A&H

FA cup final referee

The Referee Store
Congratulations and Good luck to him. The pinnacle of any referees career, particularly one not involved with the International stage

I am really surprised Pawson isn't the ref, he is absolutely the most qualified ref (that could be appointed).

I am really surprised Pawson isn't the ref, he is absolutely the most qualified ref (that could be appointed).
Pawson has years ahead of him being relatively new to SG1. We are fast running out of eligible refs so makes sense for friend to have it this year as he is, I assume, drawing towards the end of his career savi g Pawson as a more experienced hand when the PGMOL are a little light of it in a couple of years

Pawson has years ahead of him being relatively new to SG1. We are fast running out of eligible refs so makes sense for friend to have it this year as he is, I assume, drawing towards the end of his career savi g Pawson as a more experienced hand when the PGMOL are a little light of it in a couple of years

i think you're spot on. they see this as an 'easier game' when next years could be united v liverpool so dont want to waste pawson on this when, if they do use him, they could be in a real spot of bother next year having to appoint a ref who's done very few top 4 v top 4 games.

The above reasoning bothers me a bit. I understand the reasoning but I don't agree with it. The best performing referee for the season (on current form) should get the game. Now if that is the same referee from last year and the year before and is only 34 years only then so be it.

Would the FA says Watford never won the FA cup so they should get it this year?

The above reasoning bothers me a bit. I understand the reasoning but I don't agree with it. The best performing referee for the season (on current form) should get the game. Now if that is the same referee from last year and the year before and is only 34 years only then so be it.

i 100% agree with that as well. if it's oliver every year, or alternates between 2 or 3 top refs because they're consistently the best then that has to be the preferred option

I genuinely don't see what apparently the entire forum see in Michael Oliver.
Webb & Clattenberg (both FAR superior refs) didn't get this much love (and their dad wasn't their RDO)

The one FA Cup final only rule has been in for decades, I can't see it changing any time soon.

Can an official (including assistants/4th) get an FA Cup Final more than once?

Can an official (including assistants/4th) get an FA Cup Final more than once?

I think it is no for assistants, but someone who is 4th official can go onto get the middle. Just as reserve assistants can go onto become assistant.

I think it is no for assistants, but someone who is 4th official can go onto get the middle. Just as reserve assistants can go onto become assistant.
Steve Bennett has the full set - AR 1995, 4th Official 2001 and Referee 2007, as does Graham Barber. That's not likely to happen again because of having to choose between the line and the middle.

Steve Bennett has the full set - AR 1995, 4th Official 2001 and Referee 2007, as does Graham Barber. That's not likely to happen again because of having to choose between the line and the middle.
Very good knowledge!

Good knowledge, although I guess it's theoretically possible to be a top AR, do your cup final and then drop back to level 3 and work your way back to the top as a ref over the course of 15-20 years?

Back