A&H

Fifa to take VAR off ifab?

The Referee Store
Any change in how VAR is applied has to be a positive.

But yes, how they go about implementing it is interesting.

Before, the mistakes were because of political interference with how the laws say VAR should work.
Now, the mistakes will be because of FIFA's political interference. Clearly this is preferable, FIFA has no trouble with corruption.

This may be a rumour but if it is not it is typical of football bodies, and FIFA is leading by example.

For example I am fairly certain the reason EPL does not use OFR is because the FA didn't want to not because PGMOL didn't want to.

This may be a rumour but if it is not it is typical of football bodies, and FIFA is leading by example.

For example I am fairly certain the reason EPL does not use OFR is because the FA didn't want to not because PGMOL didn't want to.
I'd have to disagree with that. It seems it was because the PL or PGMOL didn't want to. The FA actually ordered it to be used in their competitions. The first time an OFR happened was in the FA Cup

I'm happy to be corrected. But I don't think either of us has any proof. Keep in mind PL is a football body and if they were the ones who didn't want it then my point still stands.

Tbf it's widely reported thay pgmol instructed refs to use the monitors sparingly. Whether that was because thats what the PL asked or whether their own take on matter is not clear.
I'm pretty certain I read an article as well at FA cup 3rd round that said the FA had instructed their use.
For FA comps they are the appointing body not PGMOL so they are able to instruct them accordingly, even if that isn't in line with what PGMOL wanted.

How can FIFA revoke IFAB's authority WRT any aspect of the LOTG?
I suppose FIFA can choose to run their competitions to any set of rules they like - it just happens that they've always gone with the LOTG as written by IFAB. Although tightly knit together, they've always technically been separate bodies with the possibility of disagreements. Just no previous version of FIFA has ever been stupid enough to try it when it's much easier just to lean on IFAB to make the changes they want.

I think this is unlikely - even FIFA should have the foresight to see the benefits of an independent law-making body, and that undermining them on this aspect is going to have consequences. This might be a negotiating tactic or it might be RefSupport's twitter making things up. But I doubt this is seriously what's going to end up happening.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how this works out as far as the LOTG goes. Would they take it out of the LOTG into a seperate document or will FIFA dictate to IFAB what to put in the LOTG. The latter is a dangerous path.

'We are proud that the introduction of VARs has been a universal success'

Says it all

Reactions: one
'We are proud that the introduction of VARs has been a universal success'

Says it all
And they are 99.8% sure of it.

But seriously, if it has been such a success why take it IFAB? Don't mess with success .

Saw this elsewhere and it seems the rumourmill is saying this is the PL's fault for trying to be different about implementing it, so FIFA are stepping in to twist everyone's arm so it gets enforced the same worldwide.

Who knows? Would be amusing if it is true, bit of a backfire really.

I'm not sure the RS UK post is accurate. IFAB set the laws, they don't have any day to day operational management of them. I read it more that FIFA are fed up of individual associations tweaking the VAR rules and guidelines, and by that I of course mean the Premier League. So FIFA will play hard ball and say you either operate it this way or you don't operate it all all, which seems perfectly fine to me. IFAB will still define laws, including those related to VAR, FIFA will just take a more active role in policing its use.

And after tonight, where the PL have come out and said that VAR decisions in all three games were incorrect, they don't really have a leg to stand on.

That BBC article about the pens finished with this:

“In addition, rules around handball, offside and goalkeepers standing on their lines for penalty kicks will all be dealt with through Fifa, with clarification expected for next season which individual leagues will be expected to adhere to.”

I don’t know what it means.

But it seems bad.

Overall, it seems like IFAB has been pressured into reluctantly making far too many law changes recently in addition to fundamentally rewriting the book. And now the fallout :(

Seems like this might have always been the plan I reading into some of the later articles so perhaps not as in the know as they are making out.

Back