A&H

Open Age Events leading up to kick off.

dylan22

Level 7 Referee
Hello again chaps,

So I've got my first 'proper' actual league this Sunday and then another league game the following Tuesday night however I'm just trying to get it correct in my mind the things I need to do prior to kick off. I hope you won't mind my posting, what may be, a long list of questions, but my mentor is being non-existent (again).

I haven't yet heard from the team's secretary re. this Sunday, should I get in touch with them or hold fire? - I know where the pitch is etc. and I'm planning to get there about 45 mins before so I've got that sorted.

I'll introduce myself to the managers, but - and this will sound stupid - should I ask for the match fee right there? I know I'll probably forget otherwise? Then check the field, nets, ball when I warm up.

Does anyone say anything specific or have a specific way of doing the jewellery/boot check and respect handshake? - I've done two charity games, where neither of those were particularly necessary.

I know I'm being picky with my questions but I'm feeling a bit nervous and was wondering if anyone had any specific order or ways of doing things?

Thanks in advance,

D

The Referee Store
Hi @Dylan,

There are a number of existing replies on pre-kick off routines, so I would have a search around for more assistance. But dealing with things in order.

• If your mentor not being there for you, contact the RDO at the county. The mentors have put themselves forward to assist new referees though their early matches and if they can't/won't assist, the county needs to know as soon as possible. You may be put with a different mentor. Also consider asking your local RA if they have a referee available to come out with you. In York, the RA is high profile with new referees doing open age matches.
  • Clubs don't have to contact you normally until three days before kick-off to confirm appointment, so hold fire until Wednesday evening. As you are a new referee, they may not have your contact details yet so will require the Ref Sec to let them have them. Have you got a copy of the League rules? as you will need to them for substitutes, etc.
  • 45 is about the right time for attending. Give you time to get settled and focused on the match.
  • The league rules will say if you are to be paid before or after the match. Most Sec won't have the funds to pay you until they have collected some subs in. However, don't wait too long afterwards to be paid. If your mentor comes (? :ninja: ), then he will know more about your league
  • Players are aware of the boots and jewellery checks. Deal with properly and either as they come out the changing rooms or on the FOP before kickoff. Also sock tape! it has been around for 6 years, so players cannot act stupid "I didn't know" anymore.
  • RESPECT Handshake - see league rules
And let us know how it goes?

What county are you in?

HI Dylan,

Not sure where you're based and what the norms are surrounding when teams give you your match fee, but I'll give you an idea of what I do up here in Scotland and if applicable you can take some pointers.

I'll usually arrive about 45/60 minutes prior to kick off and introduce myself to the manager of the home club to let him know I've arrived. Find my way to my changing room, relax for a few minutes before heading straight out for a pitch inspection before anyone else even goes near the pitch. After that, I'll head back inside and begin to get my equipment out of my bag, and change into warm up gear.

Around 30 minutes before kick off, I'll then request teamsheets and match fees from both clubs, as well as a match ball. If for some reason they're not ready with the teamsheet, I'll give them a maximum of 10 more minutes. Once I have both teamsheets, I'll hand a copy of the opponent's teamsheet to each club, and then begin to write player details into my book.

Around 20 minutes before kick-off I'll head out for a warm-up, and then come back in about 10 minutes before kick off, put on my jersey and double check I have everything I need. 5 minutes before kick-off, I'll then check the equipment of the players. It's great if they too have came back into the changing rooms as it's more convenient - but if they've stayed out on the pitch then just ask the manager to bring them in so you can have a quick check.

Hope this helps somewhat, and all the best for your first league match, let us know how you get on :)

Hi again @dylan22 ! As others have said, there are a few threads around on managing the pre-match stuff - this is a good recent one, which includes a post full of my helpful tips as well! http://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/managing-the-before-match-stuff.8055/

Specifically regarding your questions - match fee I tend to leave up to them unless I know I'm going to have to leave on time. Managers know that the punishments for trying to get away without paying are pretty severe, as well as the fact it won't leave a good impression if you come back and referee them again, so I'd be shocked if they try and get away without paying. If they don't come up and offer at the final whistle, that's the time to ask. And as @lincs22 says, some league rules say fees must be paid in advance anyway.

