A&H

First game this Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
What s stupid decision to give you a tasty one first time out.... anyone with half a brain wouldn’t have done that by choice!

The Referee Store
Hi all

My god where do I start with this game! It was one of the most challenging things I have ever had to do in my life I will try and go through it in order and would welcome any advice!

Game was due to KO 1:30 and I arrived at 12:00pm which was a bit early I know. My referee tutor phoned me at about 12:10pm with some words of encouragement and that he was coming to the game. He did however state I couldn't have picked a worse game to start on for any game in the North East! They were two pub teams from very rough estates and it was going to be a very very difficult game to ref and boy was it! I will list below the match incidents and then some positives and negative comments on them without trying to bore everyone.

Match incidents:

To start this game should have finished with about 10 yellows and 2 reds!

Firstly, both CBs for the blue team were absolutely awful and literally challenged nearly every offside and free kick decision I made all game. They were swearing at me, calling me ****, terible etc, trying to bully and intimidate me ALL game and challenged everything in a violent manner. I warned them throughout the match but only booked one of them for dissent (I will get onto this later as it should have been red) but I really wish I did as they would have made it easier to manage the match. Match started off without much incident however that soon changed when I gave my first out of three penalties in the match. The first penalty was a blatant foul however the blue team felt he was offside which I didn't agree with. I SHOULD have yellow carded here for DOGSO with an attempt to tackle the ball however I didn't do this (feedback point). Penalty was missed and game restarted with a corner.

Straight after this incident one of the red team's players was clearly fuming at the decision and as him and another blue player were running after the ball he lashed out at the blue team player and kicked him in the shin. Now I know this should have been RED for violent conduct but I felt I was losing control of the game already (15 mins in) and I just gave a yellow for a reckless challenge. The game continues and then I award a penalty for the red team, cue all the blue team players going ballistic and surrounding me. Again I keep my cards in my pocked when I should have booked for dissent. Despite all of this I still felt in control of the game and got the majority of decisions correct especially the throw ins/corners/goal kicks/free kicks.

Second half and this is where it really goes downhill as I lose confidence / match control.

I mistakenly gave a thrown in to the red team when I couldn't see it fully go out (I know I shouldn't have but the guy I gave the flag to was just dreadful and didn't make any decisions) it looked out so I gave it. Cue the CB who I spoke about previously going ballsitc, calling me a f**cking idiot, terrible etc. I should have obviously booked him now but I just gave him a warning. Then I gave my third penalty of the game and this time, i admit that this was more contentious and i was probably too far away to award the penalty as i didn't see it properly but it was a last ditch challenge where i felt he didn't get the ball. it was met with even more dissent by the yellow team, I honestly thought the CB was going to hit me he was that angry.I brought him over and told him to calm down. Whilst getting my yellow out he called me a cheat which again I should have Red carded but felt I would have completely lost the game so just booked him. Red team scored and I get surrounded.

By this point I just wanted to get off the field as the abuse was getting out of hand. I was arguing with their players over the offside rule which I would like to explain and hopefully get an answer on.

Player is in an offside position just after half way line, CB boots it towards the penalty box and he chases it, I don't give the offside until he interferes with play I.E touches the ball which meant the free kick was to be taken from the penalty box (where the incident happened) rather than just after the halfway line. I get a load of abuse for this again and my mentor said I should have given the free kick at the halfway line but Im still unsure about that.

Anyway, play continues and the final major incident happens. Player is in an offside positions runs towards the ball BUT moves away from it when a player on his team in an onside position comes and takes over. However, the original offside player bumped into the Left Back and they score from the incident. Thinking about it now it is an offside as he has interfered with an opponent but I gave a goal. Cue all their players and the goalkeeper storming out and giving me absolute hell - I book three players in this one incident for dissent as I had enough at this point. Game finishes and I get some hand shakes but some players sarcastically stated "good game ref" etc.

Looking back it was one of the hardest things ive ever done and I have learnt so much from it. There are positives such as I hardly got challenged on goal kicks, corners or throw ins so got the majority of decisions correct In law, but it was one of those games full of incidents with all the players on each team violently challenging each decision. I know what to do next time (more cards for dissent for a start) and to make sure im 100% sure for penalties and to keep an eye on offside (very difficult with no AR) but it really was a horrible game to manage.

I have an u15s game Saturday which im hoping is easier. I have attached my mentors comment to this post.

Thanks
Jonathan
This is the main reason i advocate a few juniour games 1st. Adult games can be very tough and alot easier to lose match control in than juniour.

That said, well done. Mainly for this self reflection. You know what went well and what didnt and what to work on.

Re: calling for offside... it never stops. My way of dealing with this is calling "onside, keep playing" for close calls.
Persistent disagreement is dealt with vianl the stepped approach. B*****ing, booking, bath. We rarely get to bath as they tend to learn quickly. Some not so quickly and they make it all the way to the changing rooms.

You made the correct decision regarding placement of the offside idfk.

