A&H

First game with a mentor

The Referee Store
Why would you not have your shirt tucked in ?
You had to rise to the bait!?......... because I prefer to as I'm more comfortable with it that way and I even got promoted whilst dressed that way too...........

Much to the chagrin of most of my colleagues....

Line in the sand drawn, anyone causing this post to be closed with further references to shirts being tucked in WILL be having a break from the site. We are fed up of having to close topics due to people not behaving, and enough is enough.

Going beyond shirts, saying "when you are ready" to a player who is taking a restart can certainly be seen as risky. What if he takes ages, you ask him to hurry up and he turns round and says "you said when I was ready ref"? It makes you look a bit silly, so is a phrase that should be avoided. Stick to "yes please", "let's go please", "OK we are good to go please", etc.

"lets go" is probably my line too, along with a much more obvious one I picked up years ago at a tournament where we had guest referees from another country. They simply said "play".
I have stuck by that as for me it sounds universal and also encompasses a feeling for the game, to play.

Some of these observers do spout some nonsense
It's like secret tick boxes are invented to justify a criteria for promotion (and their own 'expertise'). Pedantic babble just doesn't do it for me
I have advised that on plenty of assessments but never deducted marks for it. Once you get the basics right then you should pay attention to small details.

For e.g. as advised to me by an assessor in my early years, every second or third corner kicks taken from the far side to AR, I run to the spot to check the placement. Every now and then I find a player deliberately placing the ball a yard or half a yard outside the arc. Small detail but it tells players you know your stuff.

"lets go" is probably my line too, along with a much more obvious one I picked up years ago at a tournament where we had guest referees from another country. They simply said "play".
I have stuck by that as for me it sounds universal and also encompasses a feeling for the game, to play.
I use "play" in Futsal. I have to use it a lot more often. Players are given 4 seconds for restarts (also goal keeper possession). The 4 second clause is strictly enforced (unlike 6 seconds in football). The word "play" marks the start of my 4 second count.

I have advised that on plenty of assessments but never deducted marks for it. Once you get the basics right then you should pay attention to small details.

For e.g. as advised to me by an assessor in my early years, every second or third corner kicks taken from the far side to AR, I run to the spot to check the placement. Every now and then I find a player deliberately placing the ball a yard or half a yard outside the arc. Small detail but it tells players you know your stuff.
Yeh, I like your point regarding the corner arc because these things are a question of fact and should be monitored
I'm not really on board with the 'when you're ready' thing however. This asserting a personal preference imo. A ref could go an entire lifetime without this causing a problem. For what's it's worth, I call out 'no whistle' in these instances

Yeh, I like your point regarding the corner arc because these things are a question of fact and should be monitored
I'm not really on board with the 'when you're ready' thing however. This asserting a personal preference imo. A ref could go an entire lifetime without this causing a problem. For what's it's worth, I call out 'no whistle' in these instances
As I said it only happened to me once and I changed my phrase. I have never seen it causing problems for anyone else but I do advise against using it. They either change it or continue using it. If they do continue using it then they have made an informed choice and are not caught by surprise if it happens.

Every assessor/observer gives advice. Some are black and white. Some are game management type. Form the latter, you take what you think would work for you and 'save' the rest just in case you want to use them in the future.

On this, whilst I agree that it's personal preference, I can also see that particular phrases are more helpful / less controversial in particular settings. Through advice from more senior referees and from this forum, the three changes that I've tried to implement over the past few years ....

1) On Throw Ins, tell players to 'start from there' rather than then 'take it there' ... that way, when he takes his run up, it doesn't look like he's ignoring you!
2) As above 'Yes please' or 'Away we go' rather than 'When you're ready' on non whistle free kicks
3) When any challenge will clearly be a foul because player is wrong side then either nothing at all or just 'Steady' rather than 'No Foul'. The latter could be seen as tipping over into advice rather than game management!

I'm sure there are others just as useful .... :)

On this, whilst I agree that it's personal preference, I can also see that particular phrases are more helpful / less controversial in particular settings. Through advice from more senior referees and from this forum, the three changes that I've tried to implement over the past few years ....

1) On Throw Ins, tell players to 'start from there' rather than then 'take it there' ... that way, when he takes his run up, it doesn't look like he's ignoring you!
2) As above 'Yes please' or 'Away we go' rather than 'When you're ready' on non whistle free kicks
3) When any challenge will clearly be a foul because player is wrong side then either nothing at all or just 'Steady' rather than 'No Foul'. The latter could be seen as tipping over into advice rather than game management!

'No Foul' is a call i need to drop. The players can easily misconstrue it to mean 'i haven't seen a foul', rather than 'don't foul'. Like you say, even the latter could cause problems. Near on impossible at times to gently coerce the players without such help being seen as bias

'No Foul' is a call i need to drop. The players can easily misconstrue it to mean 'i haven't seen a foul', rather than 'don't foul'. Like you say, even the latter could cause problems. Near on impossible at times to gently coerce the players without such help being seen as bias

Agreed.

The only one close to that, that I ever use is if I shout "hands down" if I see a bit of arm duelling that I feel might progress into having to award a free kick (but which way?). ;)

Can we pls not go there with the shirts.

Sounds sensible advice. Whistling too much gets players backs up. You dont need to whistle all restarts. If you have a look in the back of the book it lists all restarts that need a whistle..anything else use body language and voice.

Also good advice on the cautioning technique. If you are cautioning a foul tackle then there is a chance there is at least one other unhappy player. Taking your time gives them the chance to count to ten and calm down before play resumes. Reducing the chances of another bad tackle straight after and the game going south

And the reason for not whistling either to give a corner or for one to be taken is that it isn't a restart as play hasn't stopped .- which is why there is no whistle for throw ins either. Why the current vogue at the top levels for using the whistle to give a corner I have no idea - lets not go down the 'Why DO they do that in the PL?' route...………….. again!

I mentioned about a year ago Mark Clattenburg blew to restart on every corner
I would say to the mentor if its good enough for him, then its good enough for you
I have noticed Oliver doing it too of late
I personally don't see the need but those 2 guys know a bit more than me.

To give it you mean or to take it?

Seen it often to signal for a corner, but not for it to be taken (Unless play 'stopped' to have that meaningless chat about pushing and shoving of course;))

I ran a line for a referee the other night (L4) who gave a double blast of his whistle for each free kick.

Interesting - Certainly in the Championship games I see live -in person! - over 20 per season - its rare for a signal to be given to take one - apart from in the scenario mentioned in my post above.

At first I thought i was making it up but no, esp in his last season, every corner got a whistle restart....Oliver has started doing it, not every one, but, on ones where I don't see why.

I picked up a couple for #3 over the years from other referees that I have adopted
"Be smart" "smart here" and "I'm here" are all good reminders that I'm here and watching while not coaching.

"Be smart. I'm here" tends to have the desired impact often and leaves no question or grumbling when they do commit the anticipated foul that I subsequently call.

Try and not say, “in your own time’ or ‘sometime today please’. I preferred ‘It’s your time you’re wasting, I’m adding this on’ or ‘hurry up please, or my dinner will be in the dog! 😂

Back