I personally like to have a quick chat with the teams about my expectations pre-match, so will keep an eye out for a lull in their warm-up and do the chat, followed by kit check at that point. I'd also say at this point that if you do another charity match, I wouldn't neglect any of this. With all due respect to both you and Edward, at the level you're likely to be starting at, things like team sheets, separate match balls and even changing rooms are often considered optional! Know your league rules and you'll have fewer nasty surprises.

So much of this comes down to competition rules it is difficult to say what you should be doing before the game. There will likely be rules about match balls, team sheets, and even possibly what time you need to be at the ground.

Disagreeing with GraemeS, I personally wouldn't advocate doing a chat with the team about expectations. Rather I will talk to the captains at the toss and they can choose whether or not to take that back to their team. I just think doing a talk to the whole team potentially sets you up for a fall and is generally best avoided, although this is just my opinion and I'm not saying that talking to the whole team is wrong.

If you do choose to talk to the players, and when you check their equipment, make sure you do it when it suits them rather than you. I've seen referees interrupt a structured warm up to demand all the players come to him, and I've seen one referee insist on doing it as the manager was in the middle of his pre match team talk. That isn't on, and is guaranteed to get you (and your club mark ..!) off on the wrong footing before you have even blown a whistle in anger, so try to plan it out. Speak to the manager / captain when you first arrive and ask them when they would like to do it, you are then earning browny points already.

Thanks again, for the comments, guys. Very much appreciated and all very helpful.

I've now been sent a copy of the league rules, and re. the match fees, it states that it should be paid either before or straight after the match. Also, I've received an email from the club's secretary re. the venue etc. So everything's come together nicely, I think I'm just a bit nervous is all. But again, all the comments are greatly appreciated, and @GraemeS I've had a look at that thread too which is also really helpful. So thanks again, guys and I'll let you know how it goes!

With a view to the match fee, think about how secure the venue is. If it doesn't look very secure, or you have to take everything out to the pitch with you, would you rather be looking after the match fee yourself or would you rather someone from the club keeps hold of it and pays you after?

Yes, very true, Rusty, and that's certainly something I'll keep in mind for the future.

I suppose that now raises of the question of what to do with my kit bag? - Obviously I could put it in my car, but then what do I do with the keys? Or do you chaps usually just put it on the side of the pitch and not worry? - That is, if there aren't changing rooms.

With a view to the match fee, think about how secure the venue is. If it doesn't look very secure, or you have to take everything out to the pitch with you, would you rather be looking after the match fee yourself or would you rather someone from the club keeps hold of it and pays you after?
I noticed that there was a brief stint of all leagues requiring the match fee to be paid before the game. Now they all seem to state before or 'immediately after'.

If the changing rooms aren't secure (i.e public park) or there aren't any, I keep everything in my bag next to the pitch. I try to keep it near to a teams as it adds some safety as most teams aren't going to note which is my bag. I'd have my phone, wallet and car keys in there. I feel my phone and wallet are safer there than in my car. Not far from me we had some thieves target cars parked next to pitches on a Sunday morning.

Hi @Dylan,

There are a number of existing replies on pre-kick off routines, so I would have a search around for more assistance. But dealing with things in order.