You've recognised situations where disciplinary sanctions would aid match control.

Fwiw this sounds like one of the harder games you'll have so it will get better from here.

If you want to try something a little more low key where you can work on things such as positioning try and get a coupe of juniour games.

Then, try and get some assistant referee appointments on a local supply league. This will allow ypu to work alongside more experienced colleagues and the learning you'll get from that is invaluable.

Reactions: one
What s stupid decision to give you a tasty one first time out.... anyone with half a brain wouldn’t have done that by choice!
i totally agree the match sec or appointments officer should never have given you that game, the good thing about reading your post is you are identifying where you went wrong which is much easier to help you with, than a referee thinking they had a smashing game,
as i tell the young referees i look after, we dont give you these shiney red/yellow cards to keep in your pocket, you will know the next time, keep at it and remember there are plenty of experienced referees on here happy to give some advice

Awful first assignment. Ref Sec not interested in keeping referees??

As everyone has said - well done on a super tough assignment. OA is not always that bad. Great post as you already identified most of the issues we would comment on - only thing I would really emphasis is the cards for dissent, offinabus, and violent conduct. You held back hoping to help with match control...holding back does the opposite. Players know the sanctions and when they see referees not willing to pull the trigger they know they can push further and harder...then when you finally do pull a card you are “inconsistent”. 99/100 times, for whatever it is, if your first thought is card, give it. You’ll be amazed what an early yellow for dissent will do to calm players down.

I think my first red in an OA game came after about 20 minutes..... swiftly followed by the second just before half time. :devil:.. I really was chucked in the deep end with a nightmare match (Like OP) but hey, throwing a punch is a red card and calling me a c*** is also one so if I spoiled the game then... GOOD!!! :angel::asshat:

I echo the comments around why the hell your appointment sec would give you a game like that first up, most of the secs in my neck of the woods know which games are likely to be "tasty" and tend to appoint to them accordingly.

However those are the types of game that you learn so much from and I guarantee you'll look back on the game over your time as a referee and it will be one you would love to do again.

Don't beat yourself up about it, focus on the positives and think about what you could have done differently for the next game.

Often, teams will press the referee to see how much they can get away with. If you've got situations where there is a lot of dissent, give a nice public warning first up (I like to make sure its nice and loud so all the players can hear it, that way you're being clear on what you won't accept) and then the next time, bang, get the offender in the book. Its amazing that by doing that many of the players who will be tempted to give you verbals will wind their neck in and not risk a card.

If a player commits a Red Card offence, don't worry about the time gone, or the score, you have to dismiss them. Easier said then done when you are in that environment and doing your first game, but chalk it up as one that got away.

Finally - well done and welcome to the wonderful world of being a qualified referee! If your first game hasn't scared you off, then I'm sure you'll have a great career!

Well done! Brilliant that you were so aware of the incidents. And it's clear you know now to deal with dissent immediately.

Massive respect. My advice just do more games. That you managed that, with all those incidents suggests you are already a star after one game! Do more. I reckon it gets much more rewarding the more games you do and the further you go. Good luck!

Brilliant you got through it and you've already started reflecting on what you did wrong and how you'll be different next time.
I'll tell you straight though that the reluctance to use your cards did not help your match control........being soft rarely does. It would have been great to read you had dismissed one of those centre backs in the first fifteen minutes......I think you know you should have done.
Any way, onwards and upwards, be better next time.

Agree with all the above - almost every ref starts out a little slow to bring out the cards, and almost everyone quickly realises that all that does is condone bad behaviour. Well done on getting through it, at least you know fate owes you an easy one next weekend!

Reactions: one
I doubt the refsec made this appoint by choice/design... In most cases a deliberate attempt is made to avoid them but one or two slip under the radar.

@Jono333
Some afterthoughts on the offside call your mentor was 'incorrect' about. Is it possible that he actually knew the new law by you misunderstood him? Did the attacker in anyway interfere with opponents closer to the half way line before interfering with play in the PA?
Also if there is no chance of any other attacker getting to the ball, the advice is to blow for offside before making him run 40 yards (and a possible clash with keeper), which means the free kick will be closer to the half way line.

First of all, congratulations on completing your first game. Reads like a baptism of fire. Well done for completing
the game under very intimidating circumstances. Your confidence will grow with experience. Give yourself time to
develop your own style, and manage the game in a way that is comfortable to you. Always remember as long as you are correct in Law, and your interpretation is consistent you will do well. There are always " experts " on the sideline, and on the FOP who are very quick to offer their opinion. In time you will be able to block them out and they won't affect your performance. I'm sure your future games will be more enjoyable. Good Luck!

I just wanted to say thank you for all the brilliant feedback - ill definitely take this on board for this weekend and in the future ! :)

Don't listen to them Jono.... Most of them are half deaf and a bit blind players weekend spoilers!!! :) :pirate: Good luck in the next instalment!! Can't wait!! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back