A&H

Euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard of this convention, and I like it (especially at higher age groups).
1) Referee always signals out of bounds items in his/her quadrant.
2) If it's an obvious OOB in the AR's quadrant, no need for R to signal.
3) R signals on any close/disputed items in the AR's quadrant.

It's true that there's no need to signal a goal kick when the attacker hammers a ball 15 feet over the bar with no one within 15 yards of him. The dual signal by R and AR can show team unity and support on those disputed plays.
This is basically what the US Guide to Procedures said back when we had it, with the exception that (3) was more limited--only if correcting the AR signal. But it seemed most refs signaled most TIs anyway (echoing the AR signal in the AR quadrant). Over signalling by the R can be useful in younger games--and I found it hard to break the habit, so I still over signal TIs on older games.

The Referee Store
That'll be right. Totally and utterly stupid

FWIW, TV Refs signal differently and rightly so; they have the stadium and TV audience in mind
One thing I've noticed in the Euros, is Refs constantly pointing at a foul. We know where the foul occurred thanks!
Also, whistle tone, almost everything gets a blast that is prolonged by normal expectation. Everyone needs to hear the whistle I guess

They usually point at the location after they have played advantage. And that is the other big difference at senior levels, at L4 and below you are expected to signal advantage and then pull it back if necessary. Once you get to L3 you are told not to signal it until it has accrued, which is why you end up pointing at the location as you are indicating it was for the first foul.

We're a minute underway and we've already had a potential SPA (although these have consistently been let off with a warning during this tournament) and two quite rough English fouls. Looking to be feisty, and Makkelie probably the best ref in the world to handle this one. Looking forward to the game!

Edit: and a quite serious appeal for a backpass, what a beginning to this semi!

It's a backpass. It also goes to show how much the spirit of that law has retreated since the change in the 90s has done it's intended goal of removing the slowing of the game down with passes to the GK.

If he has given that foul, considering a lot were doing it in that massive huddle, then I hope he is consistent when they do it at the other end.

Couple of strong SPA yellow cases, especially the one on Kane less than 25m from goal.

I don't think the "backpass" was a deliberate pass to the GK. I would like Foden on for Saka right now please Gareth ;)

They usually point at the location after they have played advantage. And that is the other big difference at senior levels, at L4 and below you are expected to signal advantage and then pull it back if necessary. Once you get to L3 you are told not to signal it until it has accrued, which is why you end up pointing at the location as you are indicating it was for the first foul.
That's interesting that there is a formal distinction made by level between the two ways to decide when to signal. I suppose there is some logic to it--at lower levels there is more value in the "I saw it and am trying to see if there is really advantage" method as players may be less attuned to advantage, whereas the higher level players understand the concept well, so just waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back