• If your mentor not being there for you, contact the RDO at the county. The mentors have put themselves forward to assist new referees though their early matches and if they can't/won't assist, the county needs to know as soon as possible. You may be put with a different mentor. Also consider asking your local RA if they have a referee available to come out with you. In York, the RA is high profile with new referees doing open age matches.
  • Clubs don't have to contact you normally until three days before kick-off to confirm appointment, so hold fire until Wednesday evening. As you are a new referee, they may not have your contact details yet so will require the Ref Sec to let them have them. Have you got a copy of the League rules? as you will need to them for substitutes, etc.
  • 45 is about the right time for attending. Give you time to get settled and focused on the match.
  • The league rules will say if you are to be paid before or after the match. Most Sec won't have the funds to pay you until they have collected some subs in. However, don't wait too long afterwards to be paid. If your mentor comes (? :ninja: ), then he will know more about your league
  • Players are aware of the boots and jewellery checks. Deal with properly and either as they come out the changing rooms or on the FOP before kickoff. Also sock tape! it has been around for 6 years, so players cannot act stupid "I didn't know" anymore.
  • RESPECT Handshake - see league rules
And let us know how it goes?

What county are you in?

I was allocated a mentor when I first started. He was a member of our local School of Excellence and of course that meant he was an active referee and, consequently, only saw me referee once. This once was during my 2nd season when I'd progressed to open age but he decided to come watch a one off U14 quarter final I'd been given. As you can imagine, giving me advice on junior football wasn't overly helpful. He never 'officially' stopped being my mentor, I just eventually gave up with him. Don't think he's even refereeing anymore, but I think appointing SofE referees as mentors provided a fundamental issue and those that aren't refereeing anymore unfortunately aren't always up to date on the laws and best practice.

I noticed that there was a brief stint of all leagues requiring the match fee to be paid before the game. Now they all seem to state before or 'immediately after'.

If the changing rooms aren't secure (i.e public park) or there aren't any, I keep everything in my bag next to the pitch. I try to keep it near to a teams as it adds some safety as most teams aren't going to note which is my bag. I'd have my phone, wallet and car keys in there. I feel my phone and wallet are safer there than in my car. Not far from me we had some thieves target cars parked next to pitches on a Sunday morning.
Agree with this, although I'd avoid going too close to a team's bags - I've had a team innocently pick up my bag and add it to their pile before when I left it too close! Also, you don't want to be put in the awkward position of hearing them slag you off if you've had a difficult first half...

If both teams set up on the same side (and if so, this will always be the side nearest the car park/changing rooms), I put my bag on the half way line on the opposite touchline. If they set up on opposite sides, go near a corner flag or to the side of one of the goals.

Agree with this, although I'd avoid going too close to a team's bags - I've had a team innocently pick up my bag and add it to their pile before when I left it too close! Also, you don't want to be put in the awkward position of hearing them slag you off if you've had a difficult first half...

If both teams set up on the same side (and if so, this will always be the side nearest the car park/changing rooms), I put my bag on the half way line on the opposite touchline. If they set up on opposite sides, go near a corner flag or to the side of one of the goals.

You must referee at very secure grounds. Put your bag by the corner flag, or even behind a goal, at Hackney Marshes and it will have been liberated withing two minutes of kick off ..!

You must referee at very secure grounds. Put your bag by the corner flag, or even behind a goal, at Hackney Marshes and it will have been liberated withing two minutes of kick off ..!
Haha, I think I benefit from refereeing matches where I'm lucky if 22 people turn up - there's usually no one spare to do any thieving!

True story: when I had first met my wife but before we married she came to watch me play football (back in the day!)

As a team, we used to take our valuables out of the changing room and put them in a couple of bags near our goal for safety.

My wife-to-be arrived about 10 mins after kick off. This was still early days in our romance, so most of my teammates had yet to meet her. She wandered out to the pitch side, a lone spectator on a windy February Sunday morning.

Spotted by Kenny, our left back, he called out in his Scottish brogue "Jim [our keeper], grab our bags and put them in the goal." Pointing at my beloved he added: "I think she's going nick our stuff".

We've now been happily married for twenty years, but she never came to watch me play again after that!

if i'm taking my bag out to leave by the side of the pitch i'll always keep a bin bag handy in case it rains and needs covering up

Back