. 20 minutes in the sin bin. After that time, the player cannot return but can be substituted if not all subs have been used. Or you could just upgrade to OFFINABUS depending on words or gestures used.....
I'm not sure that's correct? Once the first card is shown, the player is effectively "in the sin bin" from that moment forwards, even if he stands in the exact same spot. And once in the sin bin:
A temporarily dismissed player who commits a cautionable (YC) or sending-off (RC) offence during their temporary dismissal period will take no further part in the match and may not be replaced or substituted

I'm not sure that's correct? Once the first card is shown, the player is effectively "in the sin bin" from that moment forwards, even if he stands in the exact same spot. And once in the sin bin:

Ahh ok... I missed that bit and just read up on it again. Thank you for correcting me.

Learn something new everyday!

A temporarily dismissed player who commits a cautionable (YC) or sending-off (RC) offence during their temporary dismissal period will take no further part in the match and may not be replaced or substituted

i know very little about sin bins so i'm playing with words a little here...but, surely in this instance the player has not committed either a red or yellow card offence, he has committed a sinbinnable (is that a word now?!) offence, so is that different?!

1. Sin bins apply to dissent in the 11 aside able bodied football in grass roots, and includes all age groups in youth football.. and open age..
It could be subject to change in the future though.. next season 2019-2020 Sin bins will be mandatory in grass roots football.
2. Sin bins are written in law for the English version of small sided football 5, 6 and 7 aside player indoors or outdoors..
3. Sin bins are used in some disability football and walking football which is in its development stages with English F.A.
4. You also need to check competition rules..
5. Blue cards used for sin binning in English small sided football. Same in some disability football and in walking football..

6. Please do search the thread on this website for the allogarithms/flow chart which another referee placed here recently..

7. Forgive ones spelling and do hope this information is useful..

i know very little about sin bins so i'm playing with words a little here...but, surely in this instance the player has not committed either a red or yellow card offence, he has committed a sinbinnable (is that a word now?!) offence, so is that different?!
Maybe. You still show a yellow card for a sin bin though, so I'd argue that sin binning is a subset of YC offences, rather than something distinct?

Hi GraemeS
Thanks for the reply... oh please do not argue..
Debate is the word lol....
Blue cards are used in other types of Football... whether they will be used as the blue colour in the 11 aside able bodied game for sinbinning offences time will show..
Blue cards as mentioned earlier are used exactly like yellow cards in some other types of football I mentioned but the differences are sinbinning....

Maybe. You still show a yellow card for a sin bin though, so I'd argue that sin binning is a subset of YC offences, rather than something distinct?
But a sin bin + a caution doesn't make a RC so you could argue that it's not a subset of YC offences. Needless to say it's not very clear

But a sin bin + a caution doesn't make a RC so you could argue that it's not a subset of YC offences. Needless to say it's not very clear
Good evening Trueman1991
Yes well said but like many
decisions in the beautiful game.. It is open to the
Interpretations of the Law based on what the referee/referees seen..

Good evening Trueman1991
Yes well said but like many
decisions in the beautiful game.. It is open to the
Interpretations of the Law based on what the referee/referees seen..
I have to disagree strongly with this: lots of the LOTG is subjective and has to be so by necessity, because it's difficult to write a book that describes in detail every possible thing that could happen on a football pitch. This is a situation where you've shown two consecutive cards and there SHOULD be a clear correct answer, because it's a very distinct situation that will happen.

If you've given two yellow cards, there is a "correct" follow-up action. The fact that many refs don't know what the follow-up action is is a failing of the writing of the LOTG, and I don't think we should let the writers off!

